ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To de-cat or not to de-cat that is the question.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi all,

Im thinking about de-catting my PH1, I would like to know the pros and cons.

Will the car gain any more power, be more free revving or will it just make more noise?

Is it a worth while thing to do?

I don't used to car as my daily and its running a KTR single box stealth.

There is future plans to fit cams and a re-map or is it worth doing a re-map if i do de-cat it?

Your input will be a great help

Thanks in advance.

S.

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I found mine a little more free-revving, but lost a little torque.

It sounded quite "tinny around 3k. Some days I liked it, other days it got on my tits.

320d
I love my decat on my 182. Combined with the Scorpion SRN019 exhaust it isn't overly boomy on the motorway (far less than a standard twin silenced ktec stealth on my 172 was) and it sounds lovely when going through the gears.

M2 Comp
When I had a decat there was a noticeable increase in mid range power and the car generally felt a lot more eager.

However, was it worth driving a car that was illegal and therefore uninsured? No imo...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
When I had a decat there was a noticeable increase in mid range power and the car generally felt a lot more eager.

However, was it worth driving a car that was illegal and therefore uninsured? No imo...

decats arn't illegal. Just make sure you have 'exhaust modifications' down on your insurance so its covered.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm always in two minds whether to decat my yozza........ Maybe a bit too loud?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Do u have a supersport stealth system? If so leave the cat on as it would be stupidly loud

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Do u have a supersport stealth system? If so leave the cat on as it would be stupidly loud

I have the single box one, I only do around 2.5k miles per year in the car.

Dont know what to do...:(

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
do it, then if you don't like it undo it and sell the decat on here. If you decide to keep it though, just make sure you declare the wholes exhaust system as aftermarket on the insurance.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It will be fine. If its a straight thru pipe all the way through (no centre silencer) then its way 2 loud

I have no center silencer, just the rear box.
Might just leave it with the cat on and get an RS tuner :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I have no center silencer, just the rear box.
Might just leave it with the cat on and get an RS tuner :)

Dont dare take the cat off then haha

Try and get a mid section for it then decat it. I dont rate the rs tuner. Get it mapped by someone

Clio 172 phase 1
Ive Got a full oreca system and its loud like cool loud though sounds like its really going for it " usally when it is " low down under 4k though noise isnt an issue.... I have noticed it almost feels slower with a flat spot low down when you hit the loud pedal hard its fine..... if youre buying/having a system made yeh do it but if youre just thinking of paying £120 for a piece of pipe thats a c**t to fit i wouldnt bother....

Ive Got a full oreca system and its loud like cool loud though sounds like its really going for it " usally when it is " low down under 4k though noise isnt an issue.... I have noticed it almost feels slower with a flat spot low down when you hit the loud pedal hard its fine..... if youre buying/having a system made yeh do it but if youre just thinking of paying £120 for a piece of pipe thats a c**t to fit i wouldnt bother....

I didn't think yours was that loud lol

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think im going to hold fire untill I here a car that has been, should be lots at ccs.

Im not over keen on loosing torque low down as these cars need all the torque they can get.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hmmmm not as loud as i thought it was going to be, sounds nice at revs.

If i go for one then i will also have to get a RS tuner on it, not going to have pops and bangs though.

Hmmmm not as loud as i thought it was going to be, sounds nice at revs.

If i go for one then i will also have to get a RS tuner on it, not going to have pops and bangs though.

It isn't dead loud no where close to a yozza, it's not quiet though !

I couldn't recommend the RS tuner enough , seriously makes the car a different one , not just the extra performance but how smooth it drives now and the better MPG ! Before I let off the throttle after full acceleration and it was like someone braking , now it goes up and down the rev range 100x better !

Plus around town I get 31-33 mpg now !

Thats with the 98ron map , I didn't consider the P&B Map , it can't be good for your car lol !

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers for all of your help mate, no im not going P&B it will end up driving me mad plus im 37 so should grow up...lol

RS Tuner and De-cat here we come...:D