ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Watering Can Mod - GhettoMod Brake Ducts... Because Race Car!

Ph2 Clio 172
Thats right ladies and gents, after the roaring success of the Bucket Mod, I have invented my own gardening utensils based Clio modification. I bring you front brake cooling with the use of this beast...

IMAG0124.jpg

A cheap watering can from your local gardening store!

Actually, if I'm honest, the watering can idea fell flat on its face (details later), but it seemed like a good way to get peoples attention :). So, now that your here, how about a guide to adding fog light front brake cooling ducts without removing the acoustic valve, horns, or carbon canister?

First off, an appology. While I remembered to take a number of photos while doing this, I completely forgot to take a note of the tools that I was using. I will try and mention whats needed as we go along.

Ok, lets get going. First up, jack the car up, put the front on axle stands, and remove the front wheels.

IMAG0120.jpg

Next up remove the wheel arch liners. I didn't take any pictures of this, but there are a lot of guides about. Basically each one is held on with 2 plastic bungs inside the wheel arch, and then 3 torx screw holding the liner to the bumper. One on the inside of the arch, 2 under the bottom of the bumper. They might be hidden under a splitter if you have one fitted.

The fog lights will now be accessible. Just undo the 2 torx screws holding them in and they will come right out. Undo the plastic clip with the wires in and your done.

Remove the fog light surrounds next. they are just clipped in with 4 plastic lugs which can be easily pushed with your fingers from inside the bumper and they just pop out (sorry again for no pics).

So now you have the arch liners off and the lights out its about making space for the ducting. I will be using 100mm ducting, which is a tight fit, but is possible.

First up, passenger side.

IMAG0107.jpg

In the way here are the horns. You could remove one, or dismantle the mount and made a new one. But I just rolled my sleves up and bent the mount pushing the horns out the way. You might want to undo the wires to them first to avoid pulling them to far and damaging them. But in the end you can get them out the way.

IMAG0108.jpg

The view from the front shows that there is 'just' enough room for some ducting.

IMAG0111.jpg

Next up, drivers side. I knew the carbon canister was in the way here, but never knew how much in the way. Initial thoughts were game over here, its gotta come out.

IMAG0113.jpg

But after some poking around I found a way. The canister is held in by being screwed to a metal mount (which you can see above) and then on the other side there is a singe bolt on a plastic 'arm' holding it firm. If you undo just this bolt you can then easily bend the mount to angle the carbon canister out of the way.

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

The view from the front shows that like the passenger side, there is now room, just.

IMAG0119.jpg

Now onto making the ducts themselves. I'm using 100mm single ply ducting. Be warned, this stuff isn't as cheap as you might expect. 1m is going to cost well over a tenner. You need about 30cm each side, but I bought a meter and cut it in half so 50cm on each side which I trimmed down once on the car.

The holes in the fog light surrounds are not perfectly round, they are elongated meaning the 100mm ducting doesn't fit straight on. You have to snip the wire on the end ring in a few places to splay it out and allow it to fit over the hole.

IMAG0126.jpg

Then its just a case of using duct tape (aptly named) to secure the ducting to the surrounds. Be liberal with the tape so its secure, but try not to make it to thick or uneven around the areas at the top and bottom of the surround, as it can get a bit tight fitting them back in later.

After a while you should have 2 lovely ducts ready to go.

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

Next up you need to cut some holes in the arch liners. Again sorry for no pics of this bit, but you can see later on where they were cut. You need to cut a 100mm diameter hole in the bottom inside part of the liner.

Now back out to the car and getting them fitted. Feed the feed through the bumper until its all the way in and you can clip the surround back into its slots on the bumper. It is a tight fit through the hole in the bumper, but if you jiggle it a bit and take your time it goes in. Push the 4 lugs on the fog surround back into their slots and you should get this:

IMAG0136.jpg

Push the ducting together and pin it in somewhere so you can get the arch liner back on without feeling like your wrestling an epileptic elephant. On the passenger side you can hook it on a horn, and on the drivers side theres a little pipe thing that does the job. Refit the arch liners and then reach through the hole and pull the ducting through until its straighten up and no longer compressed inside the bumper (sorry no pics). Once you are sure its right, trim of the excess ducting with a knife and some snips. You might have to stagger it a bit as the pipe doesn't come out completely square with the liner. If you want you can also secure it with a bit of good old duct tape. Try not to have more than a couple of cm of ducting exposes as there isn't much room between the liner and the tyre on full lock.

IMAG0138.jpg

This is now the view from the front

IMAG0140.jpg

Then repeat on the other side.

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

And there you have it. A couple of fog light brake cooling ducts without having to remove anything from behind the bumper. Put your wheels back on, drop it back down, check the clearance by putting it on full lock both ways and checking that the ducting doesn't foul the tyre, and off you go. If you want some better airflow you can add some deflector plates too.

So there you go, GhettoMod Brake Cooling Ducts... Because Race Car!

IMAG0148-1.jpg

But wait, "what about the watering can?" I hear you say. Well, My plan was to make some deflector plate using it, (which I did) but they have turned out to be faaaaar to flimsy to offer any meaningful deflection. But I had some fun making them :).

After a few minutes I had reduced the watering can to this:

IMAG0131.jpg

And a couple of these:

IMAG0132.jpg

I then mounted them in the usual way by using the bolt that is already there holding some sort of suspension bits up (I had no idea what this bolt does, so supported the subframe under it with a jack before undoing it, just in case), a few self tappers and a cable tie.

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

But like I said, what felt like quite sturdy plastic when in the form of a watering can turned out to be really flimsy, so they are going to be next to useless. Having been to Tesco tonight I have spotted that a petrol jerry can might be a better bet. There only a fiver so I might hack one of those apart and see how that goes. Going to need some heavier duty scissors for that though.

So a failed watering can mod, but I think the ducts have turned out quite well. I will have to wait until Rockingham in June to see how they perform on track.

Let the mickey taking commence :)

Ph2 Clio 172
Oh yeah, if your going to take your bumper off for anything (like removing the headlight washers like I did today), don't forget if you have a tow eye in and end up nearly ripping the lower grill out :).

Aside from the watering can bit, I think this is a fairly worthwhile mod for track day cars. In just 3 track days I have warped one set of front discs and had a front pad fail. Extra cooling is always welcome.

You'd have been better off getting air in from behind the stone guard/hub, so it can come out through the disc and cool the whole lot properly. More time and effort, but it's the better way to do it.

Ph2 Clio 172
You'd have been better off getting air in from behind the stone guard/hub, so it can come out through the disc and cool the whole lot properly. More time and effort, but it's the better way to do it.

I'm struggling to get my head around what you mean? Do you mean about getting a pipe in a position so that it would be blowing at 90 degrees to the disk, in the direction of the axle, rather than from the front parallel to the disc like I have here?

I agree it would be a better setup, but its also more expensive and far more complicated. I think a few guys have tried it and routing the ducting can be quite a challenge. This was just meant to be the cheapest and simplest way to get some extra cooling in.

Black Gold Trophy

If you mean what I think you mean, you would never get ducting through there, the crank pulley is in the way.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
This is something I think I'll do, I warped my Brembo HCs on my 1st track day. Because race driver?

Golf GTD Mk7
How's it done on the cup racers? You'd not need to bend into it at 90 degrees. I'll see if I can dig out a picture I took of a Ferrari setup.

Cup racers had a deflector plate (where OP put the watering can ;)) which had a 90degree bend in it. Coming from the side would probably work better, but there isn't much room either side. Iirc someone tried on from under the car, but I can't remember where they were fed to.

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah I think the Cup racers use deflector plates.

A guy did try and feed a pipe to the caliper, but it was a tight fit and was much smaller ducting (~50mm). There are a number of options available, this is just the cheapest.

Great post, I will be using this as a guide when I fit mine.

One thing I will comment on, surly that duct tape (no matter how great it is) will come loose after a few months or even at high speeds. Would securing it with cable ties to the arch liner and fog light bracket?

I have a cold air feed on my other car that uses a 89mm ducting (same as yours) and thats held in place by cable ties...its solid as a rock.

Iv just had a few bad experiences with duct tape becoming brittle and losing its sticky properties over time.

edit, the deflector plate idea is good, never had thought of that.

Ph2 Clio 172
The duct tape holding the pipe to the fog light surrounds should be fine. I did wonder if it was going to be enough but all the extra bits of plastic in the fog light casing (look at the picture of it from the front without the surround on) mean that its a really tight squeeze and the tape and end of the ducting is pinned in between the bits on the bumper and the black surround.

That said I am going to be keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't move. If anything I'm more concerned about the exit of the duct inside the wheel arch as there isn't much room for that to move before it either fouls the tyre or falls back inside the arch liner. A couple of cable ties there might be a good idea.

Its a bit of an experiment. If things change or brake I'll keep this updated. I'd be interested to get an IR Thermometer that can handle brake temps and then tape up one duct to see the temperature difference.

Interesting, I will be doing something very similar, I might go for a smaller diameter of ducting and mount if up close to the strut, so it has a direct feed to the discs. Only problem would be it fouling on the wheel/tyre on full lock.

182cup & 172 racecar
Interesting, I will be doing something very similar, I might go for a smaller diameter of ducting and mount if up close to the strut, so it has a direct feed to the discs. Only problem would be it fouling on the wheel/tyre on full lock.

That's you have to use the deflector plate method.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'll be honest, i like the look of this, but (& this is a genuine question), what is the actual point of having ducting to the brakes - i simply removed the fog lights/arch liners and let the air find its own way there ...

Ph2 Clio 172
I'll be honest, i like the look of this, but (& this is a genuine question), what is the actual point of having ducting to the brakes - i simply removed the fog lights/arch liners and let the air find its own way there ...

A few reasons really. I was going to just do this, but then I saw a few threads where people had filled the inside of the front wings with gunk after running with no liners. I also notice just how exposed the aux belt is without the arch liner in so was a bit worried about leaving that exposed.

I then toyed with the idea of just removing the carbon canister and acoustic valve and leaving the liners in with just a hole in them, but then saw a thread recently where a guy had ripped his liner out at speed after leaving a screw undone, and decided that was probubly a bad idea. I also saw a few threads of people having issues after removing the carbon canister.

So after all this I thought it would be an interesting project to see if you could get some ducting in, leaving the arch liners in and also everything else behind the bumpers too. And this is the result.

SG9 Forester STi
Good write up although to make up for lack of lolz you now have to make something interesting out of the watering can ;).

Twingo RS
I like it.

I'm gunna try and do the same with mine, although I might see if I can squeeze this little abortion in somewhere behind the covers to deflect the air:

sobab.jpg PPRRS227BLK.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That stuff is too big, you need extractor fan ducting as it's wider but thinner.

ducting kit medium.jpg

This sort of thing

When I did ghetto mods using this stuff I bought it from Screwfix

Also, IIRC with race cars that have room to run ducting, I'm pretty sure they run the ducting directly into the back of the disc centre

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah you definitely wont fit the square guttering in. That flatter thinner ducting would be possible though. However, the flexibility of the round ducting I used makes it so much easier. The one on the passenger side has a mild 'S' shape to it as well as a downwards angled slope to it. Doing that in 'hard' ducting would be a right pain.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I did similar to my cup, but in the end pulled them off and just left it with no arch liners. It's extra hassle if you need to remove the bumper etc. Also my brake pipes were touching the deflector plate. MOT issues. I do notice more mud etc though. Also my horns are getting wet causing them to loose their power...

Pros and cons in each method

Ph2 Clio 172
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of doing this who is more concerned about the aesthetics of their car than I am, you will be better off getting the 2 ply ducting where the wire is between 2 sheets of the black plastic. The exposed wire on the inside of mine is already going rusty Brown.

Golf GTD Mk7
How are you finding these on track mate? Make much difference on track? I'm toying with it myself, but was going to remove the canister also. How did you cut your arch liners?

Side note, if the CC is removed, does it flag a management light up? I was planning on removing the pipework, and putting a small 0.2micron inline filter on the breather pipe to allow for venting.

Ph2 Clio 172
Sorry Johnny, completely forgot about this thread :)

I never really had a benchmark to go from so don't know what they are performing like, but I can't imagine they make things any worse, lol.

The deflector plates are shoddy though, anyone got any ideas on what else I could use? Or should I just stick a wanted thread up for anyone who has a proper set?

Ph2 Clio 172
Brake hose fouling the deflector plate.

Fell foul of the MOT due to this (interestingly, this is the 2nd MOT since having them fitted :S) so the plastic deflectors have gone.

Honestly no idea how well they work. My driving style trashes brakes more than any ducting will help prevent (I've calmed down recently). I'm sure it helps with cooling down laps though.