ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think i have a gremlin. An electrical one

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Have a starting issue on 2004 clio 1.6. Doesn't start after short trips. I can for example drive 20 miles. Turn engine off and it will crank straight away if I try. But if I drove to tesco which is less than a mile come out try and start and it won't, I have too bump start it. Then I get home turn engine off try and there's nothing. But come the next day it will start. Any ideas what this could be as I've no clue. Thanks

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Have a starting issue on 2004 clio 1.6. Doesn't start after short trips. I can for example drive 20 miles. Turn engine off and it will crank straight away if I try. But if I drove to tesco which is less than a mile come out try and start and it won't, I have too bump start it. Then I get home turn engine off try and there's nothing. But come the next day it will start. Any ideas what this could be as I've no clue. Thanks
Is it turning over or dead on key when it wont start?

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
As far as I remember it's flashing at normal rate. Will test out later today as I'm at work now

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Sorry didn't get back to this as people were trying too help me out. Went too go out yesterday and there was nothing again. So had a tinker under bonnet and for some reason gave throttle by a light tap with hammer then it started. So the question now is it electrical or a mechanical fault, either way I'll probably start with a new throttle body

Attachments

• 20220624_130533800.mp4
    12 MB
  • 20220624_150109236.jpg
    20220624_150109236.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Can anyone shed anymore light on this? There is a short video I attached too show what happens on a non start

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
@DaveDreads Still intermittently got this problem and obviously always at the worst time when I'm not on a hill to bump start which isn't fun in this heat. How do I deal with immobiliser problem too see if it is that?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I can tell you what my random cutting out issue was that I thought was electrical, i'm down on compression on one cylinder and it's getting blow by, as in the piston ring isn't doing it's job properly and exhaust gasses are coating the HT lead in carbon causing the spark plug to arc and kill the engine, but I have a 172 and know sod all about 1.6's.

It is odd that yours will bump start but not fire after it dies, does it go into limp mode after you've got it started again?