ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing up 197 cams for a 182

Clio 182
So how are people timing up 197 cams to a 182 engine. Doing cambelt etc myself and was looking to buy 197 cams to fit to my 182, but can't find info anywhere about timing them up correctly. I searched in this section of the forum also and couldn't see anything

Cheers

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Use the standard Renault timing tools. But instead of using the Renault horse shoe tool. Use a 197 timing tool. 7 or 8 degrees depending on how you want it and mappers preference.

Where are you based. I have the 197 tool you can rent. Cheers

Clio 182
Use the standard Renault timing tools. But instead of using the Renault horse shoe tool. Use a 197 timing tool. 7 or 8 degrees depending on how you want it and mappers preference.

I am In Glasgow, so most likely miles away from anyone 😂

Clio 182

Hey, how are you advancing the timing 8 deg on the inlet? Are people using a custom locking tool as well as the 197 tool?

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
@ryancook1993

Use the genuine Renault tools to lock the crank, and then the 197 8 degree timing tool to accurately time the cams up.
The rest of the timing is done no differently. Just the horse shoe tool is replaced by the 197 timing tool 👍🏻 Hope that helps to explain.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I assume the 197 timing tool your referring to is a custom tool to fit 197 cams?, not a Renault 197 tool as the horseshoe is the same for both?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Also once timed up. In this instance I timed my 197 cams with a 7 degree custom timing tool, you can drive the car sedately on Rs tuner 98 .cal file to a mapper for a final tune.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I have here somewhere a tool made up for 197 cams that gave 182 ft/Ib on my old exclusive, was a timing spec Mike Woodford was mucking about with and it made that car superb to drive.

It did however tweak both cams.