ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thermostat, CTS or both??

FF 182
Been doing some reading regarding the above. Ive noticed lately that my temp gauge will only hit half way when it sits running idle. If im driving anywhere it will only sit around 3 bars at the most, dipping just under sometimes, and it never spikes up or down. Just after some clarification on if its one or both CTS or thermostat.

Cheers.

Thermostat. But if either haven't been changed i would do both personally. Also flush the system and get some nice fresh type-d coolant in.

FF 182
Picking up a thermostat on saturday from the stealers, will see if that fettles it. Would there be any other symptoms from a shafted thermostat?

PH2 Flamer
Poor mpg, if its stuck open. As engine isn't up to temp. Temp gauge will go up and down.

Fan coming on often , if its stuck closed. As the coolant isn't circulating. And temp gauge will rise, close to the max.

Once you've got the stat off, stick it in some boiling water, see if it opens.

FF 182
Well im getting pretty crap mpg, around 26mpg too and from work, around the doors etc. Im guessing sluggish performance is a symptom also, as my car definately doesnt feel as lively as i think it should?

clio 172 phase 2
Im thinking i have this problem. The only thing diffrent to me is . My cooling fan has never ever come on i could sit in traffic for hours the fan wont budge and the temp gauge stays bang in the middle but once im driving the pin drips two bars which i thought was normal as air is getting into rad

A shiny black one.
Im thinking i have this problem. The only thing diffrent to me is . My cooling fan has never ever come on i could sit in traffic for hours the fan wont budge and the temp gauge stays bang in the middle but once im driving the pin drips two bars which i thought was normal as air is getting into rad

The needle should maintain in the same position all the time once up to temp, the thermostat will open and close to maintain the optimum temp and only allow the radiator to cool the coolant when needed. That's how I understand it anyway.

FF 182
Another thing i noticed. Popped the bonnet open after i'd been out and the top hose of the radiator was fecking hot, couldnt touch it for more than a second or 2.

Mec 350 slk manual
Well im getting pretty crap mpg, around 26mpg too and from work, around the doors etc. Im guessing sluggish performance is a symptom also, as my car definately doesnt feel as lively as i think it should?
The car sounds like its running on the cold map can you smell fuel when driving ?

Mec 350 slk manual
I have noticed a whiff on start up.
Change the thermostat and the temp sensor switch and put coolant with genuine renault parts make sure you bleed the system and it should be fine , that's what I did when I had the prob , now the car feels all good again.

FF 182
Change the thermostat and the temp sensor switch and put coolant with genuine renault parts make sure you bleed the system and it should be fine , that's what I did when I had the prob , now the car feels all good again.

Alright, might aswell do both while im there. Thanks man. Btw, what do you mean by cold map?

FF 182
Ahh one more thing. I mentioned the coolant was changed about 4 weeks ago. So, would i really need to flush it all out, or just replace what i lose and bleed yeh?

FF 182
Just done the thermostat and took it for a spin, all seems good now. Guage gets to bang on half way and stops there, also dunno if its a placebo thing, but car feels alot smoother.

FF 182
Yeh mate, happy that its another little problem ticked off my to do list! Not many left now :)

Thanks for your help again.

RS RIP
Just done the thermostat and took it for a spin, all seems good now. Guage gets to bang on half way and stops there, also dunno if its a placebo thing, but car feels alot smoother.

No placebo effect ! Your car was running "cold" with the broken thermostat, the sensor passed this info to the engine management, it richens the mixture, sort of like an old fashioned "choke" , untill the temp is right . You'll definately notice it running better

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Will be the thermostat. Mine would warm up on idle fine but cool down a bit when driving. Found the seal on the middle of thermostat wasnt seated properly and causing it to bypass, replaced and all fine since