ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thin tyre tread

Renaultsport 172
My two front tyres and rear left are at 3mm, my rear left (n/s/r) is at 1mm.

Could this be due to a dodgy n/s/r shock absorber (thats been diagnosed and fixed)?

Also, ive heard different people say different things about getting a second hand replacement tyre. Is this possible? The guy at Kwik Fit scoffed at the suggestion and said it wasnt possible.

Just dont want to get a single new tyre which would unbalance the tread distribution. Tho im not sure why I dont want that, maybe just being anal.

Brad

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Of course you can get second hand tyres . They call them "part worns " . Go to a local backstreet tyre fitter , they'll have loads .

1mm thread is illegal by the way 3 points and upto £2500 fine :eek: . I'd get it sorted asap not just for the points and fine but for your own safety .

Renaultsport 172
Part worns eh.. ill check it out. Anyone know any reputable backstreet tyre fitters in edinburgh??

Yes aware of legality factor... not aware of fine quantity tho :eek: dont drive it every day tho & not planning on anyway till I get it sorted, but thanks for the warning!

Part worns eh.. ill check it out. Anyone know any reputable backstreet tyre fitters in edinburgh??

Yes aware of legality factor... not aware of fine quantity tho :eek: dont drive it every day tho & not planning on anyway till I get it sorted, but thanks for the warning!

You would get a fine of £60 and 3 points if your just pulled over if they were cnuts

But if you crashed and hurt someone then you would be quite buggered then

Or if you get a nice policeman (you do get a few) they would say change it over tommorow etc...

ValverInBits
I got stopped in my 205 and ordered to change 3 tires and 1 blown exhaust within 2 weeks. If not then I would automatically get 3 points for each fault.

3 tires = 9 points
exhaust = 3 points
=12 points
and in this case, points don't mean prizes.
In these situations, you end up stumping cash for tires pretty quick

Renaultsport 172
Right, the few guys I found that did sell part worns don't have them in my size. So unless anyone has a part worn 205/40/17 for sale, ill probably just get a new one from tyretraders or blackcircle or somewhere similar.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
To be fair 3mm is pretty low, just get em all changed.