ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle problem electrical fault

1.2 dynamique 2003
When i start up my car, the electrical fault light will come on and the car will idle anywhere between 1k and 2k revs sometimes it will bounce up and down.

The accelerator pedal is completely unresponsive when its like this. Sometimes pressing the accelerator will cause the revs to drop nearly stalling.

If i turn engine off then on instantly, the electrical fault like goes off and car runs normal and drives fine.

I have noticed that when i turn the power on as normal before engine ignition, i cant hear the fuel pump priming the fuel and the power steering pump isnt working either. But as i say when start engine the problem starts untill i quickly turn it off then on.

Anybody have the same problem or any idea what the problem might be?
Read endless problems with throttle bodies etc and replacing parts with no avail on sorting the problem.

Could it be battery on its way out not powering the pumps unless its had a fresh burst of juice from the alternator once iv start it up and turned it off again?

Cant afford to be wasting money on parts that wont solve the problem.
Any help , thanks

PH2 172
When i start up my car, the electrical fault light will come on and the car will idle anywhere between 1k and 2k revs sometimes it will bounce up and down.

The accelerator pedal is completely unresponsive when its like this. Sometimes pressing the accelerator will cause the revs to drop nearly stalling.

If i turn engine off then on instantly, the electrical fault like goes off and car runs normal and drives fine.

I have noticed that when i turn the power on as normal before engine ignition, i cant hear the fuel pump priming the fuel and the power steering pump isnt working either. But as i say when start engine the problem starts untill i quickly turn it off then on.

Anybody have the same problem or any idea what the problem might be?
Read endless problems with throttle bodies etc and replacing parts with no avail on sorting the problem.

Could it be battery on its way out not powering the pumps unless its had a fresh burst of juice from the alternator once iv start it up and turned it off again?

Cant afford to be wasting money on parts that wont solve the problem.
Any help , thanks
Please confirm this is your 1.2Litre.This has been covered time over on here.Try Searching threads by Limp Mode.
You are right about not wasting money on parts.The most likely causes are corrosion in the wiring in the engine bay fuse box area,or chaffing of the wiring leading to the ECU at the rear of the engine.
GET THE CODES READ,but do NOT replace the component,it will 95% be the wiring circuit.
Can anybody recommend somebody competent in the Huddersfield area?

1.2 dynamique 2003
Yeah its a 1.2. 16v.
Ysee thAts the problem, the car isnt even going into limp mode. It did before when i had an issue with the pedal switch a couple of months ago but i sorted that.
this time round, when i start it up the throttle is completely unresponsive, can put foot down and either nothing will happen at all or the revs might drop to nearly 0revs for a second. No drive at all. Like i say the only way i can get round the problem is quickly turning the engine off then start back up very quickly (as in the split second before the engine stops turning over) and then everything runs absolutely perfectly with no electrical light untill i turn engine off. I would have thought that if it was anything to do with wiring corroding etc it would be less consistent and more random? and would do it mid journey which it doesnt, just on starting engine.
Iv popped down to the garage with it theyve done a diagnostics, and theres a few faults with throttlebody like throttle positioning sensor. They have recommended best thing to do is replace the whole throttle body which cant be that expensive i presume as it looks like a simple job, just folking out for the part. But like i say pretty skint so just wanna try pintpoint the issue before start wasting money on parts xx

1.2 dynamique 2003
Iv just had a good look at the top wiring loom and all connectors and i cant see any sign of chaffing at all or water ingress etc. If anything it seems to be in really good condition. Like i say surely if it was wiring fault the problem would be more random rather than just on start up. Maybe with abit of luck it is just the throttle body that needs a good clean and might just be gunk on the sensors. I mean thats all it takes on the tdc sensor for the car to go dead.

PH2 172
Yeah its a 1.2. 16v.
Ysee thAts the problem, the car isnt even going into limp mode. It did before when i had an issue with the pedal switch a couple of months ago but i sorted that.
this time round, when i start it up the throttle is completely unresponsive, can put foot down and either nothing will happen at all or the revs might drop to nearly 0revs for a second. No drive at all. Like i say the only way i can get round the problem is quickly turning the engine off then start back up very quickly (as in the split second before the engine stops turning over) and then everything runs absolutely perfectly with no electrical light untill i turn engine off. I would have thought that if it was anything to do with wiring corroding etc it would be less consistent and more random? and would do it mid journey which it doesnt, just on starting engine.
Iv popped down to the garage with it theyve done a diagnostics, and theres a few faults with throttlebody like throttle positioning sensor. They have recommended best thing to do is replace the whole throttle body which cant be that expensive i presume as it looks like a simple job, just folking out for the part. But like i say pretty skint so just wanna try pintpoint the issue before start wasting money on parts xx
Does it do this every start up,or just from cold?
Also can you bump start it on a hill,and everything is normal straight away?

1.2 dynamique 2003
Ai does it every start up. Although it did start up straight properly first time this afternoon as i was setting off to work, but seeing if it was just a fluke i turne engine off when i got to work and start it again with the problem.
I did hook it up to my rents car an jump start it to check it wasnt the battery on its way out but made no difference.
Gunna get some carb cleaner and give the throttle body a wipe over the weekend. Looks like a doddle to do. Sopose theres nothing to look out for when i do this? Dont want to accidently make it worse or something lol