ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cheapest, lowest spec imac for developing

E36 328
Hi there,

I am wondering how cheaply I might be able to get into developing iphone apps. I have had a quick google but people just talk about the macs that would be best, not necessarily cheapest.

How much would i be looking to pay for the cheapest as possible imac? and the same for a macbook? And what are the names of these imacs/macbooks, i really know nothing about macs :)

Thanks

I've been told that it costs an absolute fortune to get your app approved and onto the App Store. A yearly fee plus you only get 70% of revenue. Same with Blackberry but I think thats even worse at something like $200 per app to apply, but don't quote me on this, just something I heard.

Andriod apps are easier to get distributed I think

Last edited:
  E36 328
Really?? Do you have to pay for each app you submit then? Yeah I know about the yearly fee and the amount of revenue you get but i just thought that was it??

Developing android apps wouldnt be much use to me, i have an iphone ;)

Cupra
Can you not just use VMware with a virtual OS machine? It works fine on my PC, but I am only tinkering and not coding.

I've been told that it costs an absolute fortune to get your app approved and onto the App Store. A yearly fee plus you only get 70% of revenue. Same with Blackberry but I think thats even worse at something like $200 per app to apply, but don't quote me on this, just something I heard.

Andriod apps are easier to get distributed I think

Complete and utter crap.

Cheapest way is to get a MacMini. As long as it's an Intel one you'll be fine. Can get a second hand for probably £300.

On the app side of things, Blackberry costs £200 for 10 submissions to their app store. When you supply an update/new app it uses one of your submissions, even if it is rejected. Apple carge a flat fee of £60 a year, free to stick apps up but do take a percentage of your revenue

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol if only i could make an app.

i have some epic ideas for game apps... tbh, i should learn how to make apps really. however, i don't think it would be that easy.

LY 182
lol if only i could make an app.

i have some epic ideas for game apps... tbh, i should learn how to make apps really. however, i don't think it would be that easy.

Depends how good an idea it is really.

Just think about Angry Birds. The person / company responsible for that must of made a fortune!

If you think you have a great idea and have some money, outsource that mother fucker.

Making it yourself is half the fun.

I could outsource but I want to do it myself. The chances of creating another Angry Birds are slimmer than winning the lottery, but it gives me something to do and keeps me out of trouble.

Plus I'm a geek. I like this sort of thing.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah i searched google yesterday and came across this...

http://gamesalad.com/

some of the games are proper dog s**t but i think if you had the necessary skills and time you could make a good one.

but tbh, the beast of a game i want to make is not that simple if i am honest... :/

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If you're not a programmer or you don't think logically then you're going to get nowhere.

Understanding objective c is one thing, understanding logic and how to actually make a program are something else.

I've seen really intelligent people completely stumped by even the simplest of computing problems, it's painful to watch.