ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Third Party cover on other vehicles & trade policies

Fiesta STripes
Evening everyone.

Quick question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

My third party insurance cover that I have on both of my cars covers me third party on any other vehicle provided that the other vehicle has a fully comprehensive policy in force on it.

Now, does it still cover me on the vehicle if the third party's vehicle has a trade policy on it, so not a policy for that car only?

I am a little concerned about it as I am due to be going away this weekend, and this will be the insurance situation! When I checked on ASKMID.com, it showed the car we are taking as having a policy in force on it at the moment, but that is a trade policy...

Yes it is anal I know, I will admit that, but I don't want to get caught out lol!

Thanks in advance

Mike

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Pretty sure if you read it properly, it will say 'private insurance policy'... therefore I would assume not covered for Trade policies etc.

Could be wrong but I'm 99% sure mine does.

To be 100% sure you are clear, call your insurer ?

Fiesta STripes
Pretty sure if you read it properly, it will say 'private insurance policy'... therefore I would assume not covered for Trade policies etc.

Could be wrong but I'm 99% sure mine does.

To be 100% sure you are clear, call your insurer ?

Yeah I will call them, they were closed when I tried both of them tonight lol!

Thanks for the reply :)

Fiesta STripes
Tesco insurance is quite vague actually "there is a current and valid policy of insurance held for that motor car in accordance
with the Road Traffic Acts"....lets see what my other policy says about it...e-sure says the same.

I will call them tomorrow I think!

I'm pretty certain it doesn't, as a traders policy only really covers the vehicle to be worked on and driven during work hours iirc, not driven on social hours ( unless pre registered with the insurance company )

So id be quiet dubious mate ! not worth 6 points

Fiesta STripes
I'm pretty certain it doesn't, as a traders policy only really covers the vehicle to be worked on and driven during work hours iirc, not driven on social hours ( unless pre registered with the insurance company )

So id be quiet dubious mate ! not worth 6 points

I checked on askmid.com, and it shows up as being insured, so i guess it has been pre-registered!

Silver Phase 2 172
I am on a trade policy due to working in a garage and from experience it will not cover you.

We often get asked by customers if we do courtesy cars and if our insurance will cover them to drive the cars the garage owns and have contacted our insurance company (NIG insurance) and they have clarified where the is for trade use only it cannot be used for private cover only be me and the other mechanic as we are named on the policy for private use.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but I don't think the problem would lie with your company more the company that the trade policy is with! but the owner of the trade policy should ring there company to check up just in case it varies between company I can only comment on what our company says on the matter.

Hope this helps