ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo 888 as afront pair only?

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
I have just done my first trackday with a PH1 172 that I picked up last year. I have sorted the basics out for a bit of track work, ie brakes, suspension and also fitted Toyo T1R's all round on the standard 15" F1's. I want like to do about 5-6 trackdays this year, and as a cost compromise was wondering if anyone was running track tyres on the front only while keeping road tyres on the back?

Anyone got suitable experience or advice on this, and will it upset the balance / feel of how the car behaves?

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Thanks for the replies. I have just been reading the reviews on the RSR'S, and seem very positive.

Clio 182
Not entirely sure there's a saving to had ... I rotate my track tyres to even the wear. I've only run used tyres r888 and AO48 there's a big improvement in performance and confidence in the car and handling. Generally the clios are light and tend not to wear tyres that bad. I'd only consider running road tyres on the rear in the wet only, but my 888s were just as good in the wet as thoses on road tyres, but there was no standing water.

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Thanks for the advice, I think I will have a punt on a new set of the Federal RSR'S which I will use as a second set of wheels. Is there any downsides if I stick them on Dynamique 15" rims (for trackdays), I have had a look through other wheel related threads and can't see any obvious downsides. PH1 15" wheels are few and far between!

My car is a PH1 172, I am running 15" F1's at the moment with 20mm front spacers + 172 Cup wishbones, lowered on Eibach Sport springs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Id definately sooner have the same all round, otherwise when you try and push on hard the back will just break away, not ideal if you are trying to get into trackdays.

The RSR are an awesome tyre, I cant get over how well they work as an all rounder for pennies!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You'll need 7j rims for 195 width tyres really.

Dynamique rims are 6j so that wont work to well.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Fair enough, but when i've fitted 195's to 6j wheels before it resulted in strange handling.

You'll need 7j rims for 195 width tyres really.

Dynamique rims are 6j so that wont work to well.

A 595 RSR tyre is designed to work as optimum on a 6" rim , it will fit from 5.5" to 7" , all the data you need is on the federal website

therefore a dynamic rim at 6J is fine. in fact its the best rim width

and as chip correctly says a 7" rim suits a 205 tyre width , that goes for 99% of brands of tyre .

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'm just talking from past experience with Hankook V12 evo's.

RS-R's have a stiffer sidewall but i'm still not convinced.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm just talking from past experience with Hankook V12 evo's.

RS-R's have a stiffer sidewall but i'm still not convinced.

The fact the manufacturer is saying they are fine should be enough to convince you unless you have specifically tried this tyre on that width wheel IMHO.

If you two are confident as are Federal then I can't really argue can I.

i always with track cars get the most info from a manufacturer i can , then testing and getting tyre temps on different rim widths i can confirm that 6 j is best (for 195-50-15), less and you have more sidewall flex , more and it starts to stretch the sidewall and you see the difference when you check tyre temps and how much pressure they gain .

On most tyres i would look for a max 2psi gain on a session to be working at optimum and a decent temp spread but they will also depend on geo setup .

the other crucial bit of info you really want is the optimum hot running pressure (or optimum temp), as you always set pressures for circuit tyres hot , not cold .

iv run track tyres on front and road tyres on rear. i did it for same reason as you to save some money.i had no bother in my focus. rear was slippy but i just changed my braking style to suit. no trail braking for instance but now i run full set of federals and they are great value for money.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Seems to be variations of ratings both F & G which would be grippier??

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Just ordered a set of 4 from mytyres, so much cheaper than anyware else! I also picked up a set of the Dynamique rims as they seemed the best value to go with. Thanks for all the advice!