ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Beast is back!

VW Potato

if your pops has bought it back, the it was meant to be. And meant to be means heirloom Rob...you might want to point that out to your dad as you clean his shoes and prepare his tea, and mow the lawn and paint the house and... :D

g

Ive seen how much the company car tax is, i love it my i dont get quite as emotionally attached!

Mike our house got a makeover a couple of years back, has an extension and proper roof,. no garage though.

your neighbours must get very jealous with you having the db7 and all the driving round in such lesser cars oh and you have an m3 aswell. they must spend all their cash on pebble dashing their houses lol

lol my dad doesnt live with the rest of us, has them all locked up at his own place so its normally my clio and my mums golf diesel!

THe bloke across the road with the blue garage went karting with me and to the right is a renault dealer (espace and clio you can just see) so all neighbours are well into cars so pretty sweet.

-Rob

hehehohohaha sorry just read the bit about 172 faster than DB7 hehhehehe pick myself up off the floor!!!

apologies if the 172 really is quicker and if it is then damn what have you done to it!!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Maybe it isnt really his dads car! He could have just taken a picture of someone elses car he saw parked up somewhere!!

Whatever does someone want with an M3 AND a DB7? What does BAB stand for? Surely Robs dad would have his own initials on the car!!

noel-pilot, erm ehhm well yes a 172 is quicker than an original DB7. The original DB7 running the in line 6 cylinder engine developed about the same power as a the jag xjr (320, maybe nearer to 350) for a weight of 1700-1800Kg. Simple maths produce 177-194 bhp/ton. given the extra weight and crap jag xjs chassis, that car would have NO chance on track against a 172/cup.

now, a newer generation DB7 with 400+ bhp would be a better match, but I wouldnt bet the family silver on a twisty track between even a vantage and a well driven cup.

Ive driven high powered heavy cars for a long time, and when it came to having fun on track, I went for the cup. If I didnt need occasional back seats, would have gone for a caterham R300/400/500 that would wipe the floor with any aston/bmw etc ..

BAB stands for the British Accreditation Bureau, my dads company, all of his cars have BAB on the end of the reg. The Brabus Smart has L11 BAB and the Range Rover has B1G BAB.

Philip we had an old IE6 too, the early DB7 youre referring too, they still were fast, 0-60 in 5.8 and would do around 160mph. However your missing the point, the DB7 is a grand tourer, not a race car. The chassis isnt as simple as a crap XJS chassis. The supercharger whine was pants though.

-Rob

I was addressing the point made by noel-pilot, re a DB& being categorically faster than a 172. My point is that at least under specific track/circuit conditions, an inline 6 DB7 wouldnt hold up to a 172. Thats all I was trying to say.

On the DB7 being a GT etc, I agree. On the XKS chassis being crap, I maintain my point. The chassis on an XK8/R was way ahead of the inline 6 DB7 chassis, and although an XKR cost 20 grand less, it easily toasted the inline 6 Astons (5.2s 0-60)

anyway, Ive gone completely off heavy GT cars. You just cant drive them fast other than in a straight line.

Id like you to try the aston before making a decision, the handling is actually good, however again you dont buy the car to throw around corners. You seem to be someone who doesnt quite get it. Astons dont have to be perfect, in fact id hate them to be, getting one is definetly a heart over head choice.

Oh I get it Rob, or I should say I got it as I am no longer interested in that type of car. Maybe Im now using my head as you say.. Anyway, no trying to debate this to death. I agree the Aston is a nice car.