ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle bodys ecu cams ect ect any info very greatfull thanks

ph2 sport
Hi all im new to the forum , im thinking of going down the road of throttle bodys and cams and maybe uprated valve springs head work , cams ect im not really up with all the engine bits and stuff im no expert , i know what the head is , i know where the crank is , clutch gear box ect but not sure how it all works lol .

A friend mentioned "direct to head " throttle bodys , dta management system , not sure what are the best cams to use , any input on all would be greatfully recieved

An other issue is the car is currantly on 92 thousand miles . Would u think about a engine rebuild ? big end bearings uprated con rods ??? the engine has been very well looked after oil changed twice a year , just changed the gear box oil , i have a budget of about 6 k what do u lads think ? im hopeing for 220 to 250 is hp is this a possability
thanks for the replies in advance , woodster

330i. E30 Touring.
Do a search mate.

Been covered a million times.

Oh, and if you pour £6k into a car worth £3k, it'll only be worth £4k.

Buy something quicker that'll retain it's value/

HBT 172 Cup
£6k will net you 220bhp. (in component form)

£2300 KTR DTH Throttle body kit + GEN90 ECU
£300 Mapping session
£750 for High Comp Pistons, Rods, and ARP's
£605 Catcam 422's
£130 Uprated Valve Springs
~£400 Supertec 1 piece valves (not neccesary but highly advisable IMO)
£60 Block hone
£40 Rings gapped
£80 Big and main ends
£20 Thrust washers
£50 Bottom end gasket kit
£50 headgasket kit
£250 for belt kits, fluids, oils, filters.

~£5000 then add another £500 for bits that will inevtiable break when you remove them and any other unforseen circumstance.

Think thats about it. Of course it all depends if you can do some jobs yourself, like removing the engine, dismantling it and building it backtogether this can cut a massive amount of labour time. Then you can go further again (albeit not entirely neccesary again), with tripple valve seats, full port work and all that jaz.

Many engine builders on this forum would be able to advise you further.

ph2 sport
worth 3k lol your having a laugh ,had it for sale for 2k last summer in auto trader and gum tree had one phone call , he said its over priced :argue: lol , Thanks budgie have thought about buying something different but like this too much , looked at a v6 not so long ago but they would be like buying a money pit , will have a look mate thanks

HBT 172 Cup
A rebuilt stock block with slightly softer cams and lower rev limit will still net you 210bhp but cost you a LOT less.

ph2 sport
£6k will net you 220bhp. (in component form)

£2300 KTR DTH Throttle body kit + GEN90 ECU
£300 Mapping session
£750 for High Comp Pistons, Rods, and ARP's
£605 Catcam 422's
£130 Uprated Valve Springs
~£400 Supertec 1 piece valves (not neccesary but highly advisable IMO)
£60 Block hone
£40 Rings gapped
£80 Big and main ends
£20 Thrust washers
£50 Bottom end gasket kit
£50 headgasket kit
£250 for belt kits, fluids, oils, filters.

~£5000 then add another £500 for bits that will inevtiable break when you remove them and any other unforseen circumstance.

Think thats about it. Of course it all depends if you can do some jobs yourself, like removing the engine, dismantling it and building it backtogether this can cut a massive amount of labour time. Then you can go further again (albeit not entirely neccesary again), with tripple valve seats, full port work and all that jaz.

Many engine builders on this forum would be able to advise you further.
thanks mate , i have a good friend who builta 550hp golf s2 who is gonna help me with labour ect , i asked him a bit , he said to ask on here as u lads will know more about the engines than he will thanks for the reply thats what i was looking for , what can the gear box standard take ?or is it just lets see and find the weekest link lol thanks again woodster

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Laine, just so you know mate, supertec dont actually make one piece exhaust valves for the F4R, only the inlets, its just Ktec dont realise that and then other people quote their website as if they have the first clue they know what they are on about, lol

To the OP, I'd think fairly seriously about better ways to spend your cash, but if you do decide that its worth 6k to make your clio a little quicker, Laine has done a pretty reasonable job of outlining the basics, although i'd be fitting new guides which he hasnt budget for, or a decent flywheel and new clutch, etc etc

Then no point in that power with a diff, thats another couple of K if you are paying labour too.

Basically a reliable 220bhp setup is probably going to cost more like 10K by the time you are finished TBH if you include a bit of labour.

HBT 172 Cup
Laine, just so you know mate, supertec dont actually make one piece exhaust valves for the F4R, only the inlets, its just Ktec dont realise that and then other people quote their website as if they have the first clue they know what they are on about, lol

Google suggests they do with a part number of: SUP-REVI-28338F-2 unless i've got it wrong again?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Google suggests they do with a part number of: SUP-REVI-28338F-2 unless i've got it wrong again?

Thats a two piece valve. My info source = asking MARTIN TAGLIAVINI in person.

They are welded partway down the stem, they do this in order to allow them to make them more cheaply.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
thanks chip , what about just adding a turbo ? dooable cheaper hp ? ,

FAR cheaper, but has certain disadvantages.

If your target is anything like 250bhp though, its the sensible option, well that or a supercharger, but personally I would go turbo.

Have a look at Jack from MWM's car as an example, 258bhp and 250lbft of torque, and you could replicate it for about 4K relatively easily.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£400 for supertech valves? Christ i'm putting my prices up!

Lol, Ktec are actually FAR dearer that that, I needed some in a hurry recently and thought I'd see what they charge, its almost exactly 500 quid delivered.
So I got them straight from Supertech for about 300 including a 72 hour delivery from the states instead.

You have to hand it to Ktec, they properly know how to mark a product up!
Not sure if they are a PLC, but if they are I would buy shares in them, lol