ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tiny rust spots 182!?

Titanium 182
when washing the car today i noticed my car has a few little rust looking spots on it that dont wash off, the marks are very small, but they cant be rust as there on the bumper and front wings which are plastic.

the car is silver, just wondering if anyone else has come across this and what it is/ how to remove it?

they are only noticable when looking closely or washing the car!

Titanium 182
yeh think il have to clay it!, its not tar, or chips or anything like that it doesnt actually feel like its stuck on but its only just appeared!

weird!

106 GTi
Do you park near railway lines or near heavy industry ? Sounds like some kind of industrial fallout and will show up easily on Silver, it is small particles of shite trying to etch in your paint - get it clayed.

Titanium 182
i work in the steel industry as an electrician!, so yeah heavy industry and there is also trains and rail movement all over the site.

strange how it has just appearead though? il get a clay bar only thing is it doesnt actually feel as if the marks are something that will come off? as they cant be felt on the paint at all

106 GTi
That will be it then. Fairly common, but only really show up on light colours.

Hopefully the clay and a good polish should sort then.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Do you park near railway lines or near heavy industry ? Sounds like some kind of industrial fallout and will show up easily on Silver, it is small particles of s**te trying to etch in your paint - get it clayed.

Poirot01b.gif

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same orange spots on my iceburg silver 172, mainly on the front wings. Claying does help, but i found that a bit of elbow grease and a old toothbrush does the trick.

Titanium 182
toothbrush on the paintwork?

il have to get them removed with some hard graft next time i wash it then!

glad to hear it can be removed, somework must have been going on near the passenger side of my car as my wing and door has it on this side, luckily not all that much tho!

i work in the steel industry as an electrician!, so yeah heavy industry and there is also trains and rail movement all over the site.

strange how it has just appearead though? il get a clay bar only thing is it doesnt actually feel as if the marks are something that will come off? as they cant be felt on the paint at all

Yep its tiny fragmnets or hot airbourne metal which stick into your clearcoat and then rust!

Claying can tend to just break off the tip of each rust nib. You will then need to use a fallout remover/acid wash to clean out the embedded part of the metal nib, otherwise it will just rust again.

Ensure car is then sealed/waxed and cleaned regularly!

Titanium 182
the car is cleaned weekly, im not very clued up on detailing so can anyone tell me how to seal the car? never waxed a car either, only use polish about every 3 months as the shampoo has wax in so didnt think i would need to wax it!? (sorry if that sounds stupid!)

where can i get some fallout remover? halfords?!!

cheers Dean

Titanium 182
thanks for that mate,

right so il clay the car then i need to get an acid wash and an alkaloid wash,

sounds a bit worrying putting an acid wash on the car mind, can anyone recommend one to me? as i cant say iv seen any forsale!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
when i worked in a factory I had this on my silver Focus never noticed it on my other cars as they have been darker colours i always put it down to cast iron dust from when we machined it as you could see it in the air.