ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The ol swictheroo 3 doors not enough

Evo 7
Hello.
I have just purchased a 182 and i like it as you would expect its a great little car.
I also have a 5 door 1.4 16v mk 2 restyling that i have had for 13 years.
So in a ideal world i would want the engine and running gear from the 182 in the 5 door frame.
I know its not a 2 minute job and will be massively involved i.e engine box subframe suspension rear axle etc etc.
What i would ideally like to know please.
Are the bodys much different?
Has anyone done this?
Is it actually possible?
I know everyone will say its not worth it keep the 182 as it is but ive always liked my 1.4 clio and ive have said since day 1 needs more oomph.
So any information good or bad greatly received.

Thanks

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
It's been done before. iirc the one I'm thinking of also had itb's fitted.
It was dark blue with orange bits from memory

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you got a workshop ? Are you going to be doing the work yourself ? It's a huge undertaking but not impossible. Is it literally to get a 5-door car that is relatively quick ?

Why not sell the 1.4 Clio and buy a 1.6 Focus if you need 5 doors ?! Especially as I am assuming you're not doing the work yourself... it will cost you twice as much as you think and probably just give you grief for years to come.

Evo 7
Yeah i intend to do the work myself.
I have been a mechanic for 20 years and i have space to do it.
If its possible then thats ideal.
I see no reason why renault didnt do a 5 door in the first place.
Gonna see if the 182 as it stands grows on me but to me it feels a dark and dingy where my old one was lighter and brighter and seemed a overly more pleasant atmosphere. (strange i know)
Probably all the window tint and lack of sunroof in the 182 that causes it.

It'll all swap over fine. Even the 182 bodywork will fit if you want to mess around with painting it.

I've always liked the idea of this conversion as I once had a 5 door mk2 Clio and it was handy.