ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car Coilovers

Clio 172
Car is a stripped 182 (non cup) with a 6pt full cage running on proper RSpec tyres (Yokohama AO50)

Suspension in car is Standard Spax RSX full coilover (front 342lbs rear 228lbs) and wanting to give the car a birthday so will check over all bushes ect but feel car is too soft for a dedicated track car so thinking either increase spring stiffness of current setup (cant go too far or shocks valving be out) or go for a proper track/race spec setup.

looking at options such as the KTR 750 mc coilovers (massively updated Spax setup being front 740lbs & rear 450lbs), AVO, AST, BC but starting to get a bit lost on what the difference is between those on offer. Ie where is the extra cost in say the KTR Spax set vs AST 5100 1-ways?

Any help with experience on track/race car set ups would be appreciated.

Prefer rear coilovers (not seperate spring and shock) but not a deal breaker.

Clio 172
If it’s purely a Track car, AST are the best. No question.
In no doubt that AST are really good but what makes them so much better then say The KTR Spax or BC option that are say £300 less. Is it over all quality, better tech / damper control…….
I’m here for all the nerd answer as keen to know

also forgot to ask seems the BC is serviceable but can anyone confirm if the rest are or are they throw away when old?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
BC is not really serviceable. It costs as much to do a basic service as BC charge for a new replacement strut. You therefore just replace.
The BC is a good all round kit. Its been a good quality cheap option for the last few years. The price increases of importing have put it in range of other kits now though.
The Spax is a good kit I'm sure but like GAZ I think when making a full on track car you find the limitations of a twin tube damper. They dont work as well when at high spring rates as theres not enough piston movement. AVO come in at £1200 and are monotube so this is probably going to be the first main option for what you need. A monotube damper is able to dampen a smaller piston movement so gives a little more finesse to the setup.
Spring options are a little limited at the rear if you want a small 1.9" spring to clear the bodywork 450lb and 600lb are available from us.. The rear coilovers can be built with any 2.25" spring but on some cars a little massaging of the bodywork is sometimes required depending on the chassis build tolerances.
I dont know current prices of AST but they are probably around £1000 more again and £1500 if you want their top mounts. Very good coilovers but you pay for it. The rear springs are metric so ever slightly thinner than springs made to imperial measurements to I think clear ever so slightly better. AST say yearly checks and rebuilds so be prepared to budget for that. Its an expensive investment that should be looked after.

I can supply BC, GAZ and AVO.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Thanks for the reply Kev, always a great help.
Keen to hear others thoughts especially if looked at BC or AVO and went to AST or the other way and what your thoughts were