ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 172 will be with us soon .

After purchasing our 172 about a month ago which we knew had a fault with the engine cutting out, the car was dropped off at Westbourne Motorsport . Now this was the 49k 172 that appeared on pistonheads for £1500 as the owner didn't have time to fix the fault and his garage had already failed to sort it .
You can imagine it was a gamble as it looked like it was going to be a pain to find as it cut the engine out every few miles (reset by switching the ignition on and off)

Well they looked at the long list of fault codes and worked out that the common area was the ecu and knowing that had been swapped out they eventually found a broken wire under the gearbox which was the feed to the relay for the ecu power ..... all good

So then i had them fit a superquiet Ktec stealth (yeah old and boring i know we are ) and give the car a once over , its got an impeccable history already,but being one of the leading clio cup teams their attention to detail is excellent , so we found it really needed new handbrake cables , new rear pads , new rear shocks (fitted stock cup dampers for now) front ball joints to get it tip top ...

Now can't wait to pick it up, actually excited about it despite having 2 much quicker performance cars in the garage as i see this as a little project .

Going to get it up to surrey rolling road and see where we are starting from (can't imagine much of a gain from the exhaust) and then decide what to do next , will search out another set of turini's (if anyone knows of a set shout ) or get some 2118's as i'll no doubt fit some track rubber to those so we can do a track day now and again ...

Anyone got an opinion on the RS2 intake manifold from stone ? as they are local , and it looks very tidy and they report decent gains .

then its the minefield of working out which coilovers to finally fit as i really would like this to be nicely understated, but the sort of track car that surprised people ..... we kept our 205 4 years plus, so i can see this staying for a while,but after my bill for sorting the problems i certainly picked up a bargain 172 cup even after the works all been done ;)

Will take some pics when i pick it up later this afternoon , next on the agenda is finding some turini's as a spare set , and getting the originals refurbished , any recommendations on that in the surrey area gratefully received , would prefer to get them stripped and powdercoated .

the original advert with the "before pics" is here http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3779926.htm

drove it home , 38mpg , and that not hanging about (amazed as used to 20mpg V8) the squiet stealth from Ktec is exactly that , car drives really nice and sharp , and overall really pleased , and yes i have ended up with a total bargain .

dsc0001mxz.jpg

dsc0002yw.jpg

E46 320D Tourer!
Lovely looking cup there dude. Miss mine?! That exhaust needs jacking up though! Sitting really low imo.

i agree the exhaust looks low , will take a look when i get a chance , will be on the hangers it came with , maybe just needs adjusting .

Nice one, glad to see you got it sorted. I remember seeing this ad when I was on the search for my 172.

Im looking at getting the SPAX SRX coilovers, they seem good and should offer me what I want.