ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cost of matched inlets

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
My local engineering company is doing mine on my 172 for £25.

I know BenR's will have a lot more work in them and he ports the full thing but for the others who just machine the openings where do they get prices of over £100 from?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Sure guys. Its not some dodgy back street place. They are very skilled guys.

They made this for my MX-5. Skyline fitment turbo downpipe adaptor. I told them when i wanted and they designed it and made the CAD program and made it for me all for £30!

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

2005 Nissan Navara
3hrs @ £40/hr =£120

If they can do a nice job for £25 (when most machine shops charge £40/hr) the your onto a winner.

2005 Nissan Navara
Small local machine shop FTW lol

must be very small if they charge £8.33 per hour....

have you actually given them the parts to work? or was it a verbal discussion about matching inlets in general?

either way, get some pics up when its done.

RB 182 cup
just a bloke i know that flows heads etc he did one on my corsa.

does a very good job as he does it for a living

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
must be very small if they charge £8.33 per hour....

have you actually given them the parts to work? or was it a verbal discussion about matching inlets in general?

either way, get some pics up when its done.

Yep they've got them. They're just doing them in down time as i'm not in a hurry for them.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Yep they've got them. They're just doing them in down time as i'm not in a hurry for them.

Do they do a drive-in service?

The location is ideal, can't seem to find anyone who do it round are way.

RS RIP
wow Tom's one looks much better then the one i got from Angelworks..

Mine only has the ends done :(

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Do they do a drive-in service?

The location is ideal, can't seem to find anyone who do it round are way.

I doubt it. They have a lot of big work on. They make huge corn hoppers as well as custom agricultural stuff. The car stuff is just a hobbie of the owner.

someone can tell me the exactly steps to do it,?I'm very interested maybe my turner can helps me but i need the steps

THANKS​

M

mini-valver

The size of the runners isn't the issue, so porting the whole thing will make little, if any difference. You may even find it has a negative effect. You still have the same size head ports, making the manifolds equal to those and have no steps/variation in the runner mating (maching them to each other) is where you gain.

RS RIP
The size of the runners isn't the issue, so porting the whole thing will make little, if any difference. You may even find it has a negative effect. You still have the same size head ports, making the manifolds equal to those and have no steps/variation in the runner mating (maching them to each other) is where you gain.

the runners on the "RS" manifolds are wider all the way through and when the non "RS" manifolds are matched the bend in the runner is still small/more narrow than the one on a RS one..

Audi TT
b****cks. Mine was an RS item but swapped for a matched one at Jamsport. Noticed no difference at all and it doesn't look as nice as mine did as it's not as clean :(

As said the runner size is fine, the match is very poor.

Just clean them up, get rid of as many casting faults as possible on the entry to the port and get the sizes correct for a good match. That'll give you as good a result as you're going to get out of the standard manifold.

Cheers
M

This quite simply shows that the internet is a terrible place, but a fantastic example of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

The typical attitude to 'porting' is bigger is better, and that is a very 1970's thought process. With airflow management (which is a better term for what we are aiming to do with cylinder heads/induction systems) the aim is to deliver the required air mass at the correct velocity with the least pumping and efficiency loss. Does this mean honk out as much ally as you can? If your a simpleton yes.

Big ports mean one thing.........for the finite level of mass that the stock inlet manifold can deliver, which will be no more than a few percent between variations, you will have a lower air speed index in critical areas......and quite simply put, that means lower cylinder filling.

Why do I not 'port' (god I hate that term) the whole length?
Because it is counter productive and gains nothing. I have done enough of these manifolds and invested enough time into preparing a modification which provides all that is required and converting it to a CNC process. If you wanted the whole runner done, expect higher prices and less torque.......and maybe 1-2bhp peak extra. And as far as I'm concerned.....2bhp peak is of very little use when the ratio of torque change is higher than the ratio at lower rpm in a higher gear......simply put....less m/s2.

The RS manifolds are larger throughout yes.......but they also tend to make the least torque out of all the 'finished' modified manifold combinations, as they lower airspeed around the critical bend in the manifold. So just dont be one of those internet people who's thought process go about as far as 'oooh its shiny all the way through'.

In high level motorsport, your likely to be fired for wasting company time 'cleaning up' a rough cnc finished inlet/cylinder head.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I think I understand that.... Too Large loses Air Flow Speed so Results in Dipped Torque Figures?

Airflow management is complex, and the days of just opening out ports and manifolds are gone. If it was still the case then you can get anything extrude honed for pennies.

If people truely understood then they wouldn't complain at £50/hr labour rates for top level 'porters'....its back breaking skilled work......whereas £70-120/hr for a plumber in london or a accountant to fill out basic tax forms for you is fine......

340i
Airflow management is complex, and the days of just opening out ports and manifolds are gone. If it was still the case then you can get anything extrude honed for pennies.

If people truely understood then they wouldn't complain at £50/hr labour rates for top level 'porters'....its back breaking skilled work......whereas £70-120/hr for a plumber in london or a accountant to fill out basic tax forms for you is fine......

so so true!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Agreed ^^^^^

No way in hell would I ever give my Inlets to any ol Tom Dick and Harry and get them to just hack out some of the material just to save £100