ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The ol' Amp power cable through the bulk head topic. sorry!

Punto Evo Abarth
hey!, im REALLY sorry for asking this (looked on search and theres most of the info) i just wanted someone to give me a bit more info, i have a 03 clio, i have read that the bonnet release cable is in the passenger footwell (just behind the glovebox).

Firstly have i red this right? I have a 8 guage cable, do i need to poke the gromit with a screwdrive to get it through?

And secondly i read/red (however its spelt) that you have to remove somthing in the engine bay to get to the cable, What is it i have to remove, do i just take it out or do i have to disconnect it from stuff?

It would be GREATLY apreciated if someone could do a step by step guide then maybe make it a sticky?

Again, i am really sorry for posting this, but i am concerned if i don't know what im doing i could possibly mess my car up.

Thanks loads in advance. :)

VX220 Turbo
aghhhhhhhh how difficult is it to search threads.

lift the power steering resevoir tank up and put hand behind sound deadening u'll feel the grommet there

Milltek'd 182
unclip and lift resevoir tank to take off fixings, leave to hang down. feel behind lining to where the cable goes through and theres your grom!

Black 172...KN53EL*
Once you've got the reservoir unclipped (it comes off by pressing to reease the clip & pulling it upwards - it will be stiff though). You can then put ya arm down behind the sound deadening material and feel the grommet - it makes it easier if you put a screwdriver through the grommet.

The way I got the cable through was to tape the wire to a terminal screwdriver, then force it through the grommet - takes a bit of force but thats whats needed. Once through, I kinda kept hold of the wire & twisted & pulled on the screwdriver so as not to pull the wire back through with it.

You can then reach back down from the engine bay & pull the wire through.

To do this though I had to cut the end of the wire with the eye for the battery terminal off the wire then solder it back on once through.

Punto Evo Abarth
i would but i dont know anyone, theres no power steering resevior where you said, theres nothing there, i want to know what the other side of the gromit looks like, is it just a holoe or does it follow around the bonnet realese cable for about 3/4cm?

Black 172...KN53EL*
engni0.png

Can you not get your hand / arm down there & feel for it ? If you poke a screwdriver throught the grommet it will make it easier to find. All the grommet is, is a rubber "bung" to stop the wire rubbing against bare metal & to stop the rain / spray getting inside the car.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its piss easy on one of them, you dont need to move any bottles, did mine in bout 5 mins, where are you based?

bowever my 172 took 2 days

Punto Evo Abarth
nah i havnt done it yet, i have a very short fuse and i got very annouyed last night. i celetaped (sp) the wire to a screwdriver, but the wire just slid down as i tried to poke it through!? :( Im in peterborough btw.

Black 172...KN53EL*
Keep hold of the screwdriver & the lead as tight as you can so it won't slip, then give it a firm shove.

Clio 1.4
Im having the same damn problem the bonnet release gromet is so tight i cant get it through i might just drill a new hole.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
It's tuff, but just keep giving it ago.

I screwed a screw into the end of the power cable, which made it alot easier and rigid to push through.

A nail would even better I guess.

i taped metal wire on my cable, pushed the metal wire through the bonnet cable grommit and pulled it through. works a treat but very okward to do! takes patience

get a metal coat hanger,make a hook on it,put an o ring terminal on the wire and pull it through takes 2 seconds then