ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too Early to apply for jobs?

Not a 320d
I want to get into a networking role or similar. I dont finish uni till June, so some recruitment agencies have come back to me saying they are only seeking people who have graduated.

Am I applying too early?

Also whats the deal with grad schemes? I know IBM, BT offer them along with a small number of others, but there literally seems to be hardly any jobs for a graduate position or graduate schemes.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I wouldnt say so, you might have to apply twice. But f**k it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I got an email with all of the cisco graduate jobs yesterday, so definitely not too early

Not a 320d
Graduate schemes are different to graduate jobs id say. it seems recruiters are after graduates straight out of uni for job roles, and bigger companies, like Cisco, are offering schemes with specified start dates which are few and far between.

fucked my Cisco application up (for an ANCE) as I now cant login. They sent me an email to confirm id applied, but wont send me a forgot password email. FFS. Really wanted that one too. 6 months to go from CCNA to CCIE written D:

Who said you need to accept the job if you get offered one?

No harm and it if anything get some practice in to perfect your interview skills!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Graduate schemes are different to graduate jobs id say. it seems recruiters are after graduates straight out of uni for job roles, and bigger companies, like Cisco, are offering schemes with specified start dates which are few and far between.

fucked my Cisco application up (for an ANCE) as I now cant login. They sent me an email to confirm id applied, but wont send me a forgot password email. FFS. Really wanted that one too. 6 months to go from CCNA to CCIE written D:

If you wanted it that badly you'd call them and speak to a human about the login

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say start applying for normal non grad jobs but I think you'll stuggle a little as generally people won't want to wait that length of time to fill that level of vacancy.

More senior type roles often come with 3 month notice periods so you can string it out a bit, but applying now and not being able to start until June could put a few people off.

But no harm in applying, if someone likes you enough they'll wait :)

Not a 320d
Cheers.

I wonder if Im too inexperienced too. With only the CCNA and a networking related degree I feel pretty bare.

Lotus Elise
I am in the process of hunting down a work placement for June to September 2013, at the same time Im networking to try and find a job once I graduate.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
I got 2 job offers in Feb and I dont finish till May.

Earlier you apply the better.

Carl

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am in the process of hunting down a work placement for June to September 2013, at the same time Im networking to try and find a job once I graduate.

I am doing the same. Not having much luck so far though

H

HickiN

I would advise applying early mate...

When i was graduating (mechanical engineering), most places close march/april time for applications.... its not actually that long until you graduate!

I managed to secure 2 jobs before finishing my degree.... i basically accepted both and went for the better job in the end.... so as people have said.... until you sign the contract there is nothing tying you there other than guilt... (but remember, you don't owe them anything).... the only thing that might be in the T&C's is that you might HAVE to get a 2.1/1st etc....

even when you sign a contract, i still don't believe you a legally obliged to start employment with them anyway...

long story short - GET APPLYING!!

HickiN

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers.

I wonder if Im too inexperienced too. With only the CCNA and a networking related degree I feel pretty bare.

It really depends on the types of position you're trying to apply for, you're not going to be able to walk into a senior network engineer role without any real world experience :p

But should be enough to get an entry level position as they are usually more concerned with what kind of person you are rather than what you know.

I would advise applying early mate...

When i was graduating (mechanical engineering), most places close march/april time for applications.... its not actually that long until you graduate!

I got 2 job offers in Feb and I dont finish till May.

Earlier you apply the better.

Carl

Remember guys he's not talking grad scheme (I think), so nothing is closing on a certain date as such.

He's talking about 'normal' positions here which is pretty different.

Again for the type of role the op will be suitable for they will generally want to fill the role in a reasonable amount of time. They'll have people queuing up for them so you'll need to be special for them to want to wait that long for you.

But no harm in applying now, don't ask don't get :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed. Entry level roles are definitely about how you come across in an interview, rather than the qualifications you already have.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Never to early, for some of the automotive companies their graduate scheme application deadlines were last December

ffs he's not talking about grad schemes! :p

And it can be too early for some jobs, the fact employers have so much choice as to who they hire nowadays why wait 4 or 5 months for someone when someone else in line can start asap/in a month?

I managed to get a company to wait 3 months for me last year but that was pushing it at the time.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Remember guys he's not talking grad scheme (I think), so nothing is closing on a certain date as such.

He's talking about 'normal' positions here which is pretty different.

Again for the type of role the op will be suitable for they will generally want to fill the role in a reasonable amount of time. They'll have people queuing up for them so you'll need to be special for them to want to wait that long for you.

But no harm in applying now, don't ask don't get :)

The jobs I was offered were "normal" jobs, not graduate.

Carl

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
What sector out of interest? As I've said before 3 months isn't unusual in a lot of cases as a lot of jobs nowadays have 3 month notice periods once you reach a certain level.

Just for what the Op is wanting to do they generally have people queuing up for :)

I'm by no means saying don't apply now, just that you might find it trickier the futher away you are from being able to start if we're talking months.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Grad roles (ie grad schemes) - no, never top early really. A lot of the big companies close their schemes in December prior to your July graduation.

'normal' roles (where they have asked for a grad) - will depend on employers and how quickly they want / need someone.

It's not uncommon for people to have 12 week notice periods once you're above grad level.

My advice would be apply to big grad schemes. You can always move to a smaller company, some times it's harder to be taken seriously by bigger companies after you've worked for a smaller one.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
What sector out of interest? As I've said before 3 months isn't unusual in a lot of cases as a lot of jobs nowadays have 3 month notice periods once you reach a certain level.

Just for what the Op is wanting to do they generally have people queuing up for :)

I'm by no means saying don't apply now, just that you might find it trickier the futher away you are from being able to start if we're talking months.

I work in eDiscovery/Computer Forensics.

Carl

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Good area, not surprised at job offers with a reasonable delay though as it's a nightmare hiring for those positions (from experience working in a related area).

Getting someone decent can be a pain ;)

Networking slightly different though as much bigger pool of people to choose from, but as Deeg says 12 week notice periods are not uncommon so the nearer you get the less of an inconvenience it'll be for the person hiring.