ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thermostat - how much?

monaco 172
Just say you want a thermostat and give them your reg number, that's all I did and they had it in stock. Double check the new seal is in the box as they sold me a new seal which wasn't needed as it was in the box

Ah cool. This may sound a silly question but where actually is it located on the car? Is it an easy job to fit myself? Cheers lads :)

My engine is getting up to temp, but when I boot it it's saying the temp is going down (overcooling?), and hence giving me a rev limiter of 6800ish.

monaco 172
10000 posts and you've never had your car in bits, come on son! Joking.

See the hose which comes out of the radiator at the top? A really short one which goes to the engine? Well you need to remove this pipe from the engine end. Then youl be faced with 3 10mm bolts in a triangle shape. also remove the thin pipe which goes to the header tank. When the 3 bolts are removed and the pipe the thermostat will come off, along with water.

When you get it off, just pull the old thermostat out of the housing an place in the bin. Get the new one, put the seal onto the big end (seal should be split all round so you can attach it. Place in the housing, screw on and reattach header pipe and rad pipe

Hey I've only just got the 172! :rasp:

Very useful, I'll come back to this when I'm fitting it. Many thanks :)

monaco 172
Let thi off then.

Ok mate no Worries, got any questions just gis a shout, I did mine and pretty much my whole cooling system the other day.

Lionel Richie
caution - i've tried 2 different ones from GSF and neither fit, make sure you're not just wanging it in and crushing it causing it to jam

Turns out there was no thermostat in there at all! PMSL no wonder it was playing up. Also, I snapped one of the bolts that holds the housing in place, so now it's stuck in there forever. s**t.

monaco 172
what the hell, why would somebody take out the stat completely. it running ok now then?

cant you just take the housing off and unscrew it with some pliars?

what the hell, why would somebody take out the stat completely. it running ok now then?

cant you just take the housing off and unscrew it with some pliars?
Running fine now! It's awkward because it's the most difficult bolt to get to, and it's screwed in, so I would have to spin the housing around and then use pliars. Not sure how far it's done in though, so could be stuck forever!

If the old one became faulty and wouldnt open it's a cheap fix for a cowboy garage.
Yep, seems the last owner treated it like s**t tbh.

172DD Cup
i got a thermostat from eurocarparts for £5.30 delivered using promotion code BOX20 for 20% off, but not sure if promotion is still running. as fred says it fits on the lip of the thermostat itself, so the stat has to come out before you can take off the o ring

Dodgy one
I only say as I've got a box full of o rings :)

Guessing the housings just a paper gasket then, might try a substitute and use a bit of liquid gasket, dealer can't seem to get one in for a bit

koi

Audi S1
Need to change the thermostat on my 182, do I need to change the coolant at the same time or can I just top up with water?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It pratically all comes out when you put a new thermostat in, and it's not like it costs a lot, just drain the system, replace the stat then fil up with new coolant.

03 clio sport asc
so a new thermostat will come with a o ring for the thermostat and a gasket for the housing, meaning ideally no gasket goo is needed? as mine is weeping slightly

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Never re-use a stat gasket... especially not one thats been in the car since Christ was a lad! Always replace with a new one and if fitting a new stat ALAWAYS test it opens and closes before fitting it.

monaco 172
Can i just add to this old thread that seems to have cropped up again.

i used a gsf one which appeared to fit fine, however last week i went to renault and got a real one along with 5 litres of type d and now the car warms up so much faster than it did with the gsf thermostat.

so just a head up to anybody reading this thread thinking of getting a cheapo one.

koi

Audi S1
Thanks all sorted now. Easy job to to too, only hard bit was trying to get the stupid clip off the hose at the bottom of the radiator!

TIme to chill out and watch Madagascar.