ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tom Tom for iphone Vs Tom Tom Unit

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Hey!

I'm in desperate need of a sat nav unit :(

Noticed theres a few Tom Tom deals on over the bank holiday weekend (namely halfrauds lol).

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_728451_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

I'm not against getting the Tom Tom iphone app but I'm not sure if it would be more suitable getting an actual Tom Tom sat nav unit...

I currently dont have iphone cradle and my car headunit has no bluetooth/iphone aux connectivity...

Any thoughts as to which would be the better buy?

All thoughts and opinions welcome :)

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum...

Cheers
Alex

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Why would you need bluetooth/iphone connectivity in your car? You only need a cradle and the app and if your iphone's JB'ed you can get it for free lol.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The speaker on the iphone isn't loud enough imo compared to a dedicated nav unit.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Have you got a stupid exhaust? I find it perfectly suitable tbh, I don't have tomtom though to be fair, i've got copilot.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In my car, yes. In the wife's rover, no, and imo it's still not loud enough.

Tesla MP3 2021
To get the "best" out of the iPhone TomTom App then you need to get the TomTom Car Kit as well, IMO of course. With that you get a better GPS signal (proven) and hands free calling. It it also alot louder with its own speaker so you can hear the instructions alot better.

Price, App is £54.99 and the car kit is £99.

The app itself is just the same as a stand alone unit, I have used both.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I cant see any reason why any decent driver with a sense of direction would need a dedicated unit. Theres no need to have a Sat-nav on all the time.

Co-Pilot does the job for me, i use it 1-2 times a month. However i do have a alpine HU with iPhone throughput so the instructions are routed through that. (And a separate BT car kit, installed)

For £25 its a bargain. Much better value over the £60 TT software.