ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Total noob, advice needed.

Black 182 FF
Hi, I'm pretty new to all this and I've searched around on here doing a bit of reading (and still reading) but I'm wanting to know if someone can answer me a few questions or give advice.

Basically I have a black 182 with plenty of swirl marks and light scratches and I've also got some front lights that are in need of attention. I dont expect miracles, but barring a quick wash and using some SRP regularly the paint needs a bit attention. I'm planning on getting some better shampoo for the car (currently use carplan - recomendations please) and also claying it too.

I've got hold of a cheapo rotary polisher (which people on here say is quite heavy, although I need some pads) and I want to start and practise on some old body panels before I eventually move onto my car as I realise it's something I've got to be very careful with. I've watched quite a few people doing this, but never had the experience myself so I need plenty of practice - one thing I want to know about is technique, as in how many times would you go over one area and in what sort of motion?

The main thing I want to know is - what are peoples recommendations for compound, polish and finishing products? And am I right in thinking the paint on the 182 when I eventually get into it is quite thin?

Cheers for any help guys.

Black Sheep
I was like you. If you look at my threads in the detailing section most of the questions will be covered and answered. My car was also black so that should help a bit to.

A slow blue one.
I absolutely hate claying, it has to be one of the most boring parts of giving mine it's quarterly decontamination and polish. Saying that though I'd not pay someone to do it because it is so easy to do, pop to halfords and grab the Megs kit if you're after something cheap. The results are worth it, especially to get rid of any tar spots around the edges (if you don't have any tardis that is, can't fault that stuff!)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Claying is amazing if you do the prep work correctly. I love doing it.

2 hits with tardis. Wipe over with an mf pad. 1 hit with Deironizer left for 20/30 minutes. Claybar should have very little tar to pick it.

im with gally, once u have done it u can really feel the difference
makes all the other stages much better having a better surface to work with.

Black Sheep
ClayIng is therapeutic:eek: on a well maintained car that is or a well prepared one.

Black 182 FF
Cheers for the replies guys, I've already been viewing that thread on detailing world too. I'm wondering though what would peoples choices be for a compound or even polish on a BG 182. Would you just start with a soft pad with something like SRP or with a compound like G3? And how about finishing products - I keep hearing poor boys black hole mentioned. Just really want some more ideas specific to peoples experiences with Clios really.

Black Sheep
If you want to get rid of swirls mate you will have to invest in some equipment. Blackhole is amazing, but in the sunlight the swirls are still visible clear as day!

Black Sheep
No problem. If you are really wanting to get your paintwork corrected you might have to buy a kit like this. It is a fair bit of money for correcting something that most people will not notice, or even care about for that matter!

White clique
I used black hole on my car, it lifts out the very light marks but will never get shot of the moderate swirl marks. I found that when i layed it with wax, the black hole seemed to come off during the buffing process, so i didnt bother layering it after that. I wasnt a massive fan TBH.