ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think my paint is broken

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
looked good when i washed and polished it.
unfortunatly. the wings look kinda hazy and the swurls are awful on it. how do i get this out without a PC jobbie.

PC170118.gif

PC170116.gif

PC170115.gif

at least the roof looks ok still

PC170119.gif

yes mate, wash car rinse and dry, make sure chamois clean, any polishing cloths should be washed in washing machine but no no no fabric conditioner or it will be smeary. 1st stage is paint cleaner, 2nd stage paint polish 3rd stage wax, trust me i have my own valet company!

Near portsmouth hampshire any queries pm me fellas, full valet includes paint, engine bay, interior, all glass, boot plus any requests (reasonable) Everything is done by hand with only the best kit. Discount for fellow members = yes.

106 GTi
The second pic shows that there is some swirl marks there.

The Megs stage 1 paint cleanr is chemical based so wont touch those. Megs Scratch X and a terry towel to give it some more bite, lots of elbow grease and they may be reduced.

just get megs NXT GEN TECH wax does the job on mine, and its black aswell. uses a Megs ultimate wipe they cost £10 but dont put more swirls on.

106 GTi
It will cover them up as long as the NXT lasts, as long as you keep applying the sealant they will stay hidden. It does work well at hiding defects which is something Megs uses as a selling point for the product.

what good to get rid of them then R-jay, dont use autoglym super resin as it cuts, any 1 bottle suggestions ?

106 GTi
Without a product with some cut you wont get rid of them.

By hand Megs Scratch X and a terry towel to give it some more bite, lots of elbow grease and they may be reduced.

Autoglym Super Resin does have some cut, but not much it is very mild, you could use it weekly if you wanted to without and noticeable reduction in clearcoat.

Clio 197
^^

(I ended-up with a kawasaki-green polishing cloth because I used to rub too hard; so if using something like SRP don't press too hard!!)

(that was 12months of weekly polishes tho...)

Ultimatly it needs a dman good machine polish to safely remove a few microns of clearcoat and eliminate the very fine scratches. As r-Jay says the megs 3 stage will reduce them but only hide them and is ultimatly not to be recommeded as it will wash out in time!

Heres one I did today, not perfect but a damn site better than what it started out as!!!

Claybarmishap001.jpg

Claybarmishap011.jpg

Davehughes said:
what good to get rid of them then R-jay, dont use autoglym super resin as it cuts, any 1 bottle suggestions ?
Ultimatly its cut you need to remove them permantly

As for one bottle suggestions, not really separate stages are needed for maximum effect

3 stage meguiars WILL remove swirls, topped with a final coat of Super resin applied with a DAMP lint free microfibre cloth washed only with washing powder and NO fabric conditioner will bring out any swirls. I valet Porsche Ferrari TVR etc and they have to be right - imagine a black swirled Porsche owner collecting his GT3 with swirls on it!!!! My customers are very picky!!!!

If your going to start using polishes and waxes, start with a clear canvas. Rinse the car thoroughly then shampoo it. Get rid of any tar etc on the paint,. Then use some thing like Meguiars (sp?) Quick Clay to remove anything left on the paint surface. Shampoo the car again, then start using the polishes etc.

For swirls, you can either fill them in as a temporary solution or use a decent cut and lots of elbow grease!

Here's the Merc after shampooing, claying, shampooing, then waxing:

http://www.irfan.co.uk/Misc/Door.JPG

http://www.irfan.co.uk/Misc/Side.JPG

106 GTi
172 Dave said:
3 stage meguiars WILL remove swirls, topped with a final coat of Super resin applied with a DAMP lint free microfibre cloth washed only with washing powder and NO fabric conditioner will bring out any swirls. I valet Porsche Ferrari TVR etc and they have to be right - imagine a black swirled Porsche owner collecting his GT3 with swirls on it!!!! My customers are very picky!!!!

None of the megs 3 stage products are abbrassive, they will only fill swirls not remove.

Megs Stage 1 - is a Chemical cleaner & non abbrassive, the type of pad may give it some cut.
Megs Stage 2 - is a pure polish/glaze designed to fill defects give gloss.
Megs Stage 3 - is a carnuba wax, no cut seals in the finish and protects.

AG Super Resin after the 3 stage Meguiars is waste of time as it does have a mild cut. This means the SRP will remove the Carnuba wax in stage 3 making that a wasted step. The cut that AG SRP has is very light. A couple of applications in an area will see it clean up light defects, ie removing very light swirls. It would take a lot of elbow grease and applications to sort out the paint in the origional threads pics.

You should do stage 1 paint cleaner, AG SRP, then Stage 3 Carnuba

You could add in Stage 2 polish before or after the AG SRP if you wanted but it is probably a extra step you dont need.

Dave 172 after the application of the above products wipe the panel down with a 50/50 mix of Alcohol and Water, take a pic with the flash on camera and see what swirls remain and how much was just covered and filled.

After years too of detailing cars, nothing short of a machine polisher and a decent polish will be needed to remove anything more the minor surface marring. On todays clear coats anyway - old single stage paint is a different matter.

Clio Trophy
:D Hello mate, Those swirls in your paint are from car wash brissols!! I valet renaults for a living,and wish i could destroy all car washes, they are for 4x4 drivers who don't care about their car's! i see these swirls all the time, the only real way to get rid of them is to get your car mopped by an expert with a very light cut/paint restorer,then 3/4 coates of high density wax, putting the wax on in circular motions, then before wax dries go over with straight lines, (my tip is two lines of swirls then straight lines, so swirls dont' dry on!!) protect the paint with a super guard.

We have a 225 meg trophy at our place in Black gold top spec, nice drive!!but...paint is *****D, been through the car wash too many times..paint is worse than yours!..

just my idea.

Spaced. :cool:

A4 Avant & A3
Hell.. sounds a bit involved for polishing a car...
I havn't polished mine since i've had it, i bought some polish the other day, after reading this i am scared to lol.
I bought some turtlewax something or other polish, read somewhere that it was good stuff... knowing my luck it'll make it look worse rather than better.

What sort of cloth do you use to put the polish on with?
in the past just used any old thing, but that was on an old tatty car, don't want to damage the paint work on my car! it's got no swirls or anything on the paint at the moment.

^^Go to Halfords and buy a pack of megiars foam polish applicaters, only afw quid. They also do a ax removal wipe which is excellent but somehwat expensive at £10, you can get much cheaper ones but if your doing it today you won't have time to order via net. If your feeling flush ditch the turtle wax and buy a botle of meguiars cleaner wax.

A4 Avant & A3
Damn.. i only just bought it...
I'm gonna have to use it now.. so it had better look nice & shiny afterwards! lol

saying that it always looks pretty good after a wash anyway

106 GTi
Spaced said:
:D Hello mate, Those swirls in your paint are from car wash brissols!! I valet renaults for a living,and wish i could destroy all car washes, they are for 4x4 drivers who don't care about their car's!

Swirls can be created by hand washing as well, sponges and a bad wash technique can also cause damage. But Car washes are the worst.

Ditch that sponge and get a decent wash mitt.

Clio Trophy
:approve: Valid point there mate..i always wash my cup using straight movements,no swirling, as like you said can cause damage to the paint, always rinse out mit/sponge.and bucket!!!!!!!!!.....glad people on here look after their car's..some of the car's i've valetted have cost bucks, and have been looked after like it was an old taxi...keep it up chaps/ladies!!...(p.s. to enhance the shine, spend some money on a real good chamois leather!!..anything from £15 uupwards!!..u will see the difference, not like these 'flunkies' load of rubbish...) Bring on the summer!!! :D

106 GTi
Nah ditch the chamois and relegate it to door shuts, wheels and engine bay duties. Microfiber drying towel for me.