ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toxic Fume Light + Electrics Light on... Whats the problem?

Clio 1.2 16V
Hi everyone! First post on here, so please be gentle!

Bought a 2005 Clio, 1.2, 16V Dynamique 2 weeks ago. Put about 700 miles on it, and tonight when I was on a short drive home, both the Toxic Fume Light and Electrical light illuminated on the dashboard. Promptly following this, the revs started doing weird things.

I started the car again, and the Toxic fume light was just illuminated, however, about 2 minutes later and after driving, the electrical light made its appearance once more. (Please see pics)

The car doesn't seem to be idling properly now and the revs are a little over the show. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? Coil pack? Lambda?

Thanks!

IMG_20140204_221453.jpg

IMG_20140204_221448.jpg

Clio 1.2 16V
*UPDATE*

After a little more research I went back out to the car. When I press the brake, the rear fog light indicator on the dash comes on. Tapping on the brake, therefore, in turn making the rear fog light indicator come "On/Off", the revs on the car seemed to increase. When I took my foot off the break and the fog light indicator wasn't illuminated the revs seemed to decrease and stabilise. Is this likely to be a faulty earthing of the rear lights? Cheers!

I would guess from seeing this issue crop up a lot that it is probably the coil pack, and as the leads are built into the coil pack (unless the newer models are different) I would think a new coil pack would sort it.

If not it could be the spark plugs, injectors etc... but again coil pack could be the one.

The fog light illuminating it most probably moisture in the rear cluster housings, take them apart and spray some WD40 or similar in. should solve it.

Clio 1.2 16V
guysy,

Many thanks for your response! The Electrics light has gone out since lastnight, however, reading up on it, it's likely to make a reappearence at some point! I'll look in to replacing the spark plugs and coil pack. Would it be worth having a diagnostics test before this?

Clio 1.2 16V
Another quick question! If I do change the coil pack, and that is the issue, will the dash lights need cleared manually, or will these clear automatically if the problem is rectified? Thankyou :)!

Clio sport 172 cup
It should go out by itself if it's rectified but after a misfire it's always worth resetting the adaptives of the engine but it's not compulsory to do it,u should get a diagnostic test carried out coz if the lights on then it will tell u exactly what is wrong may save time and hassle,the rear light issue will be a bad earth in the connector,with your sidelights on put ur hazard lights on and see if the sidelights flash with the indicators,u need to take the rear lights out disconnect the connector and tighten all the terminals to make a better connection

Clio 1.2 16V
Cheers for the response! I’ve booked the car in for a diagnostics check in the morning. I’ll drop it in before work and grab it at some point during the day when I can get a chance. I will update on the outcome of this. Bought some spark plugs, but I’ll hold off from buying any other bits until tomorrow when I know what’s going on.

As for the fog light problems, I’ll grab some WD tonight and update on that either this evening or tomorrow taking into consideration your comments.

Much appreciated.

Clio 1.2 16V
Back again! Another quick query! The garage i'm booked in for tomorrow uses "Autologic" diagnostic software. It has Renault spec from 2000 onwards. Is this a good diagnostics tool? Or should I find somewhere that uses clip?

Last edited:
  Clio sport 172 cup
I'm not sure tbh because I work for Renault I just use clip but I can imagine it will be fine to at least point u in the direction of what the issue is,u won't need wd40 for the rear lights if it's the connectors they will just need adjusting ie tightening,mind you it probs wouldn't hurt,the rear lamps are a very common issue on clio's

Clio 1.2 16V
Cheers for the responses! Had to reschedule for tomorrow. Friend dad owns a dealers, he's going to run diagnostics tomorrow. Will update then :) Will also advise on lights :)

Clio 1.2 16V
Had the car checked out yesterday. Codes were to do with the throttle. Car had been left standing for a while before j
I bought it. Faults cleared and put some cleaner in fuel to break down any dirt. Lights still off 100 miles later. Sorted!