ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

TTRS & V50
Definitely getting the Gen2 now there is GPS, I cannot stand running with my phone.

Pricing wise though.

£300 ($400) in the USA.
£400 here.

Not planning on going there until April, so I'll suck up the £100 premium. Before the Brexit talk, it's not just that, I think they are doing a fast one as the EU is making them pay their tax bill, so they subsequently upped their prices. I say this because GoPro have release their new camera. £300 ($400) in the USA, £350 here.

How is this legal ?

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Really want a gen 2 watch.
Will be ideal for running, swimming etc!

Gonna be an expensive couple of months with this & GoPro karma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Definitely getting the Gen2 now there is GPS, I cannot stand running with my phone.

Pricing wise though.

£300 ($400) in the USA.
£400 here.

Not planning on going there until April, so I'll suck up the £100 premium. Before the Brexit talk, it's not just that, I think they are doing a fast one as the EU is making them pay their tax bill, so they subsequently upped their prices. I say this because GoPro have release their new camera. £300 ($400) in the USA, £350 here.

How is this legal ?

It's just the way of the world...They're even more expensive in Scandinavia.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
All the time I look I get more tempted by this.. then give the old one to the misses.

Go Florida tomorrow for two weeks and no doubt if it is a good price ill get it ha.

TTRS & V50
You know you don't have to buy their products right?

Yes, completely. I hate people that moan about the price of XYZ (exceptions, Council Tax, Gas, Electric etc.), they're all material objects. I'm mearly moaning about the difference comparing GoPro to Apple, not directly USA to UK.

Plus,

so I'll suck up the £100 premium.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's f**king brilliant!

Hit my exercise goals yo fat and tested out the swimming, swam 1200m and its very accurate.

I have no idea about most of the functions still at the moment as I've never used one and haven't read a manual.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It's f**king brilliant!

Hit my exercise goals yo fat and tested out the swimming, swam 1200m and its very accurate.

I have no idea about most of the functions still at the moment as I've never used one and haven't read a manual.

Enjoying it more than the upgraded phone?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Enjoying it more than the upgraded phone?
I think so, but if I had gone from a watch 1 to a 2 I probably wouldn't, it's a brand new piece of tech for me. I'm loving not having to get my phone out of my pocket all the time to see what's popped up though! Glancing at it while driving is useful too to see what's going on. Trying to teach myself to look at it to tell the time too......

What I don't like, is not being able to decide whether to wear the Apple Watch or a proper timepiece on a night out!

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
I think so, but if I had gone from a watch 1 to a 2 I probably wouldn't, it's a brand new piece of tech for me. I'm loving not having to get my phone out of my pocket all the time to see what's popped up though! Glancing at it while driving is useful too to see what's going on. Trying to teach myself to look at it to tell the time too......

What I don't like, is not being able to decide whether to wear the Apple Watch or a proper timepiece on a night out!
id say apple watch all the time, get rid of the rolex's ;P ps il take a rolex off you for cheap haha

but on a real note, i had a apple 1 and liked it but got rid of it for my rolex and tudor but tempted to get the 2 purly for swimming and gym also my runs too. i do obsticles courses like tough mudder, spartan etc so wondering if it be able to take the pounding of the mud as be nice to track my times

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Watch OS3 has really improved things IMO, definitely a worthwhile update

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I quite like the look of the Hermes face (square face on a square watch works best imo) and Hermes single leather strap...Isn't £1200 on a smart watch financial suicide?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Watch lasted nearly 3 days on a charge, not bad including a swim.

Still really impressed with it, especially as a swimming tracker.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I quite like the look of the Hermes face (square face on a square watch works best imo) and Hermes single leather strap...Isn't £1200 on a smart watch financial suicide?

Pretty much all the straps are a total rip. If you're after a decent leather strap then look to etsy as there are loads of hand crafted ones with very good reviews for a fraction of the price.

Apple can obviously do what they want and they more than likely don't give a f**k how expensive they are because they're raking it in, I don't mind paying for decent electronics, but £500-£600 for a strap - bonkers.

As an example, the Apple 42mm milanese strap in black is now £200 (it was circa £170 until Apple hiked all the prices across the board the other week)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016QAI2E8/?tag=cliospnet01-21

is 12 quid, not only can I not tell any difference wearing it to the Apple strap, but it's really well made and more importantly comes in multiple shades which match more than the 2 SS varieties.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Watch lasted nearly 3 days on a charge, not bad including a swim.

+1

I'm really impressed with the battery life, I was expecting it (from what I'd read about the previous version) to barely last a day, I don't think I've seen it go below 80% yet.

Hugely important feature for me is that Medisafe have an app which works with the phone, I'm so f**king busy these days that when my alert comes up on the phone I think "I'll take those in a second" - then I forget and only realise an hour or so later or when my wife says "Have you taken your tablets". Because it's on my wrist it's pretty hard to ignore.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Every day this impresses me more, the health and exercise tracking combined with the activity app on the iPhone is brilliant.

So much information, and I have it synced with a calorie counting app called lifesum too, tells me when to drink water, stand up, breath, its running my life.

Worth every penny!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Quick question I'm hoping someone on here will know as I've searched with google and checked the user guide with no luck.

When I do a workout, the timer that's running is sometimes yellow numbers, sometimes red numbers, anyone know what the difference is please?

I'm guessing maybe heart Rate?

Quick question I'm hoping someone on here will know as I've searched with google and checked the user guide with no luck.

When I do a workout, the timer that's running is sometimes yellow numbers, sometimes red numbers, anyone know what the difference is please?

I'm guessing maybe heart Rate?

Is that not the type of goal you do? Open exercise is green, timed is yellow, calories red(?)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Is that not the type of goal you do? Open exercise is green, timed is yellow, calories red(?)
Hmmm, possibly, although it changed through the swim, sometimes it was red, others yellow, I set a distance target.
I only saw yellow on last nights swim. I'll monitor it.

Thanks for the response.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So, are these pointless for anyone not into exercise?

The waterproof, swimming, gym tracking things all sound useful if you're into that stuff. But it seems like it'll be wasted on me.

I don't think I bring myself to buy one just to save pulling my phone from my pocket to check notifications.

dk

911 GTS Cab
not at all, it has loads of apps you can use on it, like outlook for work emails, apple pay etc.

But by not using it for exercise its probably a much harder justification really id say, I mean, it does tell the time too ;) Nice having the date on my wrist too so that i dont has to get my phone out of my pocket.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
So, are these pointless for anyone not into exercise?

The waterproof, swimming, gym tracking things all sound useful if you're into that stuff. But it seems like it'll be wasted on me.

I don't think I bring myself to buy one just to save pulling my phone from my pocket to check notifications.
Yup, I am a lazy git who rarely exercises but I use my Apple Watch constantly for alerts, messages, etc... with the new OS3 you can write proper replies from the watch now, rather than the preset yes, no, ok, bye, style of responses, you use your finger as a pen, very clever. Also handy for someone like me who travels for work as I have airline apps on there, flight alerts & info, boarding pass on your arm, etc.

TTRS & V50
Bought the Series2 at the weekend.

I didn't read about battery life, I assumed it would be a week or so, when I got home I then read it was 18 hours. s**t start to ownership.

First full day today. 7AM - 10PM, barely used it at work, then went for a 3 mile run. It's now 72%. I think the 18 hour must be constant use, but who constantly uses a watch, it's a pain in the arse. Overall I can live with the battery life, not quite a week I would expect, but hey.

Now for the gripe. I'm pretty sure I got a WhatsApp notification on it yesterday, but now none are coming through nor can I find the app anywhere ? What's going on there.

Onto the potential deal breaker. Went for a run like I said earlier using the Nike Run Club, finished it and got home and synced with phone. Now the whole point I got this watch is so that I don't have to run with my phone. Anyway, synced it up and now it tells me to track routes you need to run with your iPhone. What a load of s**t, what's the point in the GPS then ? So I'm probably going to return it and run with my phone again so I can get my routes.

TTRS & V50
Yup, I am a lazy git who rarely exercises but I use my Apple Watch constantly for alerts, messages, etc... with the new OS3 you can write proper replies from the watch now, rather than the preset yes, no, ok, bye, style of responses, you use your finger as a pen, very clever. Also handy for someone like me who travels for work as I have airline apps on there, flight alerts & info, boarding pass on your arm, etc.

Love the Airline/Boarding pass feature, so so handy. However I guarantee you will get some airports that will make you take it off your wrist because of the scanner location.

Onto the using your finger as a pen - great. However I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm not left handed... So unless you wear your watch on the opposite arm to your writing hand it's not that greater feature.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Well you're just weird then as 'normal' people wear their watch on their non-writing wrist.
Love the Airline/Boarding pass feature, so so handy. However I guarantee you will get some airports that will make you take it off your wrist because of the scanner location.

Onto the using your finger as a pen - great. However I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm not left handed... So unless you wear your watch on the opposite arm to your writing hand it's not that greater feature.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Bought the Series2 at the weekend.

I didn't read about battery life, I assumed it would be a week or so, when I got home I then read it was 18 hours. s**t start to ownership.

First full day today. 7AM - 10PM, barely used it at work, then went for a 3 mile run. It's now 72%. I think the 18 hour must be constant use, but who constantly uses a watch, it's a pain in the arse. Overall I can live with the battery life, not quite a week I would expect, but hey.

Now for the gripe. I'm pretty sure I got a WhatsApp notification on it yesterday, but now none are coming through nor can I find the app anywhere ? What's going on there.

Onto the potential deal breaker. Went for a run like I said earlier using the Nike Run Club, finished it and got home and synced with phone. Now the whole point I got this watch is so that I don't have to run with my phone. Anyway, synced it up and now it tells me to track routes you need to run with your iPhone. What a load of s**t, what's the point in the GPS then ? So I'm probably going to return it and run with my phone again so I can get my routes.
That's really you're own fault if you assumed it would last a week, this isn't like the other watches out there really and I even posted in here it lasts about 2 days for me.

There is no whatsapp app for the watch, you just get notifications that you have a message on your phone. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure they're working on it.

I think you'll need to either use the apple activity app to track your runs or use an app that supports the data from the watch to import. You don't need the phone to track a run, you use the activity section on the watch and it works fine. I then see all the data in the activity app.

It must be possible with Nike as they have brought out a Nike version of the watch.

Personally I think your main gripes are not enough research and not using it as intended at the moment.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If you are using your phone and you get a WhatsApp notification then it won't some through on the watch, you,lol only get the notification if the phone is in standby.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
f**king autocorrect.....

It won't come through on the watch you'll only get the notification if the phone is in standby.

it's because in the case of whatsapp the watch is just mirroring what's on the phone.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Pre-watch I just used my phone for boarding passes, so can use that if required.
I am right handed, my watch is on my left hand, so no issues here, you must be in the minority to be fair.

TTRS & V50
That's really you're own fault if you assumed it would last a week, this isn't like the other watches out there really and I even posted in here it lasts about 2 days for me.

There is no whatsapp app for the watch, you just get notifications that you have a message on your phone. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure they're working on it.

I think you'll need to either use the apple activity app to track your runs or use an app that supports the data from the watch to import. You don't need the phone to track a run, you use the activity section on the watch and it works fine. I then see all the data in the activity app.

It must be possible with Nike as they have brought out a Nike version of the watch.

Personally I think your main gripes are not enough research and not using it as intended at the moment.

Oh, complete lack of research, I think my post sums this up. You don't have to drive a Renault Sport Clio to know it's fast, you assume it, although those assumptions may be wrong...

Anyway.

Found out that the Nike app doesn't even support GPS on the watch yet. Why would Apple partner with a company that can't even update their app to support GPS. Pretty bad to be honest. Nike have told me that it will be coming in soon, I assume it will come when they release that Nike watch strap thing. It's probably another reason why that is delayed so the developers have more time to support GPS.

So from that point of view I won't be returning it anymore. I just thought it wasn't possible.

Pre-watch I just used my phone for boarding passes, so can use that if required.
I am right handed, my watch is on my left hand, so no issues here, you must be in the minority to be fair.

Yeah I probably am, my Mrs tells me I wear it on the wrong wrist.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Oh, complete lack of research, I think my post sums this up. You don't have to drive a Renault Sport Clio to know it's fast, you assume it, although those assumptions may be wrong...

Anyway.

Found out that the Nike app doesn't even support GPS on the watch yet. Why would Apple partner with a company that can't even update their app to support GPS. Pretty bad to be honest. Nike have told me that it will be coming in soon, I assume it will come when they release that Nike watch strap thing. It's probably another reason why that is delayed so the developers have more time to support GPS.

So from that point of view I won't be returning it anymore. I just thought it wasn't possible.

Yeah I probably am, my Mrs tells me I wear it on the wrong wrist.
the nike version gets released in the next couple of weeks i think, so shouldnt be too long. Doesn't the nike app on the phone support importing data from the activity app on the watch?

The apps i use support that, so the app itself doesn't need to support gps on the watch as it just grabs the raw data from the watch when the phone sees it again after the activity (just like the swimming activity it logged.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I like the strap on the Nike version, like neon Swiss cheese, won't be long until cheap Chinese replica straps are on eBay LOL

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
@dk how are you getting on with your watch? Novelty warn off or are you still enjoying it?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up one of these at the weekend. I never thought I'd be interested but I'm finding it really useful, I've bought a few Milanese straps from Amazon so I can swap them around. No way I'm paying £150 to Apple for their version.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Picked up one of these at the weekend. I never thought I'd be interested but I'm finding it really useful, I've bought a few Milanese straps from Amazon so I can swap them around. No way I'm paying £150 to Apple for their version.
I bought the simpeak space grey one and it's a very good match for the space grey watch.

£12!

I've tried the Milanese on in the Apple Store and I can't tell any difference apart from the £12 one actually matching the colour of the watch.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
From my point of view the heart rate monitor is actually kind of useful.....

b53a41f98701feb8fb957f13de9166c9.jpg

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
This is my £9 Amazon strap, the magnet is super strong which is quite surprising. Just got to see how long it is before the colour comes off. I've got the Cocoa brown sport strap which is super comfy.

cf0f04db33b99bc5f44b4f99499a3973.jpg