ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing on the Motorway

We need to transport my boyfriends car from, Dursley, Gloucestershire down to Clevedon, the car has no MOT, Tax or insurance, it also has no interior in what so ever, no bumpers or windows, as it has been partially prepared to have a body kit fitted and to be resprayed. Does any one know whether it is legal to tow the car down on the motorway? What are the legal issue of it?

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
hmmm not to sure, as its not taxed or have an mot it shouldnt be on the road. its a risk you gonna have to take. how far do you have to tow the car ?

Its approximately 25 miles, but the most straight forward route is mostly motorway, can go normal roads, but that would mean driving through the middle of bristol.

Cupra
I didn't think that it was legal to tow any car on the motorway... least of all one with no MOT, insurance etc etc....

Could be wrong though.

O.T. I had a night out in Dursley once...... didn't go back again. :)

Trophy
It is illegal to tow on the motorway.

My advice would be to bite the bullet and get it on a truck, i learnt from experience!

Mat.

16vturbolee

I Seen A Car On Tow Yesterday On The M4 Past A Crash Police All Over He Went Pass And Didnt Get Stopped But Myself Im Wid The Flat Bed

Dirty E91
16vturbolee said:
I Seen A Car On Tow Yesterday On The M4 Past A Crash Police All Over He Went Pass And Didnt Get Stopped But Myself Im Wid The Flat Bed

Whats with the capitals?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
you CAN tow on the motorway but there are rules.

Max speed is 50 mph for towing another motor vehicle
You can only use lanes 1 & 2 so no outside lane.
The basic controls of the vehicle must be working,
so brakes, lights, indicators, steering, etc
when you say there is no interior, the car needs to be in a safe condition for a driver, so proper seats and seatbelts, no exposed sharp edges inside or outside. the bumpers need to be on and the car must have a windscreen.

As a recomendation I would tow on a rigid bar rather than a rope, if you have to buy a bar then hire a transporter/trailer it will be about the same money.
tax and Mot are not neccesarry if you are taking it to have its MOT or to Have work done to pass an MOT, As for insurance i would check with company that covers the towing vehicle to see what they say, most will cover a caravan/trailer etc but may need notification if its a car.

Thanks for comments, When i say no interior it has absolutely nothing inside, it is down, to metal. We have decided against towing after all the comments, we have managed to get hold of a trailer and a 4x4 for the day, so should be ok now. Just have to take extra van down to bodyshop to transport all the parts.