ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tinted windows

i am thinking about tinting my windows, ive had a quote £150 has anyone had it done and does it look good.
should i have it done tell me what i should do?

Is that all windows (except front windscreen obviousally!) for £150?

Thats a very good price if it is. Id expect a minimum of £180, and easily £200 for a top quality job.

Black looks good on any colour of car IMO. Have you noticed how quite a few cars in TV adverts have black windows? Dont go too dark or you will have the police stopping you every other day...

Dont go for anything else other than black, unless you have a car whose colour suits mirrored tints.

If you can get tints that make rainbows like mine, get them, it pulls all the birds!

hi timrud yes thats £150 all windows except windscreen i was going for a black tint 35% he said im allowed i got a iceberg silver 172 think it would look good then?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i got a top notch job done on mine by the same people that do JEEPs, cost £330, but looks very professional, mine is the first clio in the others galley (Blue MTV) if you want to take a look,

Gaz

mate thats not a bad price I paid £170 to have my windows tinted and I think they look smart we went for light smoke alround Ive got some pics let us no your email will send your some if you want.

richard

Crikey! I had a quick check in the members discount section and for a light smoke on all side windows and rear screen they charge (discount included) £355 + VAT!! Just goes to show that if you have a scout about...
Thats great cos those prices put me off but if its possible to get it done for like half the price...!

£150 that all? Mine were £200,the end result is v good quality though. I had no clue what a good price was cos I didnt know n e 1 at the time who had it done.

My concern would be the cheaper you go - the lesser the quality will be.
Guess it depends on how they are going to tint them? Using films or dipping etc.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

also some cheaper tints only tend to last a year or 2, then start peeling or scratching. Not a problem if you arent planning on keeping your car long I suppose.

Hi Richard

I too own a Iceberg Silver 172 and am seriously interested in tinting my windows, however I would like to see yours to get an idea of shade, etc. Could you also e-mail a pic of your car on mrobin@skynow.net

Cheers
Scott

yeah thats a right prie and the quality is good mate loads of my mates have had there cars tinted my south coast tints. all look excellent. just think its more of a case that everywhere else is a rip off.

clio williams, Ph1 172

I got my mate to do my 16V. Hes not a professional tinter but it looks pretty good. I had the back windows dark smoke and the front light smoke. I was gonna get my rear screen done too but the curve on the window made it hard so i didnt bother. The hardest bit of doing it is that we had to take all the windows out. The only problem is that the tints slightly scratched. But then again it cost be £30 so I cant complain really. Id reckomend dark smoke for back and light for front. It is legal and you cant tell that its that much darker on the back. It looks quality, not tacky. I wouldnt reckonend a limo black tint as thats illegal and looks a bit, how can I say Hardcore.

can i tint the windscreen in the light smoke or is this illegal,i was thinking light smoke all round except for the back where it would be dark smoke

I think as far as I know u can tint the back 3 windows as dark as u like, u cant touch the front windscreen and the drivers and passengers windows have 2 let about 30% of light in. I always get mixed up with the % of light they have 2 let in so feel free 2 correct me if u know dif!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

mine is dark smoke on all three back windows, then light on the two front sides, and you cant touch the windscreen

Anything forward of the a pillar (i.e. the windscreen) cant be touched at all below the IS1 marker (Its a little arrow near the top with IS1 written next to it. This area has to let in 73% of the ambient light. (1986 Construction and Use Regs)
Anything with IS2 written on it, i.e. forward of the B pillar cant legally be tinted either, and has to let in 70% of the ambient light.
Anything behind the B pillar can be tinted as much as you like.
Be real careful. The police are hotting up on this, and it can invalidate your insurance.....

does the light smoke on the driver side and dark on the back look good i was worried that it might look funny i was going to do light smoke on the sides then dark smoke at the back

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Ive got light smoke all round, and where less light enters the back of the car, I find the back always looks darker than the front anyway, in fact sometimes you can barely see in the back window.

hey jas does it look good on the silver car i got iceberg silver think i will do the same as u and have light smoke all round.

clio williams, Ph1 172

It looks good light smoke at front and dark smoke in back windows. You can slightly tell the difference but in some lights not really at all. I wanted it like that anyway as new cars that have tints have the back darker.
As for the windscreen I wouldnt bother for a few reasons:
1) Film scratches easily
2) The windscreen would have to come out as the tint goes on the inside.
3) It is illegal

If I were you Id do what I did, I just had a pretty big black strip on the windscreen. Ill post some pics of mine when I get chance. The ones in the gallery are months old.