ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing of the 172 Have I missed something or is it really this mental ???

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Hi all I am new to the forum I now own two clio 172's one which is road worthy and one which is mainly spread all over the garage floor, " Track car project "The one in the garage was bought with a snapped cam belt on stripping the engine down I found that one of the cam tensioners had collapsed as a result belt tension was lost all eight inlet valves have been bent. All eight exhaust valves appear to be fine will inspect closer.
Am i correct in observing that non of the cam belt pulleys are keyed as on most cars and that the timing is done based on locking the cams with the tool on the gearbox side and putting in the TDC pin into the crankshaft then fitting the belt tensioning it running it round to check it all of the cam pulleys are only held in place by the security of the nuts and bolts securing them into position but other then that there positioning is fully variable it all just seems a little crazy to me or have I missed something when stripping the engine down. I have read quiet a few posts about timing etc but is the setup really this crazy.

:S

Any advice / clarity on the subject will be great fully received.

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yep you are right, all pulleys are "free wheeling"

You need the pin for the crank, the horse shoe for the cams and the cam pulleys locking tool.

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Thanks for the feedback I thought it was too crazy and I had missed something I bought some cheap tools off e bay but I am going to go to Renault and buy the proper ones for when I come to set it up on Monday as I still don't have the cam shaft locker for the pulley end and it would appear that it's very important that the cam shaft pulleys are locked up nice and secure when I come to rebuild mine.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes they are all needed to do the job in the correct way.

Tools for Renault are about £150.

Where abouts are you?

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Up North Stockton On Tees going to get the tools ordered on Monday from the local Renault dealer hopefully I will be on with the rebuild by next weekend although I am in no rush it's a bit of a winter project I want to uprate all the suspension and strip out the interior etc all the bit's which come off my track car will do to improve the one I use a a run about.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Message Adam @ Wolverhampton Renault on here in the traders section.

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Will do I am just finding my way about just found them on the traders section so I will message them thanks.