ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticking, Smell of Petrol And Intermittent Starting Problems

1.4 Dynamique
Hi everyone, had my 1.4 2002 dynamique for about 3 months now. When I first got it there was a slight ticking ticking noise coming from the left side of the engine, it sounds a little like this video I saw posted but not quite as loud and rattly if that makes sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1teWk1UH8

The intermittent starting problems and smell of petrol coming from the exhaust when cold starting could be to do with the Coolant Temperature sensor, causing the engine to run rich resulting in the petrol smell. I don't really know whats causing the ticking sound, engine oil is up to level and has recently been replaced in a service. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so what was the solution because I can't really justify spending £600 for a dephaser pulley on a car that only cost me £1000.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You won't have a dephaser pulley on a 1.4 16v K4J mate as they're non-VVC.

Ticking noises are never good on that side of the engine bay though and i'd get it looked at to at least rule out the two biggest killers of these engines:
  • Timing Belt tensioner/idler failure
  • Water pump failure
Also, you say you cannot justify spending £600 on a car that cost your £1000 but how much will it cost you to repair it OR ultimately replace it in the event of timing belt failure? I'm only in Nottingham so 35mins from Grantham and a complete timing belt, aux belt and water pump change service on your car would be £380 so nowhere near as bad as you initially thought. I would charge you £35 to check it all out for you including carrying out a proper diagnostic to see what's causing the over fuelling/starting issue.

Mick
www.diamondmotors.co.uk