ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling my Meg Trophy and getting a 182

Megane 225 Trophy
I had a 182 for 8 months back in 2011 but I bought it 2 weeks before I left my ex wife and had a pretty crappy few months following that and actually cannot remember too much about the car! It was a 182 Cup.
I have now had my Megane 225 Trophy for a year and I do like it but I want a newer one to map etc and need to save some cash. I was thinking of getting a cheap diesel but then thuoght about anorther Clio as I have often considered it and 182's are pretty cheap these days.
I'm paying £25 a month tax what is it on a 182.
I also get about 23mpg on the meg and fill up once a week so just wondered what to expect on the 182 as I cannot recall whether they were thirsty or not.
Last question what should I look out for on a second hand one ie belts, pulleys clutch etc?

Thanks

Simon

172 Cup
I've got a 172 Cup, tax is about £265 a year. Considerably more than my insurance!

Better on fuel than the Megane. I average about 34 mpg but can get over 40 mpg on the motorway.

A lot of the cheap ones need belts / dephaser / water pump. I personally prefer to buy one needing it done (price corrected of course) then get it done yourself by a good garage for full peace of mind and 5 years till it needs done again.

Once you have it you can consider freshening up the suspension with new shocks, wishbones, bushes etc. Decent tyres and geometry will also help it handle well.

Megane 225 Trophy
Tax is a pain in the ass. I had a company car till Dec14 and although its only £25 a month I could still do without it :) I need another drive of a 182 to see what I am missing. I remember them being really chuckable and fancy a bit of that again even though I love the Meg

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 182 for 8 months back in 2011 but I bought it 2 weeks before I left my ex wife and had a pretty crappy few months following that and actually cannot remember too much about the car! It was a 182 Cup.
I have now had my Megane 225 Trophy for a year and I do like it but I want a newer one to map etc and need to save some cash. I was thinking of getting a cheap diesel but then thuoght about anorther Clio as I have often considered it and 182's are pretty cheap these days.
I'm paying £25 a month tax what is it on a 182.
I also get about 23mpg on the meg and fill up once a week so just wondered what to expect on the 182 as I cannot recall whether they were thirsty or not.
Last question what should I look out for on a second hand one ie belts, pulleys clutch etc?

Thanks

Simon

There's not much difference in Tax. I pay £23.18 a month for the Trophy!

Clio 200 Raider
Get both lol. Ive been in this boat a few times and decided to buy another 182 and keep the meg. I regretting selling my old 182 there just to much fun for little money.
Now my meg is mapped it helps when i step in just to have some torque as clio is a bit gutless in that respect but then thats not what there about, love having n/a and turbo.
Clio feels always switched on all the time and meg is just feels more refined or you can feel like you can drive normally if that makes sense when you cant be arsed.
Tax is a joke though i cant drive 2 cars at same time they should tax you for mileage i would love that as hardly do any and these apparantly low emissions diesels(black smoke everywhere when trying to put foot down) must go up and down motorway all day long
Tax is about the same on both, meg slightly more expensive.
I think meg vs 182 totally standard the clio is more fun but the meg feels more mature sort of lol.

Clio 200 Raider
Just checked my bank
I pay 12 month dd as i find it easier and its

£24.93 for the meg
£23.18 for the 182

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Hello fellow megane forum friend.

Im in the same boat as you as you know. Bought a 182 (my sixth clio) and have the megane up for sale.

Megane 225 Trophy
Cheers Canky, the tax is neither here nor there then. Just wondering about the petrol? I do 250 miles a week round town and costs a full tank about £53 what do you get in clio?
I cannot afford to have both unfortunately wife and kids etc :)
I don't recall going for as many pointless drives in my Clio as I did with my meg in the dry weather but that may have been cos when I owned it I was just obsessed with chasing women and being newly single than driving my car!!

Megane 225 Trophy
Hello fellow megane forum friend.

Im in the same boat as you as you know. Bought a 182 (my sixth clio) and have the megane up for sale.
ha ha alright Dan, it was you who got me thinking to be honest. Going to see if Carl has a spare one for me to have a drive with next week and make my mind up what I'm going to do from there. I want to map and do loads to meg but I just can't afford it at this moment so will shelve that plan until I can afford to buy a newer lower mileage one.

Clio 200 Raider
I really dont do that many miles recently in either car so its hard to comment on full tanks for me right now. General feeling of both is clio seems to last a bit longer all though dont think either are bad on long runs

Doing short spirited journeys i see at the minute 23.5mpg on my mapped meg, was 21mpg before mapped and around 27mpg on the clio right now

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You want a newer Megane to map? what does that mean?
Going back to a mk2 as a daily would do my head in now!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mines on eBay and seems to have attracted a fair views and bids. Will I be sorry to see it go, tbh yes. I go though stages and this is with any car of wanting to get rid. I will miss this car. But if it doesn't meet the reserve or I get fooked about with I may look to sell the rb instead

Megane 225 Trophy
meaning I want a newer meg F1 or 250 but I just cant afford it right now with things I have to pay for this year around the house

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
If you're going to a mk3 fair enough - going from a mk2 meg to a mk2 meg is just stupid though!

It never works out imo when people change cars to save money - just keep what you have until you can afford something else.

172 Cup
Agree with that Daz. Cars always cost money (particularly performance cars) and often it's better the devil you know. You could well end up needing to spend money on the Clio you replace the Megane with.

Megane 225 Trophy
If you're going to a mk3 fair enough - going from a mk2 meg to a mk2 meg is just stupid though!

It never works out imo when people change cars to save money - just keep what you have until you can afford something else.

why would it be stupid? I have a 225 Trophy with 86k miles. I would want a 230 with LSD and less miles??