ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomTom Mobile Opinions

BMW 328 Ci

Its not like I really need navagation, but I was looking at this as a fairly cheap cool gadget to have, as I have a 6600 and it will also be easy to change from car to car.

One question I have is that on the website it says the GPS unit comes with a cigarette charger cable. Does anyone know if this have to be on all the time? Becuase I was thinking that the Sat Nav would use up the phone battery well quick, that together with the fact the 6600 has poor sound output. To resolve this I was thinking of buying a cheap handsfree kit that charges and has a speaking that run off the cigerette lighter, but would it already be in use?

What are peoples opinions on it as a whole, the only sat nav experience I have had is with my mates Pioneer one they used on top gear which is top of the line.
The cheapest I have found it is for £164, does anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Tomtom Mobile doesnt look as good as the full version on an Ipaq, plus you wont be able to add the extra software like CheckPoint and postcode searching.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 05 January 2005

Tomtom Mobile doesnt look as good as the full version on an Ipaq, plus you wont be able to add the extra software like CheckPoint and postcode searching.
Pete, i believe that there are now plugins that can take care of this functionality for TT mobile package.

Ive just bought a nokia 6600 myself. I too was looking for a cheap SAT NAV system and almost bought an Ipaq with TT3 but could really afford it at the time. Then this 6600 came up yesterday which i only paid a £100 for. Since then ive managed to source a copy of the TT mobile software and just now need to buy a GPS reciever! :0P

So allnall id have paid £180 for a 6600 Sat Nav system - TomTom mobile & GPS reciever! Which also works out to be an excellent phone too!!

As you can imagine im quite chuffed :0P

If you buy the actuall tomtom reciever you dont have to have the main lead connected your operation, its simply just a chrager as like must bluetooth devices, battery power is always a killer. It will work both connected and D/C :0)

All i need now is a decent size SD card to hold all the TT maps and third party applications & engage games ive downloaded for it :0P

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 05 January 2005

yes u can seeing as a smartphone uses a similar system to a pda u can get most of the programs like checkpoint to work on a mobile...

Clio 1.4, SV650S

my three LG 8110 is a heap of poo, im going to try and change my phone,

does anyone know the best place to buy something like a 6600. is it ebay?

im not gonna get tom tom mobile straight away, but the ability tio use it on my phone at a later date is the idea.

thanks!

Clio 1.2i 16V 2002

I have the orange spv c500, with tomtom mobile and its bloody brilliant!, the spv is a smartphone miles better than the 6600, as its windows based.

phil

S

SoundWave

I have Tomtom Mobile on my 7610 (just copied the card onto a 512Mb RS-MMC) and it is superb. I have the phone attached with velcro to the dash so it is nicely in view while driving and easily removable.

The road names are hard to read while driving but the symbols are fine and clear.

The voice instructions are loud enough to be heard comfortably (as long as the radio isnt very loud) and are very clear.

I highly recommend it if you are looking for a cheap satnav solution (you already have a compatible phone) but if you are going to use it all the time I would get a purpose built unit like the Tomtom Go.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

iv just got rid of my ipaq setup for tomtom mobile on my nokia! not tested it yet tho waiting for a 512mb mmc card to come in the post!

Clio 1.4, SV650S

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 09 January 2005

iv just got rid of my ipaq setup for tomtom mobile on my nokia! not tested it yet tho waiting for a 512mb mmc card to come in the post!
have you sold all your PDA equipment or is it hanging around?;)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

does anyone know if tom tom 3 for pocket PC needs a CD key, because i have bought a copy but the fella doesnt seem to have supplied a key or registration code.

i dont have a pda yet so i cant install it and see.

[Edited by entjm on 10 January 2005 at 11:16am]

Quote: Originally posted by entjm on 10 January 2005

does anyone know if tom tom 3 for pocket PC needs a CD key, because i have bought a copy but the fella doesnt seem to have supplied a key or registration code.

i dont have a pda yet so i cant install it and see.

[Edited by entjm on 10 January 2005 at 11:16am]
It needs a cd key and you need to activate it from the tomtom site, looks like youve been sold a dodgy one if you havent got those. You should have a product code, when you install you will be given the device code on the pda, both of which you need to enter on their site and you will then be given the activation code to make the software functional.

307 hdi (powered by derv)

does the software divert you if there is traffic or road closed like route 66 does? also can u put speed camera positions on it?