ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This time last year

Corsa looking at 172
well this time last year I was on this forum asking folk about their 172's and other questions. Well what a year it has been, I went and bought an astra VXR instead (always been a vauxhall fan boy but considered renault) so now iam back to where I was this time last year.

Iam fed up with the astra, it is amazing dont get me wrong. It is proper quick, handels amazingly (anyone who says otherwise has never driven one and just listens to the drivel clarkson said about it) it looks awesome but there just something I miss (the 19mph pisses me off but thats my fault lol)

So iam back on the hunt for a 172 cup after christmas, has anyone ever done the same? or moved away from a cliosport and moved back?

thought yous would like a story lol

PH2 172, Kangoo
Got a few friends that had 1*2's gone away to various meganes, vxr's, vx220's, even porsches and come back to the clio

Black 200 Cup
I went 172 Cup>Impreza WRX>Evo8>M3Evo>200 Cup. I wish I'd kept the 172 Cup but the 200 is a definite keeper (for now lol)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
A boy I know went from a 172 cup, to an astra GSI, then back to a 182. He's sold the 182 now but I'm sure he'll get another :p

I'm sort of thinking of a newer RS next year, mine has 86K on it now and its getting a bit rattley. Would like a tighter 182 in LY or inferno next year if I can save enough :p

RB 182
Not really surprised he went back after an Astra GSI. I had mine for 6 months and didn't really get on with it.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone who says an Astra VXR handles amazingly has obviously never driven an RS properly before ;)

RB 182
Anyone who says an Astra VXR handles amazingly has obviously never driven an RS properly before ;)

To be fair i was quite impressed with the VXR i drove not in the same league as the clio but much better than i was expecting.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a brief drive, not driving overly quick so can't really say what they'd be like near the limit. I do feel I'd be alot more cautious in one than I would in the clio. Didn't inspire half as much confidence.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I went 172 Cup>Impreza WRX>Evo8>M3Evo>200 Cup. I wish I'd kept the 172 Cup but the 200 is a definite keeper (for now lol)

Similar I went 182 -> Impreza STI -> 182 lol (with a few more in between)

Mind you it was mainly the 12mpg that made me change back!

No car
This Time Last Year I Was Driving A Gold VTR! :eek: Now Im In A 172 Cup.....Dont See Any Other Hot Hatch That Ticks The Boxes (Unless Your Going Over £12k)

172 Cup
This Time Last Year I Was Driving A Gold VTR! :eek: Now Im In A 172 Cup.....Dont See Any Other Hot Hatch That Ticks The Boxes (Unless Your Going Over £12k)

My thoughts too dude, 1*2's are alot of performance for the money imo, dont cost the earth to run (which in our current climate is ideal), and look great when treated right.

Try one, if you dont like it for whatever reason you can go for something else and atleast you can say you tried one ;)

Corsa looking at 172
yeah i have never been in a RS before lol well except a 225 but it wasnt driven to hard. Iam looking at the 172 cup's there is something about them. I do love my comforts but would love one as got a "ring" trip next year lol Could always get a good 172 and put the turnis on it :O

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
This time last year I was about to blow £4k on my trophy, on top of the £8k I already had in it, Worst decision of my life, I hate/love that car

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Why would you ever sell one (not the new expensive ones). a 172 is worth what? £2000 maximum? You can easily spend £1k pi$$ing about with it and not add any value and just lose out when you sell it, then post on here about how you should never have let it go etc.

Best bet, NEVER GET RID OF THE CLIO.
SORN was created for clio owners - not the new flashy ones, the poo old ones like the one I've got.

172 cup
This time last year car wise I was pouring money into a very slow race car build and thinking I should probably get rid for something I could actually get a bit of use out of.Took me another 10 months or so to actually do it and ended up in the clio.

Cheers Ross.

BG 182 FF
This time last year I was pumping money into a civic jordan, got rid of it and ended up with a lovely 182 ff, wanted to stay in a jap car but running them costs u a small fortune, if u want a hot hatch go French. Would like to get in a jap car in the future, but for the moment I'm more than happy with the clio.

Corsa looking at 172
Astras do not handle well. I've been in one and can confirm that.

Was it a VXR? the guy/lassie couldnt drive then, on a dry road they are really good. Takes a while to get used to the steering though as it feels a little disconnected from the wheels if you know what I mean! I know a guy who owns a clio cup but I think its cammed as it has a weird idle, and his clio is really quick! never been out in it but gives my mates 250brake leon cupra a good run until 90ish (was up crail not public roads lol)

this time last year i destroyed a cambelt and sorn'd the car

now rebuilding it

a lot of owners sell up, then go to bigger better ? cars. Then realise the clio is actually quite good

then they sell and eventually come back to a clio

Black 200 Cup
Where I live, parking an Impreza or an Evo anywhere is like you've just landed a spaceship. A Clio is (can be) much more subtle.

Was it a VXR? the guy/lassie couldnt drive then, on a dry road they are really good. Takes a while to get used to the steering though as it feels a little disconnected from the wheels if you know what I mean! I know a guy who owns a clio cup but I think its cammed as it has a weird idle, and his clio is really quick! never been out in it but gives my mates 250brake leon cupra a good run until 90ish (was up crail not public roads lol)
Yes, and he can drive, Astras are just s**t. His Vectra VXR handles much better, and that's still s**t.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, and he can drive, Astras are just s**t. His Vectra VXR handles much better, and that's still s**t.

His astra must be broken, i have a few friends that have owned/own astra vxrs and also a good mate with a vectra vxr with some mods. Astra is a much better handling car than any vectra.

i hate them though so not defending them would rather my little rattley slow clio.

His astra must be broken, i have a few friends that have owned/own astra vxrs and also a good mate with a vectra vxr with some mods. Astra is a much better handling car than any vectra.

i hate them though so not defending them would rather my little rattley slow clio.
Love the excuses! It was just s**t and that's it lol. Nothing wrong with the car/driver, apart from it being pap. Yes, it took the corner at speed. Yes, I did feel like I was on the Titanic as it was going down.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
was no excuse i have no reason to make excuses. was speaking from my personal experiance, i would never own one myself however they are made out to be a lot worse than they are. yes the interior may be pap and yes they may not handle like a small french hatch but they will go round corners pretty well once you know the car, coupled with being damn fast in a straight line and get to silly speeds stupidly fast i think they get too much bad press.

With an exhaust on them (milltek or a remus) they do sound evil imo!

Disastra Coupe
Love the excuses! It was just s**t and that's it lol. Nothing wrong with the car/driver, apart from it being pap. Yes, it took the corner at speed. Yes, I did feel like I was on the Titanic as it was going down.

LOL! So people aren't aloud opinions? Maybe you're wrong? Being as that's about 3 or 4 people that's disagreed with you now.