ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of starting to use 95 Ron

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'm thinking of not using 97/98 Ron fuel at the moment to save a bit of money (and so not give as much money to the government in tax!) and to instead use bog standard 95 Ron. Does anyone think this is will matter - to the engine or to peformance very much or at all? It's a 172 Ph1.

Cheers

Doesn't really make much difference. I find the higher stuff makes the engine run abit smoother but it won't do any damage.

Family Bus
I used super unleaded for the first few months then switched to standard and I havent noticed any difference really....have had different opinions from people about using it though!

I use super, as on the filler cap it recommends 98ron.

Anyway, it's only a few quid difference. If I put 45 litres in I pay about £49.90 with normal, £52.15 with super. £2.25 lol. Over a whole year it's only about £55 difference for me.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive found mine drinks more of the 95 stuff so it works out about equal - 95 is cheaper but lasts less

Monaco 37/468
Just run a bit of injector cleaner through it every so often, that's the only real difference the increase in octane makes I've found....

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I use it all the time, get less MPG with v-power!

Laura reckons it's less MPG with 95. So I suppose I just need to try it and see!

As you say not much of a saving, but I just cannot stand to give 'em any more money than I have to.

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well i filled up with v-power as i'm about to do a rolling road, and the car comp reckons i'm getting 3mpg less. Unless it takes a while to adjust to it?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well i do the exact same miles everyweek,

tesco 99 it lasts 1 week 4 days
tesco 95 it lasts 1 week 2 days

everysingle time i try it 95 always goes quicker BUT its less lumpy on idle

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I use it all the time, get less MPG with v-power!

Laura reckons it's less MPG with 95. So I suppose I just need to try it and see!

As you say not much of a saving, but I just cannot stand to give 'em any more money than I have to.

Thanks

I get better MPG with Sainsbury's normal stuff than I did with there super and cant tell any difference with the way it drives.

Family Bus
:S:S:S So whats the best one to use?? Half of me now wants to go put some super in and the other half thinks stick to el cheapo(er) !!!! :S

Well Renault recommend 98ron fuel. If you can't afford the extra £2 then get the 95ron. Won't make much difference I doubt. But must be a reason for them recommending 98.

182-racing-blue

What you hoping to save £2-3???:S

V-power all the way!!! Stay away from BP ultimate like the plague. Petrol is only going to go up and up so why save money if it compromises performance.

After a de-cat at K-tec I filled up with a full tank of V-power in Dorset and my god!!!! What a difference!! Never looked back and the nearest shell garage from me is 13 miles away!!!

Cant spend it when your dead. :D

After a de-cat at K-tec I filled up with a full tank of V-power in Dorset and my god!!!! What a difference!! Never looked back and the nearest shell garage from me is 13 miles away!!!

You do know we don't have proper petrol down here don't you! :D It's made from the locals dribble.

182-racing-blue

You do know we don't have proper petrol down here don't you! :D It's made from the locals dribble.

LMAO, thats why it goes like stink then!!!
Im off to fill mine up right now, as soon as ive picked it up from its main dealer service. I have to drive over there in a Honda Jazz!! Sorry for the swearing! It had fumes in it when I left the dealership but I'm refusing to put anything in it to get it back there.
Wish me luck!!

V-Poooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!

Its the future!!!

172 Cup
I would say stick to the cheap stuff, did anyone see the Fith gear where they tested fuel supliments and shell high octane ect? They found that it makes no difference and in some cases the expensive stuff reduces MPG and BHP! If you own a Ferrari maybe stick in the top stuff but other than that its £2 a tank better spent on a lotto ticket you never know right! lol

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
So far I've had 2 weeks worth of 95 ron and 1 week of 99 ron, and it I swear the 99 ron must have just f***ing evaporated... Seemed to get much less out of the tank. Made naff-all difference to power, just a little bit nicer tickover. I can see the point in running a higher octane on a turbo'd or map'd car, so's to avoid detonation and get the fuelling spot on. I know the F4R is quite a high output engine, but I really can't justify the extra. It'd be about £100 difference a year for me. That's an extra 2 and a bit tanks of fuel...

Scirocco GT 210
I've used 95 RON virtually non-stop in my 172 since I bought it 3.5 years ago and it runs perfectly fine, no problems.

Mondeo ST220
I find I get better MPG with V-Power than with the 95RON stuff so it sort of pays for itself. The car seems to run a bit nicer too.

Tesco 99 is awful though. I found the engine to run a lot rougher and return a lot less MPG. Both in my car and a friend's clio.

Polo Bluemotion
I accidently topped up with Shells new performance diesel fuel last week. Ive noticed f*ck all difference in performance. According to the computer, im going to get 50 miles less to my tank, and its the first time ive ever put over £50 of fuel in a clio!! :eek:

Cant comment on the petrol equilivant, but the diesel version gets the thumbs down from me :dapprove:

Lotus Elise 111R
I have never used super for more than a tank or two at a time. Keep trying it and notice no difference in either running, performance or MPG, so why bother.

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
I use super when I can get it. My nearest is esso and thats 97ron. Except they don't always have it because they are crap. The nearest shell is at least half an hour away.

172 Cup
I use Tesco 99ron, have done for a while now. A few months ago I had no choice but to use Shell regular unleaded and I noticed a deffinite performance drop, I'm not saying it was much but deffinitely noticeable.

Engine runs a lot smoother from a cold start and gear changed seem smoother somehow. Also it picks up speed slightly quicker (and it's not my imagination).

I have noticed a drop in MPG though since using 99ron. Used to be running ~34 on 95ron, now it's more like 31-32, and that figure is based on the past 6000 miles or so.

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
I accidently topped up with Shells new performance diesel fuel last week. Ive noticed f*ck all difference in performance. According to the computer, im going to get 50 miles less to my tank, and its the first time ive ever put over £50 of fuel in a clio!! :eek:

Cant comment on the petrol equilivant, but the diesel version gets the thumbs down from me :dapprove:

Read the first line and figured you stuck diesel in instead of petrol. Thought "double bad luck, wrong fuel AND it's the expensive stuff..." :eek: