ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking possible write off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 182
GetAttachment (2).jpg
GetAttachment (3).jpg
GetAttachment.jpg

So only had this petrol blue 182 for around 2 months absolutely mint inside and out with only 63k on the clock, possibly the lowest mileage petrol blue there is and some kid decides to reverse into it! As you can see from the pictures he did a proper job of it completely destroying the rear quarter!
At least he had the decency to leave a note I guess but still I'm slightly pissed!
I'd only had my m3 for 3 weeks last year when a women decided she wanted to reverse all down the side of it so it seems I just get all the luck I guess.

I just hope it ain't as I quite like this little motor now!!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be very surprised if they repair that.
Labour is huge to remove and replace the rear quarter.
Then the colour will be an absolute pig so will have to have the whole side painted. Bound to total more than 50% of the cars value.
I'm sure @gally will offer you some professional advice.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The thing is, that could be 'fixed' for under £500.
But that would involve a big hammer and s**t load of filler.
I wouldn't be happy with that on my car personally.

Clio 182
The thing is, that could be 'fixed' for under £500.
But that would involve a big hammer and s**t load of filler.
I wouldn't be happy with that on my car personally.

No way its either a new panel or a settlement and get it repaired somewhere else

Did you really lol?

So how much you saying? A few thousand?

I should have, but sadly no.

As for cost - I'd be willing to bet over 1500 quid. My mate had a frontend in his 182, didn't even replace anything just a respray on the front and that was way over than 1500, how I don't know! That was BG so not particularly special paint.

But in all honesty who knows, that's what I think but probably wrong :]

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I should have, but sadly no.

As for cost - I'd be willing to bet over 1500 quid. My mate had a frontend in his 182, didn't even replace anything just a respray on the front and that was way over than 1500, how I don't know! That was BG so not particularly special paint.

But in all honesty who knows, that's what I think but probably wrong :]

Yeah I'm thinking pushing to the 2k mark tbh not looking good but then theres always buy back possibilities can't see it being any more then a cat d if it came to that.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Did you kill the offender? You should have.

I actually think the offender needs a pat on the back as too many w*****s today just drive off, makes my piss boil.

I was in multi-storey the other week this woman pulls into a bay, straight down the side of another car.
She then backs out & was about to leave until I stood in front of her car & took a photo.
Told her you have two options;
1 f**k off & I will report her.
2 do the right thing & leave her insurance details.

Came back later to find note under wiper.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi chap, sorry to hear about the bump, it is indeed a shitty situation as it's not your fault. 2 small things first up, an insurance company will probably receive and estimate of around 1k inc vat so there is still a chance that they will repair the car, in the same breath some of the valuation systems, glass' guide for example don't know your car is a rare Petrol Blue 182, it's just an X miles 182, ie probably not worth an awful lot. I reckon they'll value it around 2250/2500 depending on system used.

Now you have a few things going for you, one, your car is rare so if you can find an advert online to show just how much your car is worth it will help a lot, either for settlement or if you want your car repaired. Second, you're the third party, from here on in everyone is looking to please you!

On Daniel's point regarding filler he has a very fair point, there is a line you can cross between wanting to avoid invasive surgery on your car via a new panel which is easily detectable to a buyer and having a quarter panel full of filler. Me personally because I know some of the best true panel beaters i'd repair that all day long with minimal filler, cutting a panel of a Clio isn't like some cars, the sealer down the rear tailgate edge is unreplicable, no bodyshop can replicate that factory finish, a lot of b/shops will actually join the 1/4 at the bottom of that sealer to avoid disturbing the seam sealer. Even the thick stonechip running along the sill isn't the easiest thing to replicate, disturbing all that cavity wax etc.

Just food for thought, most people never want filler on their car, fact is sometimes it can actually be better for the car.

Good luck and if you need any advice whatsoever don't hesitate to ask.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Evening chaps. I believe @gally is on the repairer side of the insurance trade. I used to work on the insurers side so know how to save a car if you want to.
Get your own estimate, get an estimate at their repairer. Remember their repairer will have cheaper labour rates probably. If you tell their repairer you want to save the car they will work with you. For every car an insurer total losses the repairer that does the estimate loses money.

A decent flatliner or miracle pull will see that repaired and not replaced. You really can repair some pretty incredible things now.

Where are you. I know some people who work in/run body shops.

Same from me, if you need any advice at all just drop me a line. I'll send you my number if it's easier to chat.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would agree with most of that. A miracle pull and flatliner axi is fine but it needs a proper panel beater to achieve minimal filler and a decent finish.

Clio 182
Thank you guys that's alot more info then I was expecting and very helpful.
@gally i wasn't expecting to hear that it's possible to get a good finish on the original panel if this is indeed possible I would rather go down that route, if you know of anyone I'm in essex that would be great, but what sort of money would I be expecting to pay out for a decent beater?@GrahamS I have spoken to their repairer and when they collected for the estimate the bloke said how clean the car was to which I said yes I want to save it really and told them to come to me before they make any contact with the insurance so we can work through the options first. Also if you do know anyone in my area that would be great
Cheers fellas

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm really not a fan of new rear wings/door skins etc. 90 times out of 100 the fit is either poor or it will rust in no time.

You raise a valid point @gally regarding panel beating.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It went full circle Dan. We had panel beaters then we had fitters through the 00s (me being one of them to a point) now we want panel beaters again as we want to repair everything as it benefits the Bodyshop the insurance and in a lot of cases the customer.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
On the door skin point. We made a decision a few years after I started estimating not to fit doorskins anymore, it ends up causing more issues for all parties! After the first few times of arguing with different work providers they eventually realise we're not interested in saving them money whilst giving the customer a poor job and possibly giving ourselves a bad name a year down the line.

PH2 172
Thank you guys that's alot more info then I was expecting and very helpful.
@gally i wasn't expecting to hear that it's possible to get a good finish on the original panel if this is indeed possible I would rather go down that route, if you know of anyone I'm in essex that would be great, but what sort of money would I be expecting to pay out for a decent beater?@GrahamS I have spoken to their repairer and when they collected for the estimate the bloke said how clean the car was to which I said yes I want to save it really and told them to come to me before they make any contact with the insurance so we can work through the options first. Also if you do know anyone in my area that would be great
Cheers fellas
Their Repairer????You took the wrong step years ago.

Clio 182
I could easily sort that for that price as a bodge yes.

And that would last how long exactly? As well as looking like the arse end of a donkey lol why would I want to bodge a mint low milage car when I can get it done propally at no expense?

RB Clio 182
And that would last how long exactly? As well as looking like the arse end of a donkey lol why would I want to bodge a mint low milage car when I can get it done propally at no expense?

So why the thread?

Don't you like different answers/ opinions?

Clio 182
Opinions that might help in some way yes but telling me that this can be repaired for £30 is just insane

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I bet you could get a good finish on that if i gave you a hammer and a dolly, a tub of filler, loads of wet and dry, colour and lacquer and a da polisher.
I bet I couldn't. And I have my own spray booth!

Status
Not open for further replies.