ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 won't start - help!

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys, I know this has come up before but I have tried the solutions posed in the many threads on this and no joy. My clio started fine this morning. This evening when I hopped in it smelled a bit like fuel - like it did this morning - I turned the key but didn't realise it was still in gear, the car lurched forward. After this it now will not turn over. The immobiliser light flashes intermittently even though the car is unlocked. There is a single clicking noise followed by a series of noises that I can't describe but they repeat. Also this morning my footwells had about 1cm of water in them, presumably from clogged drains under the scuttle panel which I intended to fix when I got home but I am currently stuck in the office!

The car is far from standard so the troubleshooting is more complex, brief setup is ITB's, GEN90, Cartek solid state isolater. There is a small amount of fuel leaking from the first injector on drivers side.

I have tried:
Checking gearbox earth cable, all looks ok.
I have a voltage indicator in the car, 12.4v. It does go blank when I turn the key, as do the clocks.
Rocked the car back and forward in gear to try and unblock the starter motor
"Resetting" the immobiliser - key in, on position, 30s, key in, off position 30s, key in, on position, 30s. I put resetting in quotes as I have read numerous posts from Mick@Diamond motors that the immo cannot be reset.
Holding the button on the key to try and reset.

Could it be that the ecu is noticing that one of the injectors is goosed? I've read it could be a fuse but I'm not sure where to start, same story with the wiring. Could it be the immobiliser? What else can I do to rule that out? I'm a bit lost as to where to go now, do I call out a mobile auto electrician? Is he going to know what he's looking for considering the heavily modified state of the car? Can anyone recommend a good one in west London?

Sorry for the long post full of questions! Hopefully someone can help

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Is the noise its making like a rapid fire clicking when you turn the key? that is almost always a sign the battery needs charging or changing.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
No, not like that. There is a quick tick tick about half a second after i turn, then a second click after that. The noise i describe in the op is almost like a maah maah maah maah (sorry crap onomatopoeia) but its not a clicking.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
It looks ok to me, it's one piece, attached at both ends, when I wiggled a few tiny bits did flake off. I'll take a pic tomorrow in the light. I've left it at the office and taking the bus home, the shame...

Thanks for the replies guys

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Quick update, tried jumping off my mates Corsa, nothing. Connected jump lead to battery and gearbox to create earth, nothing. removed TDC sensor, looked ok, sprayed with WD40, nothing. Rocked car back and forth again, nothing. Multimeter over battery indicates 13.1v which drops to 12.8v when ignition is turned.

Earth lead condition as below, looks ok to me?
1569497596794.png
1569497628163.png

Any other ideas guys? Don't want to try and bump it as its parked in a sloping parking bay and I don't think I'd be able to get it back in there should it not work.

The immo light stays solid when you first turn the key, then turns off along with the other dash lights after a couple seconds then doesn't flash afterwards.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't there a post a while back where the earth strap looked fine but the car was a no-go. The owner replaced it with a new one and it was instantly ok.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't there a post a while back where the earth strap looked fine but the car was a no-go. The owner replaced it with a new one and it was instantly ok.
There's lots of threads about this issue and none of the solutions I've tried from them are working. I would have thought that bodging an earth from the -ve terminal to the box would do the same.
Does it actually turn over?
No mate, it doesn't do anything other than make a clicking noise from near the fuse box.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked the earth wire from the loom that attaches to the back of the gearbox?
Is that a second one, different to the one pictured above?

Maybe speak to Alex at AWAutoworks, he's down your way.

He might have a better idea. It's 99.9% electrical though.
Thanks for the recomendation, is he the one in Stockton-on-Tees? I'm actually in London so not that close!

I spoke to Mark Fish just now (done quite a bit of work on the car for me) he thinks its the starter motor thats jammed or failed and recommended trying a bump start.

Have you got a jump lead.. hardwire the Neg to the chassis/gearbox and see if it will start.
Yes tried that, thanks though

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Worth a go bumping it, but as you say if it's parked on a slope then you won't get it back up there if it doesn't work.

Need to make sure there's somewhere to park it if it fails.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Worth a go bumping it, but as you say if it's parked on a slope then you won't get it back up there if it doesn't work.

Need to make sure there's somewhere to park it if it fails.
That's it mate, a bit risky but I think it's gotta be done to rule it out. I'll round up a couple lads from the office to help me out. If it does start, do you think that would mean it's the starter motor for sure? How much of a prick of a job is it to replace?

Yes that's the one, slide the covering back and check it.
1569505509003.png

What do you think? A bit greast and corroded but looks ok? All in one piece which is a start.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If it starts then yeah it'll be the starter.

I believe it's quite fiddly but it can be dropped in from the top. @Louis did his recently iircc.

Was meant to say AW Motorworks before not Autoworks. He's at Duton Hill, Dunmow CM6 2EE

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yep it can be dropped in from above but you need to get under it to manoeuvre it. Look at my thread where I post a link to the guide and the exact position it needs to be in.

Fit heatshield whilst starter is loose and from above

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the help guys. Managed to get it roll started and back home. When I got there I flicked it off and just out of curiosity tried to fire it and it came on first time! Thoroughly confused now, I guess it was just jammed? Hopefully tomorrow it doesn't decide to get up to the same trick.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the help guys. Managed to get it roll started and back home. When I got there I flicked it off and just out of curiosity tried to fire it and it came on first time! Thoroughly confused now, I guess it was just jammed? Hopefully tomorrow it doesn't decide to get up to the same trick.

Probably just caught it wrong on the starter as it was in the middle of disengaging.

At least it's sorted. A tap with a hammer will probably sort it next time.

dan's cast offs.
yup, the green one that's corroded to death and will fall apart if you wiggle it for ten seconds ;)

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't start this morning 😭 is Bosch (7711134301) the genuine starter motor? Other brands worth considering?

2004 RB182 Cup
I have a starter motor and heat shield for sale which I bought off the forum. I had a similar issue to you so bought the starter but it turned out to be the earth lead from battery to chassis on my 182. So it's now surplus to requirements. After £20 plus p&p for starter and heatshield.

Tom

OliverD

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Quick update, tried jumping off my mates Corsa, nothing. Connected jump lead to battery and gearbox to create earth, nothing. removed TDC sensor, looked ok, sprayed with WD40, nothing. Rocked car back and forth again, nothing. Multimeter over battery indicates 13.1v which drops to 12.8v when ignition is turned.

Earth lead condition as below, looks ok to me?
View attachment 1435295View attachment 1435296

Any other ideas guys? Don't want to try and bump it as its parked in a sloping parking bay and I don't think I'd be able to get it back in there should it not work.

The immo light stays solid when you first turn the key, then turns off along with the other dash lights after a couple seconds then doesn't flash afterwards.
I had the same issue exactly as you. Earth strap looked fine but that was the issue. They’re not much from Halfords or to make your own.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Quick update, I got it home but the next morning it wouldn't turn over again. Took a punt on a second hand starter motor off eBay for £9(!) and got an earth strap from the above seller (Cheers @Louis). Earth strap was shagged but replacing it didn't fix it. Set on to the starter motor, a bit of a pain, didn't have to remove ex. mani just loosen and slide back, rip the old one out, slap the less old one in, fired first time, job done. Thanks for all the help! Glad it wasn't electrical otherwise I'd have no clue.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer had a similar issue with mine, used to hit it with a bar i had in the car and it "unstuck" it and it fired up.