ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of high comp and forged rods

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Just bought a clio (picking it up on tuesday, fingers crossed)

Its a well known passed around car (stoddies)

Current engine spec.

Jenvey 48mm ITBs with matched inlets
Catcams 2428 camshafts
Lightened and balanced bottom end.
Mild headwork
Omex 600 ECU
Lightened Flywheel
182 Manifold with magnex twin
Sports cat

For piece of mind, im going to rebuild the BE (sending the head off for more work too)

But while im there, was thinking of fitting forged rods, arp bolts and replacing the OEM pistons with 12:6:1 forged items. Ive costed it at £1000 inc new shells etc.

Question - is it worth it? I know it will be more reliable at high RPM

1. Will i see a noticeable power increase
2. Is the max rpm determained by the poor valvetrain? i.e i cant rev it any higher anyway?
3. Will woosner work with 2428s?

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
EXCELLENT work Captain!!! :D

Although, fook rebuilding it - it will die eventually, so just rebuild it then!

New oil, strip & clean brakes, R888s. Done.

Then... Drive it! Hard. On track. Mint! :race:

340i
Back in the fold ;)

Fook spending more cash on it now... Just hammer it until something breaks then rebuild!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Why bother...Barely done any work since GDI built it (Phil)

Radip car. 0-140+ nothing in it between me and Phil! FLAMES were incredible!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Why bother...Barely done any work since GDI built it (Phil)

Radip car. 0-140+ nothing in it between me and Phil! FLAMES were incredible!

Just want to make sure its right and get a bit more power!

Clio Sport 172 ITB
Plans sound good man but as everyone Is saying, wait a while and then to it! I'm not going high comp on 428's as it really ain't worth it IMO. Wait till you have had some fun in it then go 422's high comp and new valve springs :)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Need a car for the ring' this year, dont really want to do a clio again

to be fair you didn't commit 100%, so i'll let you off ;)

best of luck with it pal, i owe you a few favours (understatement!) so give me a shout if you need anything

Lionel Richie
stock engine, 310bhp+, AWT special, that'll do!

forged pistons? pah!

(although be careful on that bottom end ben, its been invaded more times than an Amsterdam special apparently!)

C

crofty66

Just a quick one. I amsaving up for a sc set up at the momant as i am in afghan. I have most of the info on figures etc i.e bhp and all that. Just wondering how it drives. Any help?

340i
All jokes aside...

Good too see you back Ben! And hopefully on a few track sessions this year??!?!! :)

I know Baggers has missed your sweet face x x

alien green rs133
im not 100% sure on forged rods, as we tried some, but the ones we bought also fit the williams, thus are almost .5 of a mm shorter, lower compression....

that and we found that they didnt wanna lube the big ends properly, leading to rainbow heat effect on big ends, FUBAR'd!!

i would ballance crank run oem rods and 13:1 high comp pistons, but a cylinder head off a 138 engine (the two litre found in the mk3 clio and scenic etc, non sport engine) as it can be gas flowed better than the 172 head, its already ported at factory and its a hard job to get propper gains

arp bolts are a must :D

hutchie

340i
you not doing croft again? could have a night out like last time ;)

or have you erased that weekend from your mind? lmfao:evil:

hahahaa... I could post some photos to remind us all of the alcohol fuelled evening! rough next morning was an understatement :dead:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL, yea baggers can kiss goodbye to his garden!

What rods were they hutchie? I've already got the head sorted (benR)

Might just arp the big ends and fit high comp pistons then! I want to rev it to 8500 rpm

2005 Nissan Navara
LOL, yea baggers can kiss goodbye to his garden!

What rods were they hutchie? I've already got the head sorted (benR)

Might just arp the big ends and fit high comp pistons then! I want to rev it to 8500 rpm

What cams does it have? No point revving there if its making peak power a bit below 8500rpm.

If it does rev there, Catcams H section rods are a good buy. Very well machined, no descrepencies between items (as see with other cheaper rods).
They are £599+vat.

As for the original qustion on gains from high comp pistons, the theoretical gain in HP is 2% per 1CR increase. Ive found this pretty much bang on true on actual engine dyno work. So you'be be looking at an approx 5% gain with Wossner off-the-shelf high comp pistons.