ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on redex?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I got told a story years ago that if you start putting additives into your car the car ends up relaying on them every few thousand miles.

If you use additives to mask a problem, like for example starting your car on easy start then maybe, but in terms of a cleaner like redex or forte how the hell is your car going to end up "addicted" to those?

The best thing i have done and i did notice a difference and that was to get the injectors sonically cleaned with new filters.

I had a lambda fault every second week and no matter what i done (redex, wynns,stp) it was there and since having the injectors cleaned and put in its never once showed and the car runs alot better.

If they are really bad, a sonic clean or replacement is only option really, the bottles of potion can only go so far.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just ordered some of the forte diesel treatment thanks to Chip's recommendation. MPG had been quite low in comparison to what it was prior to a head rebuild, so I gathered it wouldn't do any harm to run something through the system.

Intrigued by getting injectors sonically cleaned though!

We normally notice a lot less smoke after using it on old snotty diesels.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ill report any findings I have from using it. Got a bottle from asda so will stick it in the next tank of fuel. I'm getting 39 mpg anyway so pretty pleased with how she's running anyway

If you arent suffering with any problems now, it seems unlikely you will notice a difference TBH

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What would happen if you put too much in? I haven't done this just to clarify, just wondering.

Depends on the specifics of the additive you put in, worse case you could end up with detonation and damage your engine, but I suspect you'd have to put many times the prescribed amount in though, but im only guessing as no experience of anyone being that stupid.

RB Clio 182
Would the regular redex for petrol injected cars lower the octane of the petrol in the car? Or is it high in octane itself?

Say if you slung a bottle in with a tank of v-power before a trackday would it effect performance?

I know they do the octane booster crap one, but im on about the regular one.

Im just wondering for future reference.