ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To trust the mileage to empty?

Clio Sport 172 02
Lo,

I was wondering how seriously can you take the miles to empty stat?

Is it super accurate or miles off? If it says 50 miles could i run it to 5 miles left and it be ok? Or is it not as specific as that?

Thanks

Reg:rasp:

you normally have 1 gallon left when the counter goes off and your petrol light is on , so 30 miles worth thereabouts ..... how far you test it after that is optional

BMW E46 330i Touring
I think that the 'miles remaining' indicator just goes blank when you get that near the end of the tank (5 miles or so), so it's up to you then.

silver cup packed FF 182
lowest ive got to was bout 20miles,then i just had to get it re-filled as didnt want to do any damage if it were to be.

Black Clio GT
ive had a mondeo from work on 0 miles for about 10 miles before i got in to fill it up!!

wouldnt chance it on a 172 though lol

Anything from the fleet
I just reset the trip when the fuel light comes on and take it from there. The furthest I got was 32 miles, but I normally don't let it go as low as that!

clio 172 cup
when the light comes on i go 30 miles and fill up never had a problem, i live near a petrol station and work is seven miles away so always try to run it as low as possible! i dont know why i do just always hve

Breaking A 172 Replica
I feel I can trust mine a fair bit.

I don't do anymore than 20 miles when it flashes --- though.

Sam

mine goes off with 32 miles to go, i reset the trip the other day at that point to count the 32 miles, actually did 49 or so on the way back from Scarborough, my needle was at rock bottom and when i refilled, the thing told me i had 102 miles left when i put £15 in..

I dont trust it to be honest, when the needle is down refill it.

FF Blackgold 182
I think that the 'miles remaining' indicator just goes blank when you get that near the end of the tank (5 miles or so), so it's up to you then.

It sure does, but I think it's when the petrol light comes on.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
you people are all panseys, it's when the red light comes on you start to worry,

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
light comes on, go fill up its simple, it really is not worth trying to find out how long you can go on reserve.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I can't trust the computer. It seems to count the amount of fuel it thinks has been used to figure out how much must be left, and it gets it wildly wrong. It is both inaccurate and inconsistent. I've seen it out by 7-8 litres.

But I can trust the warning light totally. It comes on every time with exactly the same amount of fuel left. 6.5 litres. About a gallon and a half.

And the diagnostic mode on the dash seems to be pretty close. Where you hold down the button on the stalk as you turn the ignition on. Its not as precise as the warning light, but its within a litre.

Elise 111R
can i ask why is everyone so worried about going below X, its not like you dont have a fuel filter to gaurd against rubbish going into the engine also i presume you dont use cr*p supermarket petrol?

I've seen the red once in my month of ownership but knew i had a good 20 miles to get some?

Personally i like to fill mine up at the quarter mark, again around 90 miles left, but if i go past a Shell station and ive got time i'll fill up there and then regardless of fuel amount?

What happens when you run out? Is it like how shown on TopGear when clarksons Audi started to cough?

ive had 61 once the light has come on and it was fine... only reason was because i forgot and i was on a motorway...

Its quiote an accurate system realy light come on at 5 liter ie 1.1 gallon of fuel left.

Fuel sensor though has a wide toleracne in it so the computers only as accurate as that.

Anyway why leave it that low?