ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tools

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

What tools do you all use (all those engineer/DIY mechanics on here).

I am constantly working on cars in my spare time, and I have always used the Halford Professional Tools. Ofcourse I have used other tools and heard stories about other tools, but in the 3 odd years of pulling cars apart and putting them back together, I have yet to break one. Not even one. And I have given them some serious grief.

Paul

I also use halfords pro series.

they are bloody excellent, and have a lifetime guarantee.

stick with them !

for workshop fittings.. (Engine hoists, engine stands, dial gauges etc etc, I use macinemart and screwfix.. again, both good quality for the purpose.

Joe

mk2 172

my dads got a huge set of snap-on tools so i just borrow them if its owt i can do, there as tough(if not tougher) than old boots!

craggy

Joe, glad to hear u r also a HPro fan. Ive actually yet to find another person with a bad word to say about them.

And another thing is that theyre not extortoinately expensive either.

I got a medium sized chest, 3 trays of tools (1/2in, 3/8in and spanners) for about £200. (that was cos they were on offer mind!) That was about 6 months back and this set is the set I carry round with me all the time, complementing the various stuff I have in my garage and workshop. All Halfords pro stuff.

Joe, what I do need, is a couple of 6 sided long reach sockets, 3/8in drive in 13mm and 1/2in size. I need these specific sockets, somthing I beleive Hafords do not do. Any advice on where to get them from (pref online). Must be good quality.

Cheers

Paul

see if you have a local motor factor (PartCo or similar)

they sell the long reach 6 sided.. or, as craggy says, find a snap on rep and get them from there.

Joe.

Will do thanks.

Theyre for getting at those seized, awkward b*****d exhaust nuts on the join at the downpipe/manifold on the 19 16Vs. Youll know the sods I mean if youve ever worked on one!

Paul

Snap-on are very good, but are they worth the extra? I mean yes its very nice to have snap on tools to show off if you are a commercial outfit, but are they really any better than some of the other top brands out there?

Plus I know someone who has broken a snap on 3/8-1/4 adapter...he tried my one, and it got it undone.

Nice brand. Not sure about the extra cost tho.

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

The guys at my local garage use Snap-on tools, and if any break, the rep just replaces them free of charge.

Leon Cupra

Snap-on reps may replace broken tools free of charge but you have payed 3X the amount in the first place. I have a 1/2" drive Roebuck socket set i kind of "found" at work . Not the best make in the world but they are built to last, and they were free)

Tim.

Been building engines for some 15 years. Used my grandfathers Britool tools for a while but now only use Snap-On. You have to pay for quality.

I have just ordered the above 2 sockets from the Snapon UK Website.

£25. Bargain. Not.

Still, my first snap on tools I have ever bought. A defining moment in my life.

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

Paul, I bet your Snap-ons will still be in use for the next generation of Mitchells! Someone will be posting a mesage here in thirty years time saying that he is still using his dads ancient Snap-ons!

yeah, snap on is good.
i bought a snap-on die grinder in the end (a mini one too, less cfm consumption) cause i went through 3 other grinders!!!

snap-on still workin, and im yet to oil it!@!!

Snap-on do a cheaper version of 90% of their stuff. Its branded under the name bluepoint and is almost as good, even if it hasnt got the snap-on logo.

Facom tools are pretty good. we use these at work (Arrows F1) and seem to do the job. (they do some nice carbon tool chests for just shy of 10k a time! a small one will only set u back 4k...)

STOP STOP STOP!!! I take it all back! I broke a Halford Pro tool tonite! It was a T-40 torx key. The end of it came clean off whilst trying to undo a cam housing.

Lifetime guarantee test time. What a time to break after I had been singing their praises!

Paul