ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head unit advice please

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Hi I'm looking to get a new head unit , would love some advice. ideally from halfords as I got some vouchers for Christmas plus quite a lot seems to be in the sale. The car has 6/9 in rear shelf and front speakers appear to not be standard

I would like something that has -

I already have a pioneer steering wheel control adapter but if worth getting another make happy to buy another

iPod/phone control.

CD player would be nice but not essential

is easy/intuitive to use

Bluetooth would be nice but not essential

would be suitable if I decide to add to/upgrade in the future

also is DAB worthwhile ? Will this work with standard aerial ?

a few I have seen

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_932005_langId_-1_categoryId_165655#tab2

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_925245_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_916723_langId_-1_categoryId_165655#tab2

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_927771_langId_-1_categoryId_165655#tab2

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_907567_langId_-1_categoryId_165655#tab2

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId_1007676_langId_-1_categoryId_165655#tab2

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_
918067_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nah you don't need amp for them, and tbh as above mentions, some decent rear speakers in standard location would be just as good and much more subtle visually (no to mention less of an advertisement to thieves)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Were already in car when I bought, they aren't visible , very neat installation

Listerine & Poledo
good work on the headunit.

you can use the alpine power-pack amp to double your speaker output without any messing about.

then slap a half-decent all-in-one sub in the boot. Job very done.

Listerine & Poledo
yes.

Just for radio 6 alone.

Mind, if you've got decent coverage in your area for 3g, you can just stream whatever you want to a decent headunit (either through aux-in or bluetooth).

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Did look at the DAB head units, but thought this one was a good compromise

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
good work on the headunit.

you can use the alpine power-pack amp to double your speaker output without any messing about.

then slap a half-decent all-in-one sub in the boot. Job very done.

What are the power-pack amps ?

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I just want to get the best out of what I already have. Why don't people like 6/9's?

Listerine & Poledo
What are the power-pack amps ?

Alpine amps that plug into the existing car wiring.
Literally zero effort to install.
They're probably not the 4x100 they quote but they are certainly more powerful than a hu on its own and there's only so many watts you need in a Clio anyway

As far as 6x9s go. Since you've got them, may as well keep them. Sure they're not #1 in sound quality compared to components but unless you're going to pile mass-tons of cash into your set-up, you're not going to be winning awards anyway.

If they're in a stealth shelf or similar, may as well keep them and then chick some nice 13cm components in the doors (Pioneer do some easy-install ones that don't need you to pull the dash out to install the tweeters).

If, however, the 6x9s are just sat on an OEM shelf with some holes cut in it. Bin

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Just to steal the thread for a second..

cheapest iPod controlling headunit about for a s**t van?... :)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Alpine amps that plug into the existing car wiring.
Literally zero effort to install.
They're probably not the 4x100 they quote but they are certainly more powerful than a hu on its own and there's only so many watts you need in a Clio anyway

As far as 6x9s go. Since you've got them, may as well keep them. Sure they're not #1 in sound quality compared to components but unless you're going to pile mass-tons of cash into your set-up, you're not going to be winning awards anyway.

If they're in a stealth shelf or similar, may as well keep them and then chick some nice 13cm components in the doors (Pioneer do some easy-install ones that don't need you to pull the dash out to install the tweeters).

If, however, the 6x9s are just sat on an OEM shelf with some holes cut in it. Bin

Yeah they are in a stealth rear shelf. Need to have a look what is already fitted in the doors

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Just to steal the thread for a second..

cheapest iPod controlling headunit about for a s**t van?... :)

There are some really cheap ones on halfords, I will have my old one coming out in a few weeks

Listerine & Poledo
There's the bluetooth & USB only ones to look for. About £80 on Car Audio Direct.

No cd/DVD slot, but would you use it if you could just use your phone/ 16gb memory stick?

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Picked up new head unit looks very nice - well chuffed just need to get it fitted now

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Went for the Philips one in halfrauds without the CD slot but has DAB and bluetooth for handsfree which is handy as do about 1000miles a week :)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Yeah they are in a stealth rear shelf. Need to have a look what is already fitted in the doors

barysyta.jpg

Fronts have been replaced with some kenwoods

equmanu5.jpg
pybyzaqu.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Good stuff.

So yeah, alpine + power-pack and those speakers should be pretty good. May sound a bit limp with just normal HU power.

Most people will have a pop about 6x9's because they imagine the Max-Power style of just having them sat on the shelf in full view. Provided your rear shelf has some weight to it, they should be fine, and no worse than just re-filling the rear speaker pods.

Little active sub tube in the boot wouldn't hurt tho ;)

Good stuff.

So yeah, alpine + power-pack and those speakers should be pretty good. May sound a bit limp with just normal HU power.

Most people will have a pop about 6x9's because they imagine the Max-Power style of just having them sat on the shelf in full view. Provided your rear shelf has some weight to it, they should be fine, and no worse than just re-filling the rear speaker pods.

Little active sub tube in the boot wouldn't hurt tho ;)

A sub and 6x9's has got to be the worse idea ever as the sub messes up the airflow for the 6x9's.

People dislike 6x9's as they don't have a big enough surface area/magnet combo for the volume of air in the boot. This equals worse sound quality than component door speakers.

Listerine & Poledo
some massive boot-install, yes, bad idea. but I'm thinking more a small, 200w thing, just enough to fill out below the range of the 6x9s

Box in the 6x9s, they'll be fine.

He's already (seemingly) got front components anyway, so the back is only rear-fill.