ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on redex?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Just wanting to get the clio running as good as I can. Carried out an oil service and did the spark plugs recently. She's running great.

any other ideas on what I could do?

thought about redex and read up a lot on it. I've never used it before and it gets mixed reviews. Fifth gear used it in a corrado I believe and they achieved 6hp gained on the dyno.

anyone used it? Is there any point?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol at them all losing power in that vid!

I think alot of these sort of things are a rip off imo. Some good Vpower will do better.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I run her on the good stuff anyway, just seeing if anyone's had a good experience with the stuff.

renault clio 182
Used redex on all my cars certainly doesn't make it any faster but seems too make it run alot better IMO

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If its already running great i don't see the point.

I'd rather spend it something worth while such as suspension component refresh etc.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
If its already running great i don't see the point.

I'd rather spend it something worth while such as suspension component refresh etc.

Of course, because everyone wakes up int he morning and thinks.. Yes, I shall spend £4.47 to refresh my suspension today.

I've used Redex before, never noticed any difference tbh.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
On my Wifes old Lupo it failed it the MOT on Emissions, Barely any fuel in the car put the biggest bottle they sell in the tank and run it through again with that and it passed.
Other than that never bothered with it.

Range Rover Sport
I always try and use Redex on a new car I buy.

Not sure why its just something I've always done. Never noticed much if any difference though...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Some of these additives can genuinely help clean tiny deposits from the injector nozzles to allow them to get back to their original spray pattern.

Best one Ive ever used is the forte diesel treatment, its quite surprising how much difference than can make on a neglected old diesel lump, the petrol ones tend to be less dramatic though.

172/B8 Quattro
Yep these additives are more to clean the system out of crap, I always use when bought a new car along with a service, but only the once.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I still have a few bottles of STP injector cleaner from FCS last year seeing as it is free I may use it, but never used anything like that before in any car I have owned

E39M5 & 182 Trackday
I have always used Forte injector cleaner on various cars over the years.
Sometimes makes a difference other times not.
Never done any harm that I am aware of though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Some of these additives can genuinely help clean tiny deposits from the injector nozzles to allow them to get back to their original spray pattern.

Best one Ive ever used is the forte diesel treatment, its quite surprising how much difference than can make on a neglected old diesel lump, the petrol ones tend to be less dramatic though.

I had a sticky injector on my dci Clio and a bottle diesel magic cured it so it obviously does something good. The car's never ran so well!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Petrol dyed red. I have put loads in over the years and felt no difference in the car.

Have you put it in a car that was suffering from a dirty injector or similar?
As if not, its not going to think "hmm, no sticky injectors to fix, I will fix his gear linkage and refurb his wheels for him instead" its kind of limited in what it can do, so unless you are trying to fix the narrow range of problems its designed to, I wouldnt expect a result personally.

I had a sticky injector on my dci Clio and a bottle diesel magic cured it so it obviously does something good. The car's never ran so well!

Chip it is also to prevent problems apparently by helping keep the fuel system clean. So thats not fixing a problem ;)

Also it done a superb job on my wheels! Highly recommend. :rasp:

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I got told a story years ago that if you start putting additives into your car the car ends up relaying on them every few thousand miles.

The best thing i have done and i did notice a difference and that was to get the injectors sonically cleaned with new filters.

I had a lambda fault every second week and no matter what i done (redex, wynns,stp) it was there and since having the injectors cleaned and put in its never once showed and the car runs alot better.

Just ordered some of the forte diesel treatment thanks to Chip's recommendation. MPG had been quite low in comparison to what it was prior to a head rebuild, so I gathered it wouldn't do any harm to run something through the system.

Intrigued by getting injectors sonically cleaned though!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I used BG244 in wifes 118d and it improved MPG straightaway! It has some good reviews over on babybmw.net

Clio Sport 172.
As an additive to clean the system they work well. Certainly won't hurt the car and will be good as part of an ongoing maintenance programme.
I wouldn't bother with the octane boosters, just buy higher octane fuel if you don't already. Money well spent.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Ill report any findings I have from using it. Got a bottle from asda so will stick it in the next tank of fuel. I'm getting 39 mpg anyway so pretty pleased with how she's running anyway

Twingo Dynamique
Every service includes a bottle of fuel additive anyway. I believe it is injector cleaner stuff. i've never actually looked at the bottle to be honest when i put it in. so theres not really much need to buy extra....