ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque Values and to grease or not to grease spark plugs ?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

I plan to fit new NGK PFR6E-10 plugs and a Valeo Ignition coil in the next few days when they arrive as my 1*2 is sounding like a Subaru the now and missfiring like fu*k and has no power at all and i'm i'm hoping this will solve the problem.
The weird this is i have no lights lit up on my dashboard and for the first minute or so the car runs fine then starts popping and banging and no power.
Thank fu*k my de-cat is fitted as if its the plugs all the unburnt fuel would be wrecking my cat :(

Does anyone on here grease up new spark plugs before fitting them to there car to save future problems.

By grease i mean a wee dab of copper slip on the threads ?
I have searched and found plenty spark plug threads on here but none really about greasing them.

Torque wise for the plugs.
How does 25Nm sound ????

And does the inlet plenum bolts need torqued up after being refitted ?
Or do they just need a wee nip up ?

Thanks

Richard

Cheers mate, all i typed into search was grease and plugs

DOH FAIL !!!! :dead:

25nm is fine aye, i dont bother doing the inlet although i use a small ratchet as ive snapped a few bolts before!

Cheers Martin

Anyone any ideas why i doesnt start missfiring till about a minutr after start up and use ?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no idea, strange one, only thing i could think is temperature related but still doesnt really make sence, dodgey plug i suppose? i just changed my plugs if you need one of my old ones as a spare to test as i know they all work

no idea, strange one, only thing i could think is temperature related but still doesnt really make sence, dodgey plug i suppose? i just changed my plugs if you need one of my old ones as a spare to test as i know they all work

I was thinking that if it still does it after i change my plugs and coil that it is maybe the leads which very rarely fail as i've read on here.
So it may be a sensor and i will have to start digging a bit deeper.

Cheers for the offer on the plugs though ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never known a lead to fail on them but you never know. does it sound like its only 1 cylinder thats not firing? that would lead me to think either...

a plug
coil pack
an injector
or a lead

the last 2 being a long shot as ive never really heard of one failing and even if they did it would show when cold too!

Lionel Richie
common, thats just from the past 2-3months

burn out plugs and knackered leads

(a few of them were down to clever people cleaning their engines, no names mentioned!)

ive never known a lead to fail on them but you never know. does it sound like its only 1 cylinder thats not firing? that would lead me to think either...

a plug
coil pack
an injector
or a lead

the last 2 being a long shot as ive never really heard of one failing and even if they did it would show when cold too!

Heres hoping its just the plugs as i'll change them first and go from there, eliminating things as i go.

^i have 7 sets of knackered leads sat in a box at work ;)

grease on plugs? don't be daft

common, thats just from the past 2-3months

burn out plugs and knackered leads

(a few of them were down to clever people cleaning their engines, no names mentioned!)

Ok i'll take back what i said about HT leads not really failing.
Well i hope it aint them thats gone as aint they £100 + to replace ? :(

PH2 Clio 172
Did you set the gap on your plugs or stick 'em straight in?
What is the general consensus on gapping new plugs?

Did you set the gap on your plugs or stick 'em straight in?
What is the general consensus on gapping new plugs?

I just put them in after running metric feeler gauges through them.
And car back is to the way it should be.

Last edited: