ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top end speed.

Hi guys, i was wondering about something.

I have a late december 2001 MK1 172 Clio sport, and i was trying to see

what is the top speed it can reach (offcours not on public roads).

Anyway my car is totaly standard besides spacers on the rear wheels.

The car pulls very strong until 190 kph, and then when i shift to Fifth its like it strugles to pull further.

It reachs 200kph but after that it takes ages to reach 210kph, and i never menaged to pass that.

Friends of mine tell me that they reched 230kph with no problems.

I was wodering what to speeds did you guys reach, and wheter you all feel the lack of power in fifth !?

Thanks !

172 Cup

Mine seems to reach 120(190kph) easily but does seem to struggle after that.

230kph or 144mph seems a little ott to be honest.

VW Potato

mine feels quite strong still at 120mph, the bucking and bouncing put me off wanting to go much faster.

g

Top speed I achieved on flat ground consistently was 220 km/h....

On a slight down slope I achieved 230 km/h....

This was with 205/45/16 wheels.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Master Chief on 11 March 2003

whether you all feel the lack of power in fifth !?
The reason for this is that the mk1 172s actually have a different gearbox to the mk2 (& Cup) with a longer gearing, so thats the problem. :(

Compare the revs at 100mph in 5th between a mk1 & mk2 and the mk1 revs much lower and has to overcome the effect of the higher gearing, so is less willing to pull in 5th then a mk2 is.

I actually think 5th on a mk1 is the same as, or longer than my 6th gear! :eek:

320d M Sport

i got over 140, must say it did feel quite stable... unlike other french motors, my VTR felt like it was gonna take off at 120

Around Europe, where allowed, I have reached an indicated 142 - I thought that was flat out - sounds from the posts above like there may be a tiny bit more left .. ;)

CTR EK9 turbo

master chief - do you have a standard airbox? i found that my car was VERY unwilling when i took the pipes off and connected them to the wrong holes thus squeezing them and fouling the air flow!

I managed !45 or about 6500 rpm on a straight, didnt take that long really. That was with my gp n ecu and pipes off. Standard itl hit !40 and stay there maybe !42. I think 5th gear is spot on in my car. Held off a CTR flat out !30+ up hill easily, he couldnt get past my right hand rear window. And strongly pulled away from a monaco blue 172 mk.2. I got that on cam, i must upload it soon. Of course its down to the driver. Although i have kept up convincingly with 2 ctrs, beaten wrx estate y-reg bugeyed boat, got past my friends standard pulsar with me 3 up. Maybe mines a fast one? it does defy the figures regularly.....

Once u hit 120 in the cup there is a gap between the point from shifting to 5th when the revs fall below the cam coming on again - once the cam comes on in 5th u are around to 140+ in no time again! lovely jubely

Is there anyway of working out how fast a 172 could potentially go using the Drag/aerodynamic factors? Guess we need someone who knows something about physics!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

ive posted all the theoretical speeds before

it works out at about 143-145 depending on power output

but the gearing/revlimt wont allow any more

Went out for a spin tonight and reached 220kmh (135mph) and think I can do a little more. Had to slow down because there was a car coming but it seemed quite stable and can handle more. Cant wait till I get my piggy-back computer and see what it does then.

hehehe 115mph in a 1.2 16v, not bad eh? Thats on the flat with one hell of a long time to get from 110 to 115 (on 17s)

Done while trying to catch Geordiepaul a few weeks back

Best I could get was 137 mph, but got there quite easily.

Would additional weight count at this stage, as I was fully loaded on a trip across Europe (snowboards an all!)?

The car felt super-stable though!

Cheers

Jack

I had an indicated 140mph in mine and wasnt on the limiter, there was no hesitation in getting there at all, it just pulled all the way, weather was good though, early morning nice cold dense air!

Does anuyone know if the shift light comes on again in 5th? Would be quite amusing, what do you do, go for reverse?

In Euro I got to an indicated 139 but then had to stop for traffic, although the car was still pulling and had about 750rpms left. trouble is we are all getting around the 135-145 marks which can easily be the tolerances in our speedos.

yup execpt my 130 and not budging lol but car was going quite a bit faster than that lol

tony when did you get upto that speed lol :D

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 15 May 2003

In Euro I got to an indicated 139 but then had to stop for traffic, although the car was still pulling and had about 750rpms left. trouble is we are all getting around the 135-145 marks which can easily be the tolerances in our speedos.
Tis very true speedos are generally out by +5/10%.

So assuming you are doing 33 mph according to you spedo you are probs more likley doing 30 mph so at 148 mph you are actually doing 135mph:(

Lee

BMW M2C

I managed an indicated 140mph. Up to 135 it wasnt doing too badly, but the last 5mph were a real struggle. The car had only done a little over 1000 miles at the time so was probably a little on the tight side!!

Off the clock in my car ;)

Red line was at 7k, i was at around there, the clock is at 160 :eek: and that had gone beyond that (gearing is to 167mph in 5th at 7k rpm)

Work that one out ;)

Tony

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 15 May 2003

yup execpt my 130 and not budging lol but car was going quite a bit faster than that lol

tony when did you get upto that speed lol :D
This was on the Saturday when everyone went shopping, me, arj, v6 and jamesg went for a blast down to france and around some excellect roads. Think neil said he got to 150 whem me and arj were doing 140.

It was last year when i did that speed (on a nice bit of private duel carriageway in germany somewhere ;))

I wouldnt have liked to have seen what my EGTs were like though and i wasnt there for too long (having a quick blast with another rather rapid car).

Good fun but i dont want to do it again :eek:

Tony