ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of buying an Impreza

Im thinking of getting shot of the clio and getting a UK Impreza turbo. Itll heve the Prodrive performance pack so should be 240ish bhp. Will I miss the clio?

Titanium 182

probably dont imagine a 240 bhp impreeze will be all that

iv been out in a newer one and was told it was around the 280 mark and cant say i was impressed

it wasnt slow but it wasnt what i expected

I did the opposite, you will notice a better feel in handling terms and a flatter torque curve which is good for overtaking w/o changing gear.

Hope you live near a petrol station mate ! LOL !

I wouldnt do it. I know people who have and they have been shocked by the running costs. There are too many Scoobys around already IMHO !

On the other hand if you do sell then you can sell me your wheels and zorst ! LOL !

:D

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

im gonna get me valver soon run it around for a year or two while i save up for a scoob dunno if id sell the valver yet may use it as a runabout and use the scoob for trackdays and weekends etc cos i expect the valver to be cheaper to run. need to get it tuned nicely been in a 400bhpish one and goes like stink and flies round the corners my mate on his gsxr1000 was shown right up by it on a twisty road

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Dont do it!!!!!!!I sold my wrx around christmas time and got a williams.WRX was nourght but a pain:Clutch is not up to the job,couple of full power starts(which u will try!)and clutch starts to slip mine cost 900 to change,then lasted about 10k before it happened again.Not as fast as youd imagine either,mine was WRXv1 import which had 240bhp,admitadly was quick off the mark but probably no quicker on the move than a cup(honest)Main prob is the economy,it really is that bad,worse than youd imagine-worst run ever got 119miles on a full tank chasing m8s gtir up the m5.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

If you have to commute a fair distance to your work, dont do it, unless you have a bottomless wallet.

Subaru Forrester

Hi Gwynny, Ive just got a Australia 2001 WRX after having a mk1 172 in the UK for 2 years then moving here. I think the Oz WRX is basically the same as the UK Turbo...

To be perfectly honest, the Scoob has not put the grin on my face in the same way that the Clio did when I first bought it in 2001. Then I was changing from a 1991 16v.

Yes, the Scoob is a little faster and I can cram loads more stuff in to it as I bought the wagon version, but if you are doing loads of miles and dont need the extra space then Id say stick with the Clio. Especially with your fuel prices going the way they are now.

If you can afford the running costs then go for it, you wont regret it!

The biggest difference you will notice between a hot hatch and a car like the Impreza is that you dont need to rag the ass off the impreza to do anything, where as with a hot hatch you will.

The PPP will give you better feel, my old car was at 249bhp, enough for most people, on the road you have more flexability than alot of cars out there, above 100 and your leaving pretty much everything behind.

Service costs are quite high though, 6 month intervals/7.5k miles whichever is first, reliability is very good, dont buy a neglected car though, it will cost you an arm and a leg to get it sorted.

I had my MY00 PPPd turbo for 3.5 years, great car! but alas, now sold.....

And replaced with another impreza but a little more hard core ;-)

Tony

Quote: Originally posted by Gwynny on 30 May 2004

Im thinking of getting shot of the clio and getting a UK Impreza turbo. Itll heve the Prodrive performance pack so should be 240ish bhp. Will I miss the clio?
YES..... Unless your purchase an EVO ;)

I would love to hear from other people who have gone from Cup (or 172/182) to UK Turbo (Classic not bug-eye) or visa versa, because I am currently having this battle with myself -

1. Love the Cup, quick, handles nice (if just a bit too nervous at speed) and brakes well. MPG is fantastic.

2. Impreza, fantastic sound, real punch from the turbo without having to rev it to the redline each time (i.e. you can overtake without feeling like youre auditioning for next years Touring car championship which the Cup sometimes feels like!), solid feel over rough ground, and its the last chance to own one of the real classic Imprezas before they get too old.

Help! I could get hold of a low mileage last of the line UK 2000 Turbos but do I really want to!? - nothing else tempts me away from the Cup!?

Cup is more exclusive and once roilling no faster/slower until you reach license losing speeds. I would bet that cup is a fair bit quicker round a track than the classic but could be wrong

Above assumption is based on the fact that a cup is 2 secs faster around bedford than a 03 WRX which is more or less equal in speed to the classic!

leon cupra R

:Dthere s some pretty cheap imprezas about these days, i like the look of them but if i had a 172 it might be had for myself to get rid of it, id say stick with the clio

".......Above assumption is based on the fact that a cup is 2 secs faster around bedford than a 03 WRX which is more or less equal in speed to the classic!....."

Blimey - 2 seconds, that seems incredible - was the guy in the Impreza even trying? The Turbo Classics are supposed to be more raw than the WRXs (much lighter with same power) and the W/X Plate ones were fitted with STI 4-pots and STI comparible springs/dampers which should make them more of a trackday toy - but 2 seconds!?

Is the Cup really more exclusive than a W / X plate Turbo? How many were made - I originally though is was 1000 when I was buying the car but it sounds as though they were just run at the same rate as the regular 172.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is depreciation - would a Cup hold its value better than a W/X plate Impreza - the Cup is a newer car, but because the Impreza is a last of the line job could it hold better? Does anybody know of a reliable on-line depreciation calculator and car valuation system?

Thanks for the replies on this...