ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

to cup or not to cup

Hello Clio boys Im sorry if this has been discussed before, but Im new to this and heres my question.
Im thinking of a clio 172 as a second car. Ive read all the rave reviews on the 172 cup.
I ve been looking fpr a 172 cup but because they were not made until later they are a bit out of my price range and hard to find.
Im thinking of cutting my losses and going for a 172 sport.
I already have a track day car so this is just for going to work as a B road basher.
Is there that much difference? engine etc..
Will I notice the difference?
I can loose 80kg by kicking the wife and kids out!!
Can I convert the sport suspension and track to that of the cup?
Can I put a roof rack on them both ( I do alot of mountain biking)
Cheers in antisipation Ant

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

Cant answer your question I have not been in either, let alone driven them, but welcome to the site, someone will be along soon to help ya.

the cup has the same engine as the 172 sport, it has different suspension, slightly wider track (only because of the wheels tho), it is lightened by loosing abs/leather seats/airbags,air con/some sound proofing, no spare wheel, and has lighter glass

the cup doesnt have zenons or cruise control or traction control either

you can put the cup bits on a 172 sport, but your better off fittng an aftermarket suspension on it

you can put roof rack on both of them too

Trophy 263 + 265

how much you got to spend ?

not much difference it the prices of 172 and 172 cup anyway.

the 172 will be better for every day use more toys to play with:D

unless you buy the mark 1- 172

AS YOU CAN SEE - Ive done it... 172 Mk1 if you can find a low mileage one that hasnt had the rag pulled from the interior. Between a Scooby Sti8 PPP and a Clio 182 for fun....The clio. Hardcore drag and dislocted shoulders it only what I what from the scoob.

Questions between Cup and Normal - Do you really want air con......

Trophy 263 + 265

the mark 1 finished in 2001.

but for that money you can get a mark 2 172 or 172 cup.

much more up to date than the dated(imho) mark 1

there are a couple on autotrader just over 7k and a high milage 52 plate cup for £6,900.

also try ebay always good for a bargain.

good luck with the motor search

the cup has the same engine as the 172 sport, it has different suspension, slightly wider track (only because of the wheels tho), it is lightened by loosing abs/leather seats/airbags,air con/some sound proofing, no spare wheel, and has lighter glass..........................................................................

not all true as i have a 2003 172 cup and i do have climte control, aircon and two airbags pasenger one can be turned off too! it does feel very nice inside. im sure the normal 172 is a bit more luxaury but the cup i find more sporty feeling inside and out and comes in the best colour IMO + nicer wheels! lol il stop now........thats why i got it:D as i had the choice of both and just felt the best to me good luck with buying one mate just go for what feels the best to u...

Quote: Originally posted by Jay@auto-mods on 03 February 2005

the cup has the same engine as the 172 sport, it has different suspension, slightly wider track (only because of the wheels tho), it is lightened by loosing abs/leather seats/airbags,air con/some sound proofing, no spare wheel, and has lighter glass..........................................................................

not all true as i have a 2003 172 cup and i do have climte control, aircon and two airbags pasenger one can be turned off too! it does feel very nice inside. im sure the normal 172 is a bit more luxaury but the cup i find more sporty feeling inside and out and comes in the best colour IMO + nicer wheels! lol il stop now........thats why i got it:D as i had the choice of both and just felt the best to me good luck with buying one mate just go for what feels the best to u...

yeh i didnt say it had lost all airbags, just some to save weight, also they didnt have climate control as standard it was an option that they fitted on later models :),( i did have a cup)

i have a 2003 cup and love it to bits i must say though i would of bought the standard 172 if they would of had one at the dealer , they only had my car :cool:

Ive been fortunate to have a 172 mk2 for 12 months & then a 172 cup, both have been on the track & i found the cup to a better car for track work. However, the interior of the 172 was a much nicer place to be on a journey & was a jack of all trades, especially if you happen across a decent set of roads. I think their are small degrees of difference in feel between the two on the road, but as an overall package, you cant go wrong with a 172.

Good luck with your choice, youll love either of them!!!

Remapped derv Golf

The Cup started in late 2002.

Cheapest examples are about £6800

Dont bother with the Cup - get a normal mk2 172 and uprate the springs and spoilers.

Ziel Nurburgring

Get a 172 as you already have a track car and its nice to have a bit of leather, CC and sound proofing. For the cash your not likely to get cruise as std as it came out on late 53s (It became std in the august, so some of them dont have it). Horses for courses really, stripped out road/track car or a car equally as fast, comftable and more toys?

From what I can tell the cup is about 0.1 of a second faster that the MK2 172 sport, but I looked at the Cup and thourght that it lacked a little. But either way the Renault sport cars are badd and since Iv had mine I been kickin ass all over the place.

Im going to try a couple of 172 sports tomorrow & Ive got my eye on a cup but thats private & will requie me selling the Subaru first.
One more thing Ill be using this car mostly but once a week my wife will use it for work (Ill have the kid carrier)
Shes a comunity physio, we live in the back of beyond in cumbria B road heaven, Im a bit worried about the lack of ABS on the cup Do you think this is a big issue. I notice they added it to the 182 cup!!
Cheers again for all your help Ill let you know how I get on............

320d

I really like the cars you are trying to sell me.
Ill have to get rid of mine first before I can buy private.

These cars deserve a BUMP (what ever that means?!)

Quote: Originally posted by Samol on 03 February 2005

Im going to try a couple of 172 sports tomorrow & Ive got my eye on a cup but thats private & will requie me selling the Subaru first.
One more thing Ill be using this car mostly but once a week my wife will use it for work (Ill have the kid carrier)
Shes a comunity physio, we live in the back of beyond in cumbria B road heaven, Im a bit worried about the lack of ABS on the cup Do you think this is a big issue. I notice they added it to the 182 cup!!
Cheers again for all your help Ill let you know how I get on............
All new cars (produced in over 400 units a year) need ABS now so the 182 Cup had to have ABS.

Persoanlly Id get a proper 172 ABS isnt the best thing ever to save you but its better to have it on normal roads (IMO).

VaVa

I wouldnt want my missus in a car without ABS. I could live with it, but I know full well that she doesnt have enough driver ability to deal with a proper skid. The closest shed get to taking any action if the wheels locked up would be to close her eyes.

Im in no way saying all women are like this (Ive been a passenger in a Cup with a woman at the wheel at a track day and she out-performed most of the men there) but If I was buying a car for my missus, Id want it to have as many safety deivices as possible.

Clio 182 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 03 February 2005

I wouldnt want my missus in a car without ABS. I could live with it, but I know full well that she doesnt have enough driver ability to deal with a proper skid. The closest shed get to taking any action if the wheels locked up would be to close her eyes.

First thing my missus does is go for the horn. Always. Hopeless... ;-)

cheers

k00k

[Edited by k00k on 03 February 2005 at 11:07pm]