ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toxic Fumes Warning Light!

Driving home from work Friday and saw that the above light had come on the dash!

Pulled over and phoned Renault to see what it meant. They immediately said it was because at least one of my coils had gone.

Just wondering if it could be anything else or will it be the coils as they predicted.

They also quoted £50 labour and then £36.50 per coil to replace. Does this sound like a good price or not?>

Thanks.

Clio 182
whatatash said:
Driving home from work Friday and saw that the above light had come on the dash!

Pulled over and phoned Renault to see what it meant. They immediately said it was because at least one of my coils had gone.

Just wondering if it could be anything else or will it be the coils as they predicted.

They also quoted £50 labour and then £36.50 per coil to replace. Does this sound like a good price or not?>

Thanks.

I had that light and it was the ignition coils (on my last Clio)... mine was done under warranty though, all four of them, two went then the other two went a few weeks later. They told me to bring it straight in and not to drive it apart from going straight to the garage. It had a nasty smell and kept going to stall at the lights.

Thanks to that Karen.

I'm not getting any smells as yet and need to drive the car to work as they cant get me in until Wednesday, and apart from loosing power Friday dinner it's been fine since!

Not sure how to explain what it looks like but its the bottom light on the right hand side of the dash.

It's yellow and i suppose looks a bit like a pump or summat!!!

Clio 182
whatatash said:
Thanks to that Karen.

I'm not getting any smells as yet and need to drive the car to work as they cant get me in until Wednesday, and apart from loosing power Friday dinner it's been fine since!

Might be worth phoning a few dealers then - both the ones I spoke to said not to drive it and although one couldnt fit it in, the other one (thanks to Reevethorpe Kingston!) fitted it in straight away as it was quite a quick job to fix. Mine was awful, really juddery the whole time, not driveable id say.

Clio 182
whatatash said:
Not sure how to explain what it looks like but its the bottom light on the right hand side of the dash.

lol I remember seeing it and thinking wtf is that! Had to pull over and get the handbook out!

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Sounds like its the coils - had mine go about a few months ago - very very simple to change - have a go and save yourself the £50 labour.

When I was quoted for labour from the garage it was £50 for a clip diagnostic and another £50 to have them fit the coil pack.

Thanks for that Mike.

£36.50 ea then sounds a bit steep. Although she did say that if they all had gone the the Coil Pack is cheaper.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
What kind of car have you got?

Depends on what car or engine you've got sometimes you have to buy the coil pack which has all 4 coils and HT leads.

The coil pack with leads is about £52 + Vat if I remember correctly.

It's an 02 172.

Just had another quote from a different Renault dealer and it's booked in tomorrow costing £93.10 all in.

New coil pack + labour + VAT.

RB 200 Cup!
this exact thing happened to me plus i had a loss in power - it means a coils gone - sounds alot to repair it - mine was done for 30 quid including spare coil (but thats cos my mates a renault tech) - try ebay for a spare part - not that hard to fit either

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
whatatash said:
It's an 02 172.

Just had another quote from a different Renault dealer and it's booked in tomorrow costing £93.10 all in.

New coil pack + labour + VAT.

Thats not bad to be honest - mine was going to be £100 for labour + £60 for the part but that was arnold clarke who are on the rob...

Thanks for comments.

As long as that price seems reasonable then i'll get it done tomorrow and let you know whether it fixed the problem or not.

Cheers.
Brett

Monaco Blue 172
whatatash said:

lol I remember seeing it and thinking wtf is that! Had to pull over and get the handbook out!
haha. that was me on the m4 this morning :eek:

i recently had a decat fitted - does this make it less likely my coils are dead? car still drives beautifully, no staggering or owt.

cheers all

Mine came on the other day. No nasty smell or affect on how it drove.

Pretty sure it came on when the bracket on the middle section of my exhuast snapped off - think it just tweaked the lambda sensor when it went.

Got my friend Ralph Wiggum to hook up his diagnostic box (think thats what its called?!) to the ECU. He found the error code and switched the light off. It has'nt come on again. I've had the exhaust bracket fixed and the car passed the MOT this week.

i recently had a decat fitted - does this make it less likely my coils are dead? car still drives beautifully, no staggering or owt.

cheers all

Most likely its your decat. Its the cat which reduces the toxic fumes coming out of your exhaust btw! ;)

I was a bit worried my sports cat had stopped functioning properly when my light came on.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
If it is the coil its really easy to change and diagnose yourself. The coil pack on my '51 172 comes as one unit, dont know if the people above saying there is 4 separate ones have a different model.

You wont be able to do any of this unless you have plastic plyers or non conductive ones.

Remove the engine cover. look towards the back left for the coil pack, it may have a cover, cant remember.

once you can see the 4 terminals with the HT leads plugged into them your in the right place.

Start the car, using the plastic plyers remove one of the HT leads, check for furious sparking and them clip it back in place. go through all four to see if one isnt sparking.

turn car off .

Buy the coil pack yourself from renault its about £50. then just replace the unit being really carefull you get the 4 leads put back in the right order.

This will fix the problem but you might need to reset the error to get the warning light to stop on the dash.

Today my 03 cup developed a misfire and also had the toxic fumes warning light flashing (intermittently).

I thought it might be the coil pack so I investigated similarly as to above, upon removal of three of the HT leads the engine almost stalled, as expected. The other lead (#1) when removed made no difference to the misfire but there is still spark from the pack.

I'm assuming/hoping its either the lead or the plug, does this sound reasonable?

cheers

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
I would by new sparkplugs first, and if that dont work then new leads.
Europarts sell them for about £18.
same prob with mine before turbo too!
i changed plugs and this fixed it!
i think they burnt out because i put too much octane additive in lol:lolup:

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Today my 03 cup developed a misfire and also had the toxic fumes warning light flashing (intermittently).

I thought it might be the coil pack so I investigated similarly as to above, upon removal of three of the HT leads the engine almost stalled, as expected. The other lead (#1) when removed made no difference to the misfire but there is still spark from the pack.

I'm assuming/hoping its either the lead or the plug, does this sound reasonable?

cheers
you should never disconnect the coil pack or leads when the engine is running!:eek: