ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

time for belts change.... do i do the dephaser pulley too??

well both belts are due to be changed but the question is, do you think i need to change the dephaser pulley too? or shall i save some pennies and leave it...

is it really necessary? any opinions appreciated :)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
well i didnt think mine would need doing, im only on 46k, but when i got to freds he was like that is starting to go cos it was ticking a bit (i think that was what he said), so i would definetly reccommend it being done will save u money in the long run

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i find it strange that go back to 2005 when all the ph1s started getting belt changes no one was changing these or suffering any failures (or atleast we wern't hearing of it), now on 182's people are changing them all the time?

is this down to the physical dephasers being of worse quality on newer cars or are people getting paranoid and changing things that dont need done?

its 2005 on 54k miles

hmmm i suppose it should be changed but not sure if i want to spend the extra cash as will be selling up in a few months to free up some money for house.

decisions decisions

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
yeah exactly depends on how clued up the buyer is though, but aslong as the belts have been done thats the main thing

2010 Jetta TDi 140
I had mine done for peace of mind. It cost an extra £160 when I had the belts done so didn't want to risk it failing and needing to do all the belts again. I am planning on keeping the car though

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
As the points been raised already, look back in the past, ph1 172's never had major issue's with them, I would say 1/3 182's we have in for belt change needs a dephaser pulley, we got a tech note from Renault claiming poor oil changes were the cause, I've seen them fail from as little as 30k, but Tom's did well over 100k and when we did the belts there was still no play/noise, big difference being Tom's given an oil service every 6k with fully syn. 5w40 where's the 30k 182 had 12k intervals at Renault where sadly they were using 10w40 semi synthetic oil.

James

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine finally let go at 68k. Three months after I had all the belts done.

I'd get it done for peace of mind TBH.

Clio 182 FF
I would deffo change the dephaser to mate.If you sell the car in a few months to someone who knows anything about the amount of them that are going wrong they would ask if this has been changed.your choice at the end of day though.