ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TOP SPEEDS? 160-170MPH can this be done?

Not being funny mate, but why are you chasing such high top speeds? just seems you'd be spending lots of money to get there mate.

I've got my 172 FF to just under 140 on the speedo, then realized just how fast i was going and slowed right down!!

There fast enough imo, unless you want to lose your license.

haha im just curious, anmd wonder what the gearing allows thats all and what its rated too..

Clio 182 + Recaros
Another - Why response sorry.

You'd be better off just buying a faster car and popping over to Germany

Lotus Exige, 182
I would also ask why - but FYI, Evo have the top speed of the 1*2s at 138-140, depending on the model.

Personally, I'm with Roy and I'd rather have a shorter ratio gearbox - I find I'm on the limiter in 4th at end of Revetts (Snetterton) at an indicated 110ish, but without enough time to usefully change to 5th. Maybe I need a remap!

Another - Why response sorry.

You'd be better off just buying a faster car and popping over to Germany

I would also ask why - but FYI, Evo have the top speed of the 1*2s at 138-140, depending on the model.

Personally, I'm with Roy and I'd rather have a shorter ratio gearbox - I find I'm on the limiter in 4th at end of Revetts (Snetterton) at an indicated 110ish, but without enough time to usefully change to 5th. Maybe I need a remap!

why? well why not? its what a forum is for.. to gain knowlege and help, and what i wanted to know was the gear box safe limit too see how quick a clio would go and if it could be pushed above 140mph thats all, i dint ask to be made fun off, im sure theres alot of CS members out ther that didnt know also.. :star:

Lionel Richie
i'm pretty sure 156 was clocked out the cup at bruntingthorpe (GPS) but that was a 240bhp jobbie

the V i've had upto the same on GPS, hopefully it'll do high 160's when its done ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The cup eventually managed 145mph (GPS) on the way back from the ring. But that was down a very long hill, slipstreaming my mates Evo lol.

F*ck going faster than that in a french tin can :S

Ph1
Do those GPS things also measure quarter miles times and 0-60? What exactly is the device and how much?

Sorry for sounding like something from the dark ages but never taken much notice of GPS :eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Do those GPS things also measure quarter miles times and 0-60? What exactly is the device and how much?

Sorry for sounding like something from the dark ages but never taken much notice of GPS :eek:

Do you have a TomTom or other sat nav? Thats GPS lol.

They all provide info of your current speed & where you are ...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Dont care as I would never get to go that fast, would rather me limited to 120/130 but be able to get there quicker.

tom tom here i come :D, must buy one now, oh is there any chep oes around 100-150 which are easy to use and will pick up speed cameras or recoised mobile speed traps?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
172limiter.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
orange light looks like engine failure light lol

i'm about to fit a long ratioed jc5 out of a renault 19 turbo derv to my mk 1 clio turbo, i'll let you know how it goes on, at the minute it hits the limiter in 5th easily, indicated off the end of the clocks on std valver clocks, so 155 odd, not done it to sat nav tho

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The green light is the limiter in 5th.

The orange light is the engine management.Usually lights up after a remap...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If a 182bhp Clio will do 140mph, then to get that same car to do 170mph you will need 326bhp. This assumes gearing etc. can be changed to suit. Against increasing air resistance you need the cube of the speed multiple times the power.

So to get a Clio to do as much as 200mph you'd need 531bhp.

As far as tracks go, Goodwood's one of the faster ones, and I just about nudge 120 through Fordwater and also down the Lavant straight...that's more than enough for me.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That speedo pic is on Big Iain took years ago. The orange light is cos he had a decat and it pinged on after sitting at a steady cruise on the m-way.

Clio 197 R27 Albi
I would have acceleration over top end anyday. as long as it pulls to about 120 (which is still enough) then theres no point going much over that.

Clio 197 R27 Albi
quick question, you rekon my mates 'golf mk4 gti 1.8t 150 Bhp' would be pull better 100 - 138 that my 182? All Standard Both Cars

Tav

Clio 197
i have a tomtom now its the TOMTOM GO 530 one of the best new sat navs but its set to seconds to callcualte my movement and its propper b****cks on being ''accurate'' for calculatign my speed, for instancde i was sat at 65 on my clios speedo and the sat nav said i was only doing 59?

anythign i need to reset or settings changes ont he sat nav?