ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for an upgrade, need a bit of help

RS 172
Hey all, been a while since I've actually posted on here and my membership has expired so I appologise if this isnt the ideal place to post this.

Basically, I've recently turned 20 and as much as I love my little 1.2 and how it looks, I've had it since my 17th and I feel a bit of an upgrade in the midst.
Its further fueled by my sis whos gonna be driving real soon, and my old man is willing to grab my motor off me for her provided I can sort out something new.

Essentially I'm just looking for a bit of input from other people on the best course of action. I've got a bit of a shortlist going on, but each have their pros and cons which make the decision fairly difficult. The list is below with a basic rundown;

> RS 182
- this is the one I really have my heart set on, but insurance is fairly high (but not necessarily un-doable), and I wonder if getting another Clio is the way to fly as I have sat in one for 3 years now. But still, I have wanted a 182 more than anything for a long time now, and wouldnt like to go elsewhere unless something can match it properly.

> 206 GTi 180
- torn on this, old man pointed them out to me because he thought they may be cheaper to insure but quotes so far dont seem to prove that. Also not a big 206 fan in general, and I wonder if getting one of these would be a mistake when I could get a 182. They dont seem like bad go-ers though and seem to come well equiped. Not sure how well looked after most will be.

> 106 GTi
- loved these for a long time. I hear they have some serious get-up-and-go with a little work. Do seem a little small for me though as I am a tall lad, but they are the cheapest by a long way. Basic but if they are exciting enough I wouldnt mind.

Im really still wanting to go the 182 route, but I assume they are the most expensive not only in terms of buying, but servicing and general expenses too?

Any other suggestions? Basically I want the best I can get right now, but without getting silly on costs. I know if I dont get a nice quick hot-hatch now, I probably never will as by the time my 3rd car comes around I will probably shoot for something larger. Thats why I havent bothered looking at Clio 1.6's for example, as I dont think the upgrade would be worth it.
Considered CTR's, 306 GTi-6's and some entry-level Jap Turbos but I think the insurance will kill me.

Thanks guys any help in pointing me in the right direction will help.

BMW F21 125d
RS 182 over a 206 GTi 180 any day of the week, I'm not just saying that because its a clio forum, I've driven both as I even considered getting a GTi 180 until i drove it and i was disappointed tbh, I chose a 172 instead & have since moved to a 182.

Pug 106 GTi is a very good car, and responds very well to breathing mods such as filter & exhaust. From your other suggestions, 306 GTi-6 or rallye are very good cars (used to have a 306 XSi).

Costs wise on a 182, if you get one with the major service (belts done) and dont drive it like you stole it all the time, it should see you right averaging 30mpg. Insurance for all the cars you mentioned wont be super cheap as they are all group 15+ i'd imagine!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I have had most of the cars in your list . In order

1. Clio 172 Still for me the best car i have ever had amazing at everything

2. 306 gti6 again realy good car amazing handling good pace and good looks only thing is the weight and poor mpg

3. 106 gti the 2nd best handling car i have ever had realy good fun and would love another only bad bits are the breaks are very poor but can sort that with 206 gti upgrade

4. 206 gti ( 137 bhp ) not the 180 but was not to Impressed handling was poor and not all that fast 180 might be better but would not go for it . Seats are good mind.

I would go for the Clio RS its the only ever car that i have had two of .

Alan

320d
I'd go for the 182. Your always going to get that responce on a Clio forum though.

However 106 GTI's are a very capable car, but the 182's far better. The 106 GTI's just a tin can where as although the Clio may be no Bently you get Climate control, cruise control, decent stereo, nice interior etc.

BMW E92/Audi S3
182 all day every day.
Lots of people have upgraded to 182's because they are actually one of the best hot hatches around when it comes to speed/handling etc. Not that fast but fast enough!

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
For me it would be the 182, i've never really liked the 206's so thats personal opinion, and the 106 is supposed to be a fantastic car, but maybe a little basic in comparison to a FF182 with all its mod cons. for me there would only be one choice there, but if your torn then go out and blag some test drives to really make your mind up. best to try them then think "what if..."

A3 Tdi
Your right in saying the upgrade from a 1.2 to a 1.6 (in my case a zetec s) really isn't worth it. Although its quicker its not that noticable.
I personally wish I had kept my 1.2 and went to a 2.0 L after :(
What sort of insurance prices have you been quoted.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
What about a 172, a cup even? Less to buy and leaving you with some extra towards insurance. I don't think I'd be wanting to pay over 1250 on insurance though.

What sort of quotes have you been getting?

DB.

BMW 440i
206 Gti180s have the nicest interiors out of all of them with stunning bucket seats out the box, the dash etc is alot nicer! Feel less rattly/plasticy than the Clios.

However, i had the same choice coming from a 1.4 206, and went over to the 182 side, even though a Gti180 would have been a fair bit cheaper on the insurance for me being 19.

I prefer the looks/colour of the Clio 182. I dont think there is that much difference between handling, especially if you can lower the 206 on Eibach/Bilsteins.

RB 182 wins for me though

182. Don't borrow mad money to get and insure one though.

^That.

If it's going to cost you the world, get the 106.

I had a similar choice to yours to make. I wanted a Ph1 but the cost I decided was just a bit too much so bought a GTi instead.

RS 172
Cheers for the input guys, its good to so some people have been in similar situations before.

The more I read the more I think it will be best to go with my 1st choice, the 182. I have considered a 172, but have been told by a few people (and I do half agree in a way) that everytime I then saw a 182 on the road I'd wish I had just gone for one instead. Having said that I also know that with some money put in the right places (and looking at some of the fantastic 172's on here) that I can get one looking absolutely stunning regardless of the twin exits and other additions.

You have pretty much confirmed my suspicions surrounding the 206 too. Had a feeling they would be good enough cars looking at the whole picture, but getting one would be seriously underselling myself considering what else is available.

Will still be looking at 106's in the mean time. Biggest kick in the nads for me is my loss of no claims bonus. Basically if I had my full 3 years now I know I could be getting the 182 insured for under £1000.
But last Feb (on my birthday of all days) I was driving as that first batch of snow/ice fell. Basically rear end twitched out on a corner (my fault obviously, didnt read the changing conditions well enough) and ended up touching front to front with another Clio. The impact was so minimal I honestly think a wasp would have survived being between the two front ends, but by foolishly playing the nice guy for the two girls in the other car they took me for a ride claiming whiplash etc. I got shafted.

So now I'm getting quotes of around £1700 for a 182 and around £900 for a 106 GTi. Obviously I cant justify going for £1700 but I'm fairly confident there is room for negotiation on there if I go direct and the family have agree to go multicar (its Admiral) if it will get it down to an affordable rate; also considering savings on other family cars.

Leaning over to a 106 right now, as much as it pains me to do so, but I cant go for the 182 without a considerable drop in quotation. Maybe I'll sell the 106 on in a year, I'm sure the 21 milestone will bring a 182 into more realistic reach.
Having said that, 306 GTi-6 is coming in at the same insurance money at the 106 GTi, so which of these would be a better shout?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Hard one that 106 gti and 306 gti-6 are amazing . I dont no what one was best out of the two i had ?

Cheers for the input guys, its good to so some people have been in similar situations before.

The more I read the more I think it will be best to go with my 1st choice, the 182. I have considered a 172, but have been told by a few people (and I do half agree in a way) that everytime I then saw a 182 on the road I'd wish I had just gone for one instead. Having said that I also know that with some money put in the right places (and looking at some of the fantastic 172's on here) that I can get one looking absolutely stunning regardless of the twin exits and other additions.

You have pretty much confirmed my suspicions surrounding the 206 too. Had a feeling they would be good enough cars looking at the whole picture, but getting one would be seriously underselling myself considering what else is available.

Will still be looking at 106's in the mean time. Biggest kick in the nads for me is my loss of no claims bonus. Basically if I had my full 3 years now I know I could be getting the 182 insured for under £1000.
But last Feb (on my birthday of all days) I was driving as that first batch of snow/ice fell. Basically rear end twitched out on a corner (my fault obviously, didnt read the changing conditions well enough) and ended up touching front to front with another Clio. The impact was so minimal I honestly think a wasp would have survived being between the two front ends, but by foolishly playing the nice guy for the two girls in the other car they took me for a ride claiming whiplash etc. I got shafted.

So now I'm getting quotes of around £1700 for a 182 and around £900 for a 106 GTi. Obviously I cant justify going for £1700 but I'm fairly confident there is room for negotiation on there if I go direct and the family have agree to go multicar (its Admiral) if it will get it down to an affordable rate; also considering savings on other family cars.

Leaning over to a 106 right now, as much as it pains me to do so, but I cant go for the 182 without a considerable drop in quotation. Maybe I'll sell the 106 on in a year, I'm sure the 21 milestone will bring a 182 into more realistic reach.
Having said that, 306 GTi-6 is coming in at the same insurance money at the 106 GTi, so which of these would be a better shout?

RS 172
Thinking a 306 GTi-6 for practicallity coupled with similar performance to the 106, but then again who wants to be practical at 20 eh?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
in Standard form the 306 gti-6 is a little faster and has more space and much better breaks but a HUGE turning circle and not great mpg .

Thinking a 306 GTi-6 for practicallity coupled with similar performance to the 106, but then again who wants to be practical at 20 eh?

RS 172
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Focus ST170? Think its now a toss-up between a 172, 306GTi-6 and an ST170.

Iceberg 172
I'd 100% go for a 172. I'm not that biased as i only had mine for a week!

But... I've had a 106 GTI and absolutely loved it... but to sum up the 172, it's like a grown up 106 GTI with more power, nicer interior, bit more spacious etc.

The 106 is a superb hot hatch, but to buy a decent one that's been looked after you're looking at £4k. (I sold mine 2 years ago for nearly £5500 but it was very low mileage and miticulously maintained and was immaculate... seriously clean). But they are small, rattly, and although they are quick they're not as effortless as a 172 for the obvious reason of 400cc more.

The 306 is a nice car but for me it's 172 over this again due the the interior in the 306 being very dated now and again being quite hard to come accross a nice one.

A CTR will criple you on insurance aswell as maintanance and on buying a decent one (jumping up to £8k for a nice one).

An ST170 I think is a bit disappointing and not in the same league as the others (I would of thought Ford purposely made it a bit softer and slower to keep a market open for the RS).

I know this is a Clio forum and you'll get biased opinions but I'm a lover of the 172's after a week of ownership and for the money there is no comparison to my knowledge otherwise I'd be considering one of them aswell now that i'm looking for another one.

I would get a 182 (as they're newer) but i'm not keen on the 2 exhausts so would have to change that to a stealth looking one. But for the money i'd just get a 172 in good condition with low mileage for £3500 - £4500.

Petrol in the 172 is also exceptional... possibly the most economical performance car i've owned! (TT225, RST, 106 GTI, Seat Ibiza Cupra, 20VT Polo GTI).

There is possibly 2 other options. Polo 6n2 GTI or Lupo GTI. The Polo GTI is obviously a lot softer and not as fast or fun as the 172 but the interior, looks and build quality are superb. I had one but had a 1.8 20v turbo conversion running over 280bhp so was quite quick!

The Lupo is a tad more expensive but has a wicked chassis, later ones are 6 speed, look good, are bigger inside than you would think, very rare on the road, great cult dub following, and also respond well to breathing mods releasing a few bhp. Cheap to insure and run.

Whatever you choose have fun!

I'd 100% go for a 172. I'm not that biased as i only had mine for a week!

But... I've had a 106 GTI and absolutely loved it... but to sum up the 172, it's like a grown up 106 GTI with more power, nicer interior, bit more spacious etc.

The 106 is a superb hot hatch, but to buy a decent one that's been looked after you're looking at £4k. (I sold mine 2 years ago for nearly £5500 but it was very low mileage and miticulously maintained and was immaculate... seriously clean). But they are small, rattly, and although they are quick they're not as effortless as a 172 for the obvious reason of 400cc more.

You're far too sensible to be on ClioSport.

Possibly the most accurate comparison I've read on here.

Iceberg 172
You're far too sensible to be on ClioSport.

Possibly the most accurate comparison I've read on here.

Lol. Thanks!

If my 106 GTI came up for sale again I'd try to buy it back straight away if I could. But it was far too clean to get stripped and abused so it'd have to be kept for a Show Car in a very OEM+++ way!