ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle bodies 172

Has anyone looked into throttle body system that Demon Tweeks have in their catalogue? They list complete system for 172..

talked about it before, its listed, but they wont do it.

Problems with the management and splicing into the std ECU.

it does, but you still need the ECU to run teh ABS, climate control, windscreen wipers, lgihts....baiscally anything leccy in the car is run by the ECU, which is why its a pain, and you end up driving around with a million hazard lights on.

Now, this will probably sound thick to you guys, but im not very good at the technical side of things.

What is a throttle body?

hi, welcome to the club of frustrated throttle-bodi-ers.

for a throttle body conversion you need several parts (manifold, bodies, etc) which a few companies claim to provide. The only kit Im aware of in the UK is Weber Alpha and they supply prima racing only. Prima claim to do a conversion for £2.9k but will simply not give me details on the conversion. when asked some simple stuff about changing the fly by wire throttle on the cup (or mk2) I got a prolonged doooh type answer. not very inspiring. The business for throttle bodies would be a good quality 172-specific manifold + jenvey individual throttle bodies. Manifold is not available and every time I talk to Jenvey Im told its any minute now (been like that for 4 months..). In addition to that you need a proper ECU. Forget superchip and the likes, even forget a Unichip although that can theoretically control 4 injectors. You need a proper ECU like Omex, or even better Motec, etc. and thats about a grand.

Sooo, £2k parts and ECU + labour + vat and youre lucky to spend less than £4k. Even if you are, nobodys actualy developing this stuff, and I am convinced the various companies were talking to will not develop the kit unless they see demand from at least half a dozen serious people.

So there it is: we get 6 people to put down a £1k deposit and agree to pay £3.5-4k. Takers? Otherwise, Roamer says hes got TBs being developed over the next few weeks, so keep an eye out for him

On what throttle bodies are blocko, BenR or another technically minded guy can give you all the details. In plain english, if you look at your cups engine from the front, the air filter connects via a black pipe to a single metallic part that has four arms and sits on top of the engine. Basically air goes through the filter, the black plastic hose, through a single opening which has a butterfly inside it. when you open the throttle, you open up the butterfly, which lets more air into the engine fed through each of the four arms - one per cylinder. That whole metallic piece is a single throttle body, and it does a fairly ok but restricted job at supplying the engine with air (i.e. power). With individual throttle bodies, you scrap that single throttle body and replace it with four individual assemblies, each supplying significantly more air. The injectors are also often replaced with higher capacity injectors to push more fuel in order to compensate for the increased air intake. More air, more fuel, more power.

Dunno where you shop but a more than competant ECU only costs about 500 quid, parts will set you back about 600 for the hardware, plus a bit more for niggles that you will come across, loom etc etc.

Manifold, available form chadil in belgium or technomap in france.....if i remember correctly which i doubt i have lol!

THe problem lies in the RENIX systems ECU, its just so damn annoyingly complicated the way they have linked everything to one bloody box. Getting the engine to run on teh new ECU and keeping the old one quite wihtout warning you of impending doom caue you dont have an engine is hard and WILL take alot of develelopment. Months.

THere is no webcon conversion available, cause there is no manifold.....simple. But you can get a manifold and use the webcon gear easy enough.

What we really need is the likes of EBD and SBD to realise that the F4R once you have the engine aloe is fantastic for power, jsut as good, if not better than the XE or K series they all play with. But there are other problems that i wont go into with that.

THrottle body, in simeple terms, its a variable resistor. It controls the amount of air that can enter the engine. mass produced cars run single bodies cause its simple, and only very high performance cars run individual bodies per cylinder. Its cost, not a reliability issue. All is is a a body with a throttle plate (butterfly) that rotates inside and creates a resistance to flow, controlling power outut.

When we talk of throttle bodies, we are usually referring to the 1 per cylinder arrangement. Its the modern equivalent of twin weber DCOEs, excelpt a shed load more accurate and efficient.

Nothing more than a metal tube, with a throttle plate and an injector, no needs for chokes or fancy fueling systems that run off pressure differentials.

There are other designs such as slide and roller throttles, each has their own benefit and pitfalls.

its the labour + development time thats a killer.

were all going to get stuck just below the 200hp mark, having done IK/zorst/unichip/head/cam

I guess thats not bad for the weight of the clio

why get stuck doing the head/cams etc......you can get stuck without doing that! lol

labour, its not hard to pull off a few bits and bobs then whack on some more parts, building the loom and mapping is the toughy, which you can leave to them. save some dosh.